Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 03:53 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,253,321 times

Advertisements

What is the deal with that? Seriously! I understand if there are kids involved to the level of going to events for kids but beyond that...?

I mean is it really that hard to make NEW friends that you have not slept with yet or what? There are tons of people out there yet people have to go hang out with an ex and act like its nothing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2009, 03:55 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,473,498 times
I think some people still have an attachment to their ex. I am sure there are some people that did not wish to be an ex and still wish to be involved. With minor children that break is harder, but I have 4 children and the last person I want to hang out with is my ex!

Old 11-29-2009, 04:00 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,657,993 times
Unless there are kids involved, I do not see the point.
However, some couples split..."on good terms" which I think is awesome!
If you are into another relationship with someone new, then no. There should not be a question of them hanging out with the ex, but if they are still single, why not?

Old 11-29-2009, 04:02 PM

3,284 posts, read 3,523,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
What is the deal with that? Seriously! I understand if there are kids involved to the level of going to events for kids but beyond that...?

I mean is it really that hard to make NEW friends that you have not slept with yet or what? There are tons of people out there yet people have to go hang out with an ex and act like its nothing?
Just people who can't completely let go most times.

Old 11-29-2009, 04:02 PM

11,865 posts, read 16,996,281 times
There is something to be said for having someone in your life who knows you so completely.

Old 11-29-2009, 04:09 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,253,321 times
?

Old 11-29-2009, 04:15 PM

302 posts, read 885,277 times
Sometimes you really are better off as friends with an ex, so why not hang out with them?

Granted, I think there needs to be a significant time apart to make 100% sure you have moved to the platonic side of things. But if you get along with that person, why not?

I am now friends with an ex, and he is my best guy friend. My boyfriend thinks he is great, I think the friends GF is great, and we are all friends....with no weirdness. But, he and I also did not hang out or anything for a few years after we dated. I think that makes the difference.

Old 11-29-2009, 04:18 PM

2,540 posts, read 6,228,936 times
Quote:

Maybe you're speaking from an experience you had, but I have no desire to hang w/ my ex. This is my 2nd marriage and my dh's 2nd marriage. He also has no desire to hang w/ his ex. We have both moved on w/ eachother.

Old 11-29-2009, 04:33 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,896,349 times
I have exes that were either frineds b4 being a GF, GF thing didn't work out but are still great friends. In addition, I have exes which with whom I things started off sexually, both decided we were not right for each other relationship wise, but remained friends. In both of these cases the split was amicable and neither party has a desire to pursue a sexual or any other type of relationship outside of the friendship. Without there being any other factors, if you are uncomfortable with an SO hanging out with exes, I'd imagine you'd be uncomfortable with them hanging out with any member of the opposite sex.

Old 11-29-2009, 04:57 PM

3,440 posts, read 8,038,237 times
Quote:

Well, for some people, it's hard to break off ties completely, it's hard because they build up their entire life around ONE person so I can see if things went sour they would want to hang on to it as long as they could.

But IMO, the biggest thing that keeps couples coming back to each other is sex! You know, a couple may hate each other, but on the flip side, they may have great, hot, animal, motel sex with each other! That's really hard to walk away from especially if the new people you are dating are not that experienced.

At the end, I don't like it either because how can a person move forward a new relationship if they are still playing around in the past? Fights can also start this way because new lovers and old lovers will clash because the middle party did not put any limits on anybody.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships