Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 11:45 PM

110 posts, read 304,160 times

Advertisements

What do you think of a guy who is 35 years old & has been dating the same girl since high school but has never married her? They have had a rocky relationships so I often wonder why he is still with her. Why do guys stay with a girl they are unhappy with?? I am his friend but he tells me all the time about his doubts w/her. They finally started living together a year ago but things got even worse yet he is still with her. Help me understand my friend!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2010, 03:09 AM

4,576 posts, read 9,166,714 times
Because she is the only way he can get laid is what first comes to mind

Old 03-07-2010, 04:29 AM

146 posts, read 371,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happygirl10 View Post
What do you think of a guy who is 35 years old & has been dating the same girl since high school but has never married her? They have had a rocky relationships so I often wonder why he is still with her. Why do guys stay with a girl they are unhappy with?? I am his friend but he tells me all the time about his doubts w/her. They finally started living together a year ago but things got even worse yet he is still with her. Help me understand my friend!
By the general sound of it, he is attached to her but is sick of the relationship. If he is turning to you for advise, i suggest you telling him that he needs to speak to her about their relationships because it is only both of them which are obligated to do so. It's best to stay out of couple's problems, it causes to much drama.

This guy sounds like he is loyal to her and cares about her but their are internal relationship issues that they both need to resolve together.

You can be there to support a person/friend who are having relationship problems by talking, so be empathetic and show support but take yourself out of the zone where you do not become to emotionally involved or interfere with their relationship.

Old 03-07-2010, 05:18 AM

4,897 posts, read 18,496,859 times
at this point, he has taken away her "youth"! i bet he feels bad about that and feels he has to stay with her. she probably feels like she has put in so much time that now they kind of have to stay together. how sad! i bet they both passed up their true loves over not knowing when enough is enough

Old 03-07-2010, 05:39 AM

9,230 posts, read 16,553,005 times
There are are several possibilities.

1) Toxic relationships are like drugs for some people. They're addicting.

2) He may be so used to her nonsense, he's desensitized to some degree and doesn't know how to leave.

3) He doesn't feel he is worthy of better.

4) It's not as bad as he claims it is and he's just looking for attention.

Old 03-07-2010, 06:28 AM

4,379 posts, read 5,386,950 times
He may not believe in marriage. He may be too scared to commit. He may have other avenues that supersede marriage, such as career, interests, etc.

If he's your friend, you shouldn't be that judgmental.

Old 03-07-2010, 01:43 PM

725 posts, read 2,323,193 times
Quote:
Not knowing the dude or the girl he's dating, there could be several possibilities ---------
Does he live in a Community Property State? Maybe he doesn't want to get married for fear of being chained down, or inheriting her debts, Credit record, or whatnot.

How do you know for sure he's unhappy? Did he actually tell you this??????

Some people are just hard to figure out. Could be he's lonely and wants companionship and she's the only 1 that will take him. Who knows??????

Old 03-07-2010, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
Because she is the only way he can get laid is what first comes to mind
LOL. That might be true - haha.

Old 03-07-2010, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenda_1988 View Post
By the general sound of it, he is attached to her but is sick of the relationship. If he is turning to you for advise, i suggest you telling him that he needs to speak to her about their relationships because it is only both of them which are obligated to do so. It's best to stay out of couple's problems, it causes to much drama.

This guy sounds like he is loyal to her and cares about her but their are internal relationship issues that they both need to resolve together.

You can be there to support a person/friend who are having relationship problems by talking, so be empathetic and show support but take yourself out of the zone where you do not become to emotionally involved or interfere with their relationship.
I think what you said it probably right. I have strongly suggested couples counseling but neither have acted on it. He said they both have low self-esteem so that is probably playing into it too. And, I know you are right about getting to emotionally involved because I think I already am. Now I am trying to figure out how to get myself back out of it. Thanks for your comments.

Old 03-07-2010, 01:53 PM

4,941 posts, read 8,329,467 times
Quote:
Sometimes familiarity breeds laziness to do anything about the relationship.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships