Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 06:01 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,170,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthsideJacksonville View Post
Most of my female friends are lifelong and I consider them sisters I never had because I'm very, very close to them. I am really close with one of them, someone I've known my whole life and we get closer each day and although I'm thinking about taking it to the next level; I also have to take into consideration if she would reciprocate it or not.
There we go! "Friendships"...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2010, 06:06 PM

924 posts, read 1,644,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
Llewelyn wrote:

Ok, why don't you explain to the rest of us why I have enjoyed the friendships of women who were either married or not someone who I would have sought a relationship with but I enjoyed something about their personality and have remained friends with them for many years? Your sidekick Nutz76 bared his soul with his childish remarks which seem to insinuate that women have no substance without help from their male mentors and aren't worthy of being friends because they're not quite up to the task. I'm going to go out on a limb and take a guess that you're probably not a very successful person and you find it convenient to blame others for your own shortcomings.
Shortcomings where? Definitely not downstairs if that's what you're referring to.

Just kidding.

I'm only 18 though, so take your presumptions about my success (or lack of, apparently) for what you may.

Old 03-11-2010, 07:37 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,186,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthsideJacksonville View Post
Most of my female friends are lifelong and I consider them sisters I never had because I'm very, very close to them. I am really close with one of them, someone I've known my whole life and we get closer each day and although I'm thinking about taking it to the next level; I also have to take into consideration if she would reciprocate it or not.
I can't give you REPS........but

Old 03-11-2010, 07:50 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutz76 View Post
If I want stimulating conversation it'll likely be with guys. I rarely encounter women that wants to talk sci-fi, techie, politics, etc. Attractive women I've noticed could care less about such things.
Bull! My strictly platonic friend for years whom I respected and admired and who was also very attractive happened to be a fellow legislative and political analyst. In fact, in the Capitol I knew more women involved in politics as consultants and staffers than men. Many of them were extremely attractive as well.

You must not get out much.

Oh, yeah! That friend of five years before I ever asked her out is now my wife.

By the way, I have a number of female friends with whom I've never had a physical relationship and with whom I never will. That was not and is not the basis for our friendships.

Old 03-11-2010, 07:55 PM

134 posts, read 286,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CESpeed View Post
Actually I was thinking that this a actually true of guys. I've only had two successful friendships with guys: 1) my ex and 2) my gay co-worker. Every other male I've ever tried to befriend either wants sex eventually. I recently made a new friend but I think he's thinking I want more (NOT!)

There are waaay too many guys looking for FWB for me to ever really feel comfortable in a friendship with them.
I agree here 100%. Most men I've met end up only wanting one thing--FWB...or maybe its my age group (25-30). I find at this stage of life seeking and maintaining platonic friends with a man is nearly impossible. My ex and I are friends, but that's about it.

Old 03-11-2010, 08:45 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,270,611 times
Of course! Plenty of male friends I'd never consider anything else with.

Old 03-11-2010, 09:19 PM

1,342 posts, read 2,162,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Bull! My strictly platonic friend for years whom I respected and admired and who was also very attractive happened to be a fellow legislative and political analyst. In fact, in the Capitol I knew more women involved in politics as consultants and staffers than men. Many of them were extremely attractive as well.

You must not get out much.

Oh, yeah! That friend of five years before I ever asked her out is now my wife.

By the way, I have a number of female friends with whom I've never had a physical relationship and with whom I never will. That was not and is not the basis for our friendships.
I live in the DC area. Those politically inclined gals you're referring to, they're basically call girls lobbyists use to ply politicians to curry their favor. That's just the way it is. Some bubble up to the top and do real political work, but the girls you meet out on 16th & U, Adam's Morgan, K Street, Georgetown, Waterfront, etc who say they're in politics, yeah, it's not what you think.

And I'm sure some people can be friends even if one or the other is attractive, but what I'm talking about is when one person, usually the man, is attracted to the other person. It just screws it up. I don't want to put myself through that garbage as I did when I was younger. I know better now. It just leads to things like unfulfilment, unrequited love, and blue balls.

Old 03-11-2010, 09:39 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutz76 View Post
I live in the DC area. Those politically inclined gals you're referring to, they're basically call girls lobbyists use to ply politicians to curry their favor. That's just the way it is.
Ya think that maybe that's why I didn't include lobbyists in what I posted?

After several years in DC and 19 in Sacramento, I did learn my way around!

Old 03-11-2010, 10:08 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,116,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llewelyn View Post
Shortcomings where? Definitely not downstairs if that's what you're referring to.

Just kidding.

I'm only 18 though, so take your presumptions about my success (or lack of, apparently) for what you may.
This explains a lot.

Old 03-11-2010, 11:40 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,270,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoiled1 View Post
I agree here 100%. Most men I've met end up only wanting one thing--FWB...or maybe its my age group (25-30). I find at this stage of life seeking and maintaining platonic friends with a man is nearly impossible. My ex and I are friends, but that's about it.
Age does have something to do with it. When you get into your mid-30s, its easier. I've stayed friends with a number of men I've worked with. They're all married, I was married when I worked with them, their wives know me, I know their wives, it's not a big deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships