Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Ladies, would you date a chubby or overweight guy?
Yes 106 59.89%
No 30 16.95%
maybe 41 23.16%
Voters: 177. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2007, 10:37 PM

326 posts, read 470,843 times

Advertisements

if I lived in south florida, I'd probably be about 80 pounds lighter than I am now.

Old 05-20-2007, 10:40 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,254,417 times
Oh come on now ... all that shoveling in Chicago snow, I bet you've got rock hard abs! hehe

Old 05-20-2007, 10:46 PM

253 posts, read 1,055,926 times
Lightbulb My PO

My personal observation has shown me that women are far more accepting of men's bodies being overweight than the other way around. Bigger in size, overall for a guy, can create an association of protection, security, masculinity and even strength. Bigger in size, for a woman, usually equates to more negative connotations that represent a lack of sexual appeal (power) and femininity. This is a -general- observation. We all know there are exceptions...even exceptions that comprise a good percentage out of the "whole of categories.”

Plus men can "trade" in other assets for lack of a toned and “fit” build in order to augment their overall standing of sexual appeal; intelligence, financial status, personality/humor, style, etc., etc. Of course, women value looks like men and when looking it on an individual level, there are women who value looks very strongly to the point of being predominant in initial stages of attraction, but it is hard to argue against the seeming reality that women place body leanness or physical handsomeness a little lower on their must have attributes list when looking for men. It's more negotiable depending on other traits. Beauty seems to be more of a must have asset for women…it is part of what most will use to define a woman’s femininity (which is again a form of power). How is power usually defined for men? Looks are a plus but not often a -defining element- of what gives a man mate-attracting “power” in some way. In some cases, if a man is TOO attractive, his sexual orientation might even be questioned. I've seem cases like this often enough. Even the term "pretty boy" implies some anomaly status...lol

I personally don't mind a guy who is somewhat to reasonably overweight, stocky or anything similar. For me just saying that someone is "overweight" is too vague. It's all about build, how one carries their weight and so forth. Some people can carry far more weight than another person at similar height and look very good. They might also have a more proportionate and naturally muscular build that yields itself to further appear better looking at a larger size (stocky and burly rather than very soft and amorphous looking).

Old 05-20-2007, 10:50 PM

2,267 posts, read 3,298,887 times
That would depend...I dated an older man who was overweight and used it as an excuse to not do alot of the things that my daughter and I LIVE to do...

IF you don't swim, you don't see my daughter and I much when its warm...its either the beach, the pool or the waterparks down at Disney for us.

If your so out of shape you can't spend 8-10 hours walking around Disney or Universal then we won't have much in common.

I also LOVE to walk the beach, I don't just sit there, I often walk so far I loose track of where I am...

Old 05-20-2007, 11:03 PM

989 posts, read 2,762,327 times
Question A thought

Is it possible that women are more likely to lie about dating an overweight guy? I've always been in great shape myself so I don't have direct experience, but one of my best friends (and a great guy) was overweight and had a "no thank you" streak of 30 rejections in a row in asking girls out.

Does that mean that women are only willing to date an overweight guy if he has "other assets" like money to trade (he had none).

I'm not trying to flame, just asking a question... hopefully some guys can chime in with support/disagreement, because I know 1-2 people don't represent everyone.

Old 05-20-2007, 11:10 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,041,502 times
Sh it! I noticed that there is only one 'NO' on the poll. Please don't tell me I'm the only one who said 'NO'!!!

8,672 posts, read 22,271,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evlevo View Post
Is it possible that women are more likely to lie about dating an overweight guy? I've always been in great shape myself so I don't have direct experience, but one of my best friends (and a great guy) was overweight and had a "no thank you" streak of 30 rejections in a row in asking girls out.

Does that mean that women are only willing to date an overweight guy if he has "other assets" like money to trade (he had none).

I'm not trying to flame, just asking a question... hopefully some guys can chime in with support/disagreement, because I know 1-2 people don't represent everyone.
Yes, I think it does make a difference initially to a woman, but that said, if she sees something in the man attractive, chances are she will overlook it. For me, intelligence in a man is extremely attractive to me. (Maybe that's just as shallow as being attracted to his looks but for me...that's a fact. Same with kindness. That is attractive to me also.) So yeah, I think you're right, it is perceived initially as a negative, but if a guy has other interesting qualities (NOT just money) she may overlook the negative.

4,273 posts, read 15,254,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evlevo View Post
You made an interesting point. I think if a guy has money, he can probably get ANY girl interested in him. It goes the other way around, too.

If you are fat, man or woman, you're going to have a tough dating road ahead of you, IMO. If you are confident, in any weight, you probably won't have a problem but in the end, how many fat people do you know are confident?

Old 05-20-2007, 11:11 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,168,409 times
I have been usually attracted to tall, skinny guys since I was a teen. But there was one guy that I dated that was overweight (weighed about 260), even though he ended up being a total jerk, I gotta say (don't tell anyone!) he was the best in bed (well, maybe it wasn't him per say, but something about him ).

I have been with my current guy for like 12 years and he's always around 150-155lbs, same height as me. So he's smaller than me! He gets self-conscious that he's too short. I think he's fine, I just wish I was smaller. Sometimes I do wish he was bigger and taller, but oh well!

Don't worry too much about your weight (except for health reasons). Personality wins out with women much more than looks. A funny guy with charisma is HOT!!!! Those shallow women are not worth it! They don't know what they're missing.

Old 05-20-2007, 11:13 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,041,502 times
Okay, okay, a totally toned body AND intelligence. I make my own money, but hey - if you want to throw money my way, I won't throw you out of bed!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships