Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 09:04 AM

2,068 posts, read 4,338,653 times

Advertisements

I guess i don't have much patience. I was really betrayed in my relationship, we separated (about a week and half) and for some insane reason I've wanted to get back with him and try to believe his reasons and excuses. Well now he's disgusted with himself for his traitorous actions and doesn't want to be around me ("or anybody"), he needs time!?!

Now I've never believed in this time giving thing. I've always been true to my feelings. I love you then I want to be with you, if I don't love you then bye. So without doing anything wrong (he committed the error), sure we had a heated argument when I learned of the betrayal but I do think I have the right to blow up after something like that, I've been trying to woe him in vain. He's called me too insistent and has been cold and indifferent ever since I discovered his asinine betrayal. So now I'm going to try do things his way. Although my experience tells me that those who aren't sure especially betraying, lying, insensitive, self absorbed bfs usually don't make the decision you are waiting for.

So should I go with the fact that I still for some reason love him and wait for his answer? Possibly have my heart broken later instead of sooner? Or drop this guy... I don't even want to mention the betrayal and his other undesirable characteristics.

I guess my biggest motivation for trying and wanting to work things out is that I don't want to believe everything I've done and felt has been in vain. I've bent over backwards for this dude and I can't see how he could accept it all then betray me like that. I want to accept a less heart wrenching reason. A reason that can be forgiven and a reason that will let us continue. But maybe I'm stuck on the foolish love track.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2010, 09:09 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,788,602 times
Honestly, you are the only one who knows the answer to this, since we don't know the nature of the betrayal. I mean if you told me he lied about eating the last cookie in the jar, I'd say give him another chance. If he lied about sleeping with your sister, you need to give him the boot. We have very little perspective to work with here.

Old 03-17-2010, 09:14 AM

9,230 posts, read 16,551,567 times
Accept that everything you did was in vain. It would be even more foolish to knowingly walk into a situation that shows all the signs of being doomed and doing even more in vain. You don't really respect him, why would you want to be with him? He is pushing you away, even after he betrayed you and you are willing to stay. What more curb do you need?

Old 03-17-2010, 09:19 AM

865 posts, read 2,432,675 times
If he has betrayed you and has other undesirable characteristics, and now, in addition to all that, is pushing you away - why would you even WANT to stay? Don't you think you deserve better???

Old 03-17-2010, 09:24 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,646,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recuerdeme View Post
So should I go with the fact that I still for some reason love him and wait for his answer? Possibly have my heart broken later instead of sooner? Or drop this guy... I don't even want to mention the betrayal and his other undesirable characteristics.

I guess my biggest motivation for trying and wanting to work things out is that I don't want to believe everything I've done and felt has been in vain. I've bent over backwards for this dude and I can't see how he could accept it all then betray me like that. I want to accept a less heart wrenching reason. A reason that can be forgiven and a reason that will let us continue. But maybe I'm stuck on the foolish love track.
If what he did was a serious betrayal, then I would not waste any time waiting for him. If anything, he should be the one waiting for you, to forgive him. I can understand feeling like you invested a lot of yourself and don't want to feel like it all went to waste. In business, there's the concept of sunk costs. It means costs that you poured into some venture and can't recover. So now you have to decide whether to continue. Economists would say that your decision to continue should not be based on what you already spent since it's money that you would've spent no matter what you decide to do next. Likewise, whether you decide to go back to this guy or move on doesn't change the time and energy you put into the relationship already. It's a sunk cost. If it were me, I'd move on and find someone who treats you better. BTW, by waiting for him, you're sending the message that what he did wasn't that bad. That makes it more likely for him to do it again.

Old 03-17-2010, 09:24 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,269,659 times
He needs time to talk to the person he cheated on you with. Thats my guess. Good things come to those who are lucky and work for it. Waiting is for doormats. They wait for you every night to come home and tread your dirt off. Don't be a doormat. Its a tough job.

Old 03-17-2010, 10:06 AM

3,261 posts, read 5,306,900 times
What you feel is normal, there is no "switch" that you can turn on and off, just because your mind knows better.

Getting back with him after a serious betrayal so that you can feel that the time and energy you put in the relationship was not wasted could in fact result in you wasting your future.

Old 03-17-2010, 10:37 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,628,860 times
recuerdame wrote:
Quote:
The fact that you're admitting that the betrayal isn't the only problem with this guy makes me think it might be a good idea to forget about him and move ahead with your life. It can be painful getting over a relationship but if he has these undesirable characteristics as you've described them it could end up being a much worse situation in the future.

Old 03-17-2010, 10:44 AM

88,615 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recuerdeme View Post
I guess i don't have much patience. I was really betrayed in my relationship, we separated (about a week and half) and for some insane reason I've wanted to get back with him and try to believe his reasons and excuses. Well now he's disgusted with himself for his traitorous actions and doesn't want to be around me ("or anybody"), he needs time!?!

Now I've never believed in this time giving thing. I've always been true to my feelings. I love you then I want to be with you, if I don't love you then bye. So without doing anything wrong (he committed the error), sure we had a heated argument when I learned of the betrayal but I do think I have the right to blow up after something like that, I've been trying to woe him in vain. He's called me too insistent and has been cold and indifferent ever since I discovered his asinine betrayal. So now I'm going to try do things his way. Although my experience tells me that those who aren't sure especially betraying, lying, insensitive, self absorbed bfs usually don't make the decision you are waiting for.

Even if the relationship is hopelessly beyond repair, it does not mean that everything you've done and felt has been in vain. You have learned things, and you will use them in the future in a way that right now you cannot possibly imagine. Staying on a sinking ship because you did so much work to decorate the tables in the dining hall isn't a good reason to give up your life.

Old 03-17-2010, 10:46 AM

2,068 posts, read 4,338,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robee70 View Post
What you feel is normal, there is no "switch" that you can turn on and off, just because your mind knows better.

Getting back with him after a serious betrayal so that you can feel that the time and energy you put in the relationship was not wasted could in fact result in you wasting your future.
Very true, but I wouldn't do it just for the effort I've already put in, but for this questionable feeling that we can move past this and be happy.

I'm not 100% sure of this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships