Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 02:57 AM

5,648 posts, read 8,057,151 times

Advertisements

For some reason, I get people (mainly women) of other races asking which race I am due to my light complexion. I be wondering whether they're blind or just stupid. I choose to not disclose my race since 96 percent of women of all races are freaked out by black men anyway.

But I don't get offended when people confuse me of another race. Its been happening since high school.

Why would a woman want to know which race I am? Why do women have so many racial qualifications?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2009, 06:36 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,072,850 times
Just like some people do not want a tall guy, fat girl, short girl, blonde, they have 'requirements.'

It's not really fair for you to get offended and cry racism. Some people do not want to date out of their race. It may be 'blunt' and unfair in your eyes, but it's realistic. Of course you will not get many people to admit to it, but that's the way it is (for some people).

Please don't be offended by this, but maybe you are light but if you wound up with a white woman, genetically you could have a dark baby. Some people cannot or will not handle that. I am sure you can find some women who do not care but don't get angry at the ones who do.

Old 12-06-2009, 06:39 AM

5,648 posts, read 8,057,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
Just like some people do not want a tall guy, fat girl, short girl, blonde, they have 'requirements.'

It's not really fair for you to get offended and cry racism. Some people do not want to date out of their race. It may be 'blunt' and unfair in your eyes, but it's realistic. Of course you will not get many people to admit to it, but that's the way it is (for some people).

Please don't be offended by this, but maybe you are light but if you wound up with a white woman, genetically you could have a dark baby. Some people cannot or will not handle that. I am sure you can find some women who do not care but don't get angry at the ones who do.
I'm wasn't offended and I'm not crying racism! I'm wondering why they would ask such a question if they could see me upfront.

Old 12-06-2009, 06:44 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,072,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
I'm wasn't offended and I'm not crying racism! I'm wondering why they would ask such a question if they could see me upfront.
I don't know. For some people it's a big deal. Maybe they are just curious or like you say, stupid.

Old 12-06-2009, 06:46 AM

3,382 posts, read 4,080,860 times
Just because they are inquiring about what race you are, don't mean they are using it to qualify or disqualify you. Maybe they look at you, and can not tell if you are Black, Latino, etc... so, they are just curious.

Old 12-06-2009, 06:48 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,082,223 times
Quote:
because not everyone can tell and they are curious. For the longest ime I thought a girl I worked with was bi-racial black and white. Turns out, she's puerto rican. I didn't ask, I heard her say it.

Old 12-06-2009, 07:16 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,720,562 times
It's an acceptable question.

They can tell what I am, even if I go to Iceland , for I have distinctive features which are too easy to tell.

Old 12-06-2009, 07:20 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times
Quote:
Maybe they are just curious why you look the way you do in a way that has nothing at all to do with whether or not they want to date you.

I'm Chinese, and I frequently get asked by people (mostly women) what ethnicity I am. I've been even thought a Native American a few times. And someone suggested I dress up like Pocahontas for this last Halloween. But I don't act or carry myself like the average Chinese woman, and I also speak perfect formal English without much slang or regional accent.

Old 12-06-2009, 07:28 AM

49 posts, read 84,302 times
I can understand women being interested in what race you are.. Like previously said.. If you are black, and get with another race, such as a white women, chinese, asian... You two could produce a black raced baby, and not all people can accept that..

I seriously think when people say race doesn't matter, they don't mean it... Now I know some do, but I bet 95% really think it matters.

DISCLAIMER: IM NOT RACIST, AND THINK NOTHING LESS OF ANY RACE THAN ANOTHER!

Old 12-06-2009, 07:29 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
Quote:
For some reason, I get people (mainly women) of other races asking which race I am due to my light complexion. I be wondering whether they're blind or just stupid. I choose to not disclose my race since 96 percent of women of all races are freaked out by black men anyway.

But I don't get offended when people confuse me of another race. Its been happening since high school.

Why would a woman want to know which race I am? Why do women have so many racial qualifications?
I agree with the posters who assume that it's simply a case of being curious. The curiosity isn't confined to women, either. What I find curious is your comment that, " 96 percent of women of all races are freaked out by black men anyway." From where and how did you come up with that statistic?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships