Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 02:51 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,264,921 times

Advertisements

God people..its just a body...People don't have to like the way they look. And not all women cry like babies if they are called fat, get fat or go ugly. I personally can't stand it when girls do this either. Workout, get surgery or therapy and shut up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2009, 02:51 PM

2,383 posts, read 6,058,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanBlasphemy View Post
I think, a lot of this post is ridiculous. Everyone has something about themselves they want to change - it's just life. Some people are more ignorant about it than others. It doesn't matter. Hell, I wish I had six-pack abs, straight hair, and an ass to amaze every woman I see, but I don't, so I'll just continue on living and being happy with myself.

If we would just stop focusing on how we look, and start focusing on how we live, the world would be a much better place.

That sounds so easy to do, but when the focus has been primarily on your looks and weight, it's hard to turn that off! My parents were so weight conscience when I was growing up, that they actually put me on Weight Watchers in kindergarten. Now, my mom was an areobics instructor and my dad worked out all the time so they thought this was a good idea! Looking back, I was chubby as a kid, but NOT Weight Watchers worthy!

I'm telling you this NOT to have you bash my parents, 'cause I will not have that, but I was obviously raised differently from you so it's not as easy for my to tune out and let go as it for you!

Old 11-16-2009, 03:00 PM

3,424 posts, read 5,976,319 times
I think the reason men perceive there to be pressure have wealth and women perceive there to be all this pressure on them to look a certain way is because they both know they can do something about it. Or at least they should have done something about it. I know no one is perfect, but you never hear men say that they feel pressured because they have an ugly face or because they're balding or not well endowed. The same goes for women..they never say they feel pressure about the things they dont control.

Its always the things that they could and should seize control over. (Weight, money/income, clothes..)

Sometimes I wonder if its not all just a ploy to shirk accountability to themselves (men and women). I feel if you're a man, and you're over 30 and you're flat broke or you're woefully out of shape, you really have no one to blame but yourself for staying that way.

Old 11-16-2009, 03:04 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,684,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsRiss7383 View Post
I will put myself out there and say I genuinely have issues with disliking my body and it's not because I am fishing for compliments. I do compare myself to women on tv, in the media, etc. and I know that I will never measure up, but I also compare myself to women on the street as well. I think its a self-esteem issue that is brought on by the media, but made worse by my own feelings of inadequacy. I DO think men judge women harshly and I often feel I don't measure up. My point in all this is to not assume that these women are manipulating you for compliments. I think women have a ton of pressure on them and I think that the media and many (not all) men make this harder. Women make it harder too. Women are hard on women. It's not easy being a woman in this society. I'm sure I'll get flamed and picked apart for this but it is a stuggle of mine and many women I know.
It's a "struggle" that's in your head.

Old 11-16-2009, 03:07 PM

29,746 posts, read 34,396,829 times
Quote:
I know no one is perfect, but you never hear men say that they feel pressured because they have an ugly face or because they're balding or not well endowed.
There have been a number of threads on this forum by short guys and bald guys and hairy guys and whatever else guys worrying if women will like them.

Quote:
The same goes for women..they never say they feel pressure about the things they dont control.
There can actually be more pressure for the things you can't control, simply because you can't control them.

Old 11-16-2009, 03:14 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,401,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
God people..its just a body...People don't have to like the way they look. And not all women cry like babies if they are called fat, get fat or go ugly. I personally can't stand it when girls do this either. Workout, get surgery or therapy and shut up.
If only we all had your confidence.

My husband has mentioned therapy to me and I have considered it, but it's a bit difficult for me right now with 2 little ones and a husband who travels often and commutes to another state.

As for surgery, I was scheduled for that in my mid-twenties (reduction) but canceled at the last minute. Surgery isn't something to take lightly. And now that I'm a mother, I'm definitely a lot more hesitant about it for a number of reasons: the precedence I'm setting for my daughter, recovery and most importantly, the risks involved.

Old 11-16-2009, 03:19 PM

3,424 posts, read 5,976,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
There have been a number of threads on this forum by short guys and bald guys and hairy guys and whatever else guys worrying if women will like them.
I am aware that there are a few (I really havent actually seen that many on here)..but those men seem to speak more to their insecurities, and being self conscious as opposed to feeling "pressured" by the media about their shortcomings. I havent really come across too many threads where men just sit around saying they feel pressured to look one way or the other. They may hate being short, bald, and hairy, and complain about how hard it is for them to get women. But I just dont recall them offloading the responsibility for their poor self image on the media's having told them that they're all supposed to have more hair or be taller.

Im sure an old thread will be dug up and linked for me, that contains a whole roster full of men who are doing just that. Just to make me look even stupider...lol..but no I havent seen much complaining about media pressure from men on here, despite their myriad complaints about their shortcomings.

Old 11-16-2009, 03:28 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,264,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
If only we all had your confidence.

My husband has mentioned therapy to me and I have considered it, but it's a bit difficult for me right now with 2 little ones and a husband who travels often and commutes to another state.

As for surgery, I was scheduled for that in my mid-twenties (reduction) but canceled at the last minute. Surgery isn't something to take lightly. And now that I'm a mother, I'm definitely a lot more hesitant about it for a number of reasons: the precedence I'm setting for my daughter, recovery and most importantly, the risks involved.
I would not say its really confidence. I just feel there is always something that could be done that would be more fruitful & fun than fretting. Plus working with media I can see the real and fake of whatever image.

Oh you don't need it anyway..You have random dudes feeling you up in formal wear...Very bond-girl sexy type lifestyle if you ask me!

I know I would be very afraid of it if I was a mom. I think I would go to the working out route for that...Boobie reducts....Ugh...That hits a logical point with me. Its not really vanity when you lower back feels like someone kicked it and your neck is burning. I really have no idea how women sport DD and up. It gave my gram an arthritic back.

Message to your daughter would read as:
You want one of these you better get a good career or a man with one.

Old 11-16-2009, 03:29 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,176,155 times
Default Why do so many women hate their bodies?

I don't know. But I do love my body. I know that it's far from perfect, but there are many parts of it that I am very pleased with. And my very favorite part of my body is my brain. Perhaps it's because I am an optimist by nature. In addition, it seemed to me that life is nothing but a hassle for those women that do have perfect faces and bodies. All that upkeep, and extra adulation and male attention that I honestly wouldn't want to have. I really find if very nice to be able to be in public unoticed and left alone.

On a related note, I just found out that OJ Simpson's daughter Sydney was working with me since spring as a member of the part time staff. Her last shift was last week because she's moving out of town. She says that she feels the need to move frequently. I feel sorry for her.

Old 11-16-2009, 04:56 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
Or just be happy with yourself. Grow some self confidence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships