Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2010, 10:20 AM

5,024 posts, read 8,895,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSizzle225 View Post
He doesn't bark much, when he does, it's rare. I don't really like it when dogs bark a lot, so that wouldn't be a solution for me. I don't know what he'd do to a burglar, I should pay a buddy to dress up and sneak in through a window.
I don't like dogs that bark too much either - I'm only interested that they protect me and bark at intruders.

I bet your dog is just a hunk of love - a big pushover. It just depends on the breed and nature of the dog, I think.

Old 04-12-2010, 10:32 AM

5,143 posts, read 5,407,619 times
My dog is a Golden Retriever with some Chow. The first time I ever met him, I almost ran him over. It was on the way to work, and he was lying near the street, with his back towards me. I thought he was dead so I was going to move him off and call animal control. But he was alive. So we took care of him for a few days, and nobody claimed him. And now he has turned into a total spoiled dog. He sleeps on my bed and pushes me to the far corner.

Old 04-12-2010, 10:39 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,189,782 times
Quote:
My dog is a Golden Retriever with some Chow. The first time I ever met him, I almost ran him over. It was on the way to work, and he was lying near the street, with his back towards me. I thought he was dead so I was going to move him off and call animal control. But he was alive. So we took care of him for a few days, and nobody claimed him. And now he has turned into a total spoiled dog. He sleeps on my bed and pushes me to the far corner.
Awwwe, that is so sweet that you did that! What a lucky dog. Golden Retrievers are very loving and wonderful dogs. Chow's can act like they're vicious but they aren't unless you raise them that way. I had a Shar-pei and they are relatives of the Chow (both have blue tounges) and all she did was corner someone and bark at them. My mom isn't an animal person at all and the dog really didn't know her strength and pushed her against the wall and once over the coffee table, but not because she was trying to hurt her, she just wanted attention and I think she knew my mom didn't like animals.

Old 04-12-2010, 11:02 AM

He's mostly like a Golden. I can only tell he's Chow because of the tongue and the tail curls. He loves kids, and other people in general. But he is probably a little overly attached to me. That might be the Chow.

The only two things wrong with him: Sometimes, when you go to pet his head, he cowers. I've never hit him, so I wonder what was up when he was a young puppy. And the other, he is horribly gun shy. I took him with me to shoot once, and he tucks his tail and lays down. He can't be talked back up until the guns are back in the truck.

Oh yeah, and when he plays fetch he growls the whole time. It's his playful growl, but some people at the park think he's gone mad.

Old 04-12-2010, 11:11 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,189,782 times
I have 3 dogs and the most recent one took a whole year before he would come near me when I called him. If I reached out to pick him up he would run. I couldn't pet him on his head either and sounds nasty when he wants to play. In the last couple weeks he has actually started running and jumping in my arms when I call him. Suprised the hell out of me. But, again, it took a whole year and I had him since he was a pup but he was one of my rescue fosters. The Shar-pei had issues with the hands coming toward his head and would move away (but eventually became a big kisser) and ALSO, oh my god, fireworks, that dog HATED fireworks and it could be 100 degrees out and she would want to lay right on top of me on the 4th of July or even during thunder storms - oh she hated those too. That may be the same with the gun shooting and your dog.

Old 04-12-2010, 11:19 AM

My dog hates TStorms. Monsoon season here, is late July to August. Absolutely miserable weather. It's like 110 with humidity that can climb up to like 40 or 50% And he wants to try and bury himself under the covers during these times.

He's got an un natural fear of little dogs. Like they chase him and he runs cowardly through the park. People think it's funny, but when he finally gets to me his heart is beating out of his chest.

Old 04-12-2010, 11:23 AM

19,429 posts, read 15,248,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Hahahaha! I SO want to see that. I can picture that in my mind....the two of you tussling over that gown. I might have to join in though...it's gorgeous!
Don't TEAR it, Chessie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
HA!!!!!!!!! That made me laugh out loud girl!! Tried to rep you!

Man I missed a lot last night!!!
So did I, and I was HERE!

Old 04-12-2010, 11:53 AM

17,635 posts, read 22,643,465 times
Quote:
I thought Sprouts was an Arizona business?? I support local business whenever I can. If they aren't, I'll go to Basha's again...even though it seems like they closed down everyone in the East Valley. By the time I get the milk home in the summer, it will spoil in the back of my truck. YUMMERS

When i go to the big town fer vittles & sech, i bring 3 ice chests to put the cold stuff in. Works purty good...

Old 04-12-2010, 11:57 AM

19,429 posts, read 15,248,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
When i go to the big town fer vittles & sech, i bring 3 ice chests to put the cold stuff in. Works purty good...

How far of a drive is that, Hawk?

Old 04-12-2010, 12:13 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,643,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket_factor View Post
Do you have a fence surrounding your property? Maybe you need locked side gates?

Or he needs a slightly aggressive "buddy" who barks. Burglars can't stand a dog who barks at the littlest things. When I was married we had motorcycles, my ATV and we locked everything up and nobody bothered us because we had an Australian Shepherd/Akita mix who barked the Death Bark.

I have 3 large dog Pal's & 3 mountain cat Pal's. 1 is rottie, lab, shepherd mix. 2 are german shepherd. They all are very loving. They have 80 acres to play on & after that BLM forest. No uninvited strangers wander around up here. It's a very long steep shale rock logging road, fer a driveway.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.