Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 11:31 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,552,477 times

Advertisements

Desert Kid, my son just recently got a girlfriend. He's 21 years old. He waited, because he wanted to find a quality girl - not a mixed up girl who doesn't know how to behave. Since you don't want the first girl who walks by, please be patient. It will happen in time.

I lived the kind of life you're in now, and trust me, it gets better. Just don't give your heart 100% to the first girl who pays any attention to you. Hold out for the one you really want!

You do need to get out of your isolated situation a little bit, though. No one is going to knock on your door. Are you in college? That's an ideal place to meet others, and not just women, but to make more friends with guys as well. The cliques, etc. in high school that made you miserable aren't important once you're in college.

Last edited by SandyCo; 12-21-2009 at 10:23 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2009, 11:36 AM

917 posts, read 2,948,634 times
Well, I was in your shoes at 18. My parents wouldn't let me date til I was 16, so by the time I was old enough for them to let me go out alone, I'd turned down all the guys who were interested in me. I went to college, went to a few parties, and that solved that. However, I was also a pretty, busty girl so I had plenty of takers.

Old 12-20-2009, 11:57 AM

17,635 posts, read 22,643,465 times
After i graduated from high school i went to Monterey Peninsula Junior College in CA. I had many great FUN times & even learned a few things...

also i drove a school bus for two years...

Best of Luck to you, BRO.

Old 12-21-2009, 08:59 AM

3,378 posts, read 5,010,330 times
Thanks y'all, I'm in Junior college right now and by this time next year will be at one of my state's Major universities, I am in great grattitude by all your advise everyone. Because I feel much more optimistic now .

Old 12-21-2009, 10:55 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert kid View Post
Thanks y'all, I'm in Junior college right now and by this time next year will be at one of my state's Major universities, I am in great grattitude by all your advise everyone. Because I feel much more optimistic now .
Of course there are no guarantees, but I saw many an ugly duckling blossom into swans while away at college -- away at college being a key criterion.

Old 12-21-2009, 11:02 AM

3,378 posts, read 5,010,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Of course there are no guarantees, but I saw many an ugly duckling blossom into swans while away at college -- away at college being a key criterion.
Which is why the university I'm going to is well over a hundred miles away from where I'm at.

Old 12-21-2009, 01:00 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,038,208 times
Contrary to what you think there are a lot of women out there who want a gentleman. In other words, a real man. Give yourself the gift of time to mature and figure out who you are in this world. Discover your talents, interests, and abilities.

The relationship thing will happen.

Old 12-21-2009, 02:05 PM

1,457 posts, read 4,055,578 times
Real women will appreciate a man like you. Don't think that in your life you will be alone. There will always be someone there, be it a wife, girlfriend, best friend, family member, or even a stranger. I would definitely continue your education first. Don't focus on getting into a relationship, you will drive yourself crazy. In high school I always had a hard time talking to guys. After graduating and being employed I found myself talking to men easier than women. I gained more confidence in myself as I broke away from school. It will come, just give it time.

Old 12-21-2009, 02:30 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,198,692 times
Wait until you can go back to your 20th or 30th high school reunion. Most of those good looking cool people will be fat, bald, divorced 3 times. Those that blossomed later in life will still look good, successful and in long term relationships.

They always seem to get the last laugh.

Old 12-21-2009, 06:46 PM

2,754 posts, read 6,101,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert kid View Post
Hello, I'm a fresh grad from high school, I've never been kissed, had a girlfriend, or ever been the archetype (even regular) fit type, anything. I just don't know what to do, I sometimes feel that I'm just going to live alone, well I always was a loner (not the cool type, the guys who just stayed to themselves but were unreasonably picked on, seriously we get resentful at the hands of that crap). I always pride myself at being a "Gentleman" (being courteous, doing the right thing) but with all this "Women are liars" and "Alpha male" stuff, it really doesn't help because I get the feeling that women don't appreciate guys like me and that I am screwed over before even starting.

Can someone help out and prove me wrong?

Oh yeah, I'm not a pushover, I know full well when to defend the things I love, I only fight in defense BTW.

Aren'y you the dude who posted that thread about liking all those old-school country & western dudes, like Willie & Waylon and the Boys? And you're only 19 or 20 y.o.? Dude, that is SO cool. To me that shows you are wise beyond your years and also appreciate the value of truly good things. Don't worry: you'll be fine. There's TONS or women out there of all stripes and you're incredibly young. Too young to be worrying about relationship stuff, anyway. When I was your age--about 26 years ago--I didn't give one second's thought to the Big Picture, I was too busy playing ball and drinking beer and getting more ass than a rental car. So you're probably about as mature now as I was in my early 30's! LOL.
Look, man: you'll hear alot of stuff in these posts about alpha males and greedy women and daddy issues and alot of other negative stuff, but don't let it get to you or make you doubt your own self-worth or attractiveness.
A good deal of the people in these threads have, how shall one say, something less than stellar personal lives. Know what I'm sayin?
Just stay cool and keep being yourself..the rest will all fall in place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships