Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2009, 05:05 PM

109 posts, read 299,208 times

Advertisements

Not a day passes by that I don't think of my ex. It's been almost a year now but everything I do (and whomever I may be seeing or flirting with) - it's like he's with me, occupying an invisible seat in between my date and I. I know what he'd think about my replies to someone else or how he'd rate a movie that I've just seen etc.

Before you jump to harsh conclusions, I'll defend myself saying I'm not delusional :P I can see the past's in the past AND my hope is that when someone will come along who I'll connect with as intensely as I did with him, this feeling will fade away.

Does it happen to someone else that - when what's currently going on in your love life does not satisfy you - you mentally go back to that comforting space and time when you were with someone you loved dearly ?

If yes, how do you avoid that this hideaway (is this what it is ?) gets in the way of shaping the future?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2009, 05:14 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,206,877 times
From personal experience to your situation, I think you need to spend some time coming to terms with things and on yourself verses looking for someone else to "take those feelings for him" away. That's what's known as 'baggage' and it can be quite the load for someone else to bear and may make you needy.

I don't think how you feel is abnormal, but you have to decide how long you'll pine away for this person while life and him moves on? I would seriously do some self esteem boosting activities or do good activites - just one thing new for yourself. Like a class or volunteering, just to change your pace and hopefully put a new perspective on things for you so you can go on into another relationship with a clean slate.

Old 10-31-2009, 07:50 PM

1,570 posts, read 5,990,807 times
I agree with Thursday007. A new love will not wipe out the old. First, you must get past the old relationship. It's nearly like being in grief after a death. The relationship died and you must come to terms with it. Only after you have come to full acceptance will you be able to more on. It's very difficult but try to remember it's not fair to you or a new love to have the intrusion of the past love.
Take care of yourself.

Old 10-31-2009, 08:05 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,251,349 times
I agree with the above posters, but that's not to say you shouldn't date. Just keep the relationships from getting too serious for awhile. Practice, practice, practice. It's a good time for lots of friendships.

I've never had problems getting over a "breakup", but my wife died suddenly several years ago. It's tough.

Old 10-31-2009, 08:08 PM

4,253 posts, read 9,459,433 times
What was that movie's name? A woman had a blown-up picture of her ex on a cork board. As she experienced new things, she took pictures of them (travels, restaurants, books, movies, people) and pinned one after another over his ex's poster. Eventually, there was no his face left...

In short, time will heal.

If one wants to boost the healing process, generally the more extreme endeavors the faster the healing. Something like this (well, that's extreme, but an idea):

Trans World Expedition: Driving around the world - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap_travel/20091028/ap_tr_ge/travel_dispatches_driving_around_the_world_1&q=tra ns_world_expedition_the_year_of_living_dangerously - broken link)

Old 10-31-2009, 08:09 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,158,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossing over View Post
Not a day passes by that I don't think of my ex. It's been almost a year now but everything I do (and whomever I may be seeing or flirting with) - it's like he's with me, occupying an invisible seat in between my date and I. I know what he'd think about my replies to someone else or how he'd rate a movie that I've just seen etc.

Before you jump to harsh conclusions, I'll defend myself saying I'm not delusional :P I can see the past's in the past AND my hope is that when someone will come along who I'll connect with as intensely as I did with him, this feeling will fade away.

Does it happen to someone else that - when what's currently going on in your love life does not satisfy you - you mentally go back to that comforting space and time when you were with someone you loved dearly ?

If yes, how do you avoid that this hideaway (is this what it is ?) gets in the way of shaping the future?
I have been where you are now. I know how hard it is. Little by little the wounds will heal. It takes time. Sometimes more time than other times. Somtimes a lifetime. It has been about 25 years for me and not a day goes by that I do not think about him at least once.

My heart goes out to you. But eventually you will find someone that will make you hurt less and maybe even forget him.

Hugs

20yrsinBranson

Old 11-01-2009, 10:35 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,211,585 times
I think that's an indication of your not being ready to date.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships