Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 01:21 PM

3,261 posts, read 5,305,724 times

Advertisements

To the OP - Why do you care what other men are attracted to or not?

I just think this obsession with trying to discount or analyze other people's preferences or motivations is a waste of time. If you can find an SO, while staying true to yourself and not being something you think they want, then you'll be happy.

Last edited by robee70; 03-16-2010 at 01:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2010, 04:10 PM

752 posts, read 2,086,862 times
I personally have been attracted to unusual, deep men. I find men with interesting hobbies attractive. And I am always a sucker for a man who has suffered from depression and has a houseful of cats. I'm sorta kidding on that one, but I've always liked men who have cats. Always two or more LOL. I had this one nightmare date with a guy who had like seven of them, and then I befriended a man who had four, the man I am engaged to has 6. Suffice it to say I am kind of attracted to quirky men.

Old 03-16-2010, 05:04 PM

19,642 posts, read 12,231,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robee70 View Post

I just think this obsession with trying to discount or analyze other people's preferences or motivations is a waste of time. If you can find an SO, while staying true to yourself and not being something you think they want, then you'll be happy.
It's a legit question and sometimes there is an answer. In my case the guy I liked told another guy if he asked me out "she'd just end up hating me". And it was true. I don't hate him because I never dated him. He was not good in relationships but I liked him as a person. It was his way of saying he knew he was a screwup and didn't want to hurt me. He only dated "undesirables" who he had fun with and then left. And they left him with something too.

Old 03-16-2010, 07:10 PM

4,379 posts, read 5,384,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
Hi samston,

You did it again. Its nonsensical. You mad and absolute affirmation denying itself. Words are simply ambiguous and thus never entirely descriptive of the current reality. That is the so called gray area. The actual truth of the matter may be lost in the confluences of the reality. Some of those differences you mention are adaptive in different circumstances. In that case the speculation or ambiguity makes it gray. However upon placing the subject in the equatorial zones, dark skin is the right one. Beauty will eventually be linked accordingly. An actual context removes the gray area of our speculations.

I can be very much assured that the smell of death on an individual will not be sexy, eye of the beholder not withstanding.
From what I understand, a hip to waist ratio is universally seen as attractive.

Even still human attraction is complex, and I think is a mix of nature, nurture, society's beliefs on attractiveness, and our own personal attitudes.

Old 03-17-2010, 07:08 AM

1,517 posts, read 2,319,763 times
You are happy now aren't you? Why worry about something that has absolutely no bearing on your life today? I am 25 and find that men my age just want women period. Their requirements seem to be that we are breathing..lol. I think as they mature they want more from the women in their lives. Lucky you, you found a good guy, who wants YOU, not just some random girl. I do think their are some young men who are looking for more than a hookup; I just don't know that many of them.

Old 03-17-2010, 08:35 AM

437 posts, read 675,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
How about a bar skank? Is this also some unattainable creature? I don't think so. Because they will go for the bar skanks over better looking classier women who are not skanked out. Then, I hope they realize that normal women will not want them after they have been there.
Have I offended you? Your post is completely out of left field. For one, I never said that bar skanks were unattainable. Rather, I noted that getting a woman that is perceived to be so, like a stripper who is suppose to tease only, is a badge of achievement for a man. Not the highest goal in life to be sure, but there it is.

As for skank vs classy, well the "skank" is putting signals that she's easier to get into bed than the classy lady. If you're just looking for sex, you weight hottness vs peceived ease of getting into bed and go from there. Sex is more difficult for a man than a woman to obtain and thus men go for "easy girls."

Many "classy" women may give off an aura of superiority or condescension which makes men reluctant to approach. Smile for once.

As for "normal" women not wanting them (I assume you mean men who went after skanks), how are those supposedly normal women (what, they never get skanked out for a night on the town?) gonna know who or what I was sleeping with? Heck, some girls like the guy who can get any girl he wants... but chooses her. Been there, done that.

Old 03-17-2010, 08:38 AM

437 posts, read 675,208 times
Quote:
Hi Ameiko,

Actually I think this post is a little flawed. Strippers are not classically unattainable. I believe that men may think of them as unattainable for a woman of that physical beauty for an exclusive LTR. In other words, a lessor man is depending upon her lack of discretion and sexual nature to get what would otherwise be difficult. Beautiful, chaste women are inherently difficult to seduce.

I am not sure if that is what you mean or not.
Basically, the job of a stripper is to offer the illusion but never the reality of sex. It's constant teasing but no fulfillment as they take your money for that illusion. If a man can seduce her into sex and hold onto his money, he is seen as a victor in the sex vs money game that men and women sometimes play, especially in casual sex and dating.

It's sorta like getting the Buckingham guard to laugh at your joke.

Old 03-17-2010, 10:58 AM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoky_topaz View Post
I personally have been attracted to unusual, deep men. I find men with interesting hobbies attractive. And I am always a sucker for a man who has suffered from depression and has a houseful of cats. I'm sorta kidding on that one, but I've always liked men who have cats. Always two or more LOL. I had this one nightmare date with a guy who had like seven of them, and then I befriended a man who had four, the man I am engaged to has 6. Suffice it to say I am kind of attracted to quirky men.
And therein lies your answer. It may be that you were unconsciously giving off a "stand back" vibe because these were not the type of men who would really interest you anyway. Along with that, you likely didn't fit into a common mold, either, right? Were you really interested in the kind of things those guys who didn't ask you out were interested in or liked the same activities they liked? I'm guessing that you didn't.

I'm glad you found someone. The worst thing that could have happened was you pretending to be someone you weren't in order to attract someone that deep down you really didn't want.

Old 03-17-2010, 11:17 AM

3,424 posts, read 5,976,319 times
Quote:
I can be very much assured that the smell of death on an individual will not be sexy, eye of the beholder not withstanding.
ed gein..nothing is absolute.

Old 03-17-2010, 11:58 AM

2,013 posts, read 3,547,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robee70 View Post

Agreed. All these threads about why this group of people like (or hate) that group of people is a complete waste of energy, IMO. Every situation is different and there will never be one answer for all. What can't people just concentrate on what matters to them personally?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships