Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 09:02 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,198,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by endersshadow View Post
I think the better question is who would you rather hear advice from - someone in the same boat as you or someone that successfully found someone?
There is a saying "Don't take financial advice from a broke person".

Good point, kind of applies in dating also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2010, 09:10 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
Do you really like a dominant woman, or, do you just want the woman to take the risk?

Most women do want to be courted. You guys listen to the flakes, the women's libbers, the golddiggers out there, but they are not the majority.
Are woman our equals or not? Why shouldn't I be flattered by a woman that is certain she wants to be with me, that I'm someone that appeals to her? If I'm in the candy store, everything looks good, it's hard to choose. If the candy jumps into my basket, it's that much easier to take it home. It's all edible.

Old 03-21-2010, 09:52 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,116,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by endersshadow View Post
I think the better question is who would you rather hear advice from - someone in the same boat as you or someone that successfully found someone?
From people who realistically understand the problem and have genuine advice to offer. A lot of responses in this thread are classic of what I'm talking about. Some people have no idea of what dating is like today. The ones who insist that dating is no different today than it was 5 -10 years ago. My dating experience tells me otherwise. And I've already posted the major differences so anyone who hasn't read it go back two or three pages.

Old 03-21-2010, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
There is a saying "Don't take financial advice from a broke person".

Good point, kind of applies in dating also.
Actually that's bad advice. You learn way more from people's mistakes than successes. I'd like a balance of what doesn't work vs. only what worked for one person.

Old 03-21-2010, 09:56 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,385,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CESpeed View Post
From people who realistically understand the problem and have genuine advice to offer. A lot of responses in this thread are classic of what I'm talking about. Some people have no idea of what dating is like today. The ones who insist that dating is no different today than it was 5 -10 years ago. My dating experience tells me otherwise. And I've already posted the major differences so anyone who hasn't read it go back two or three pages.
All those things you listed already existed 5-10 years ago. From not being expected to pay on the first date, to not being the first one to ask the girl out. All those things have existed when I was dating.
So, you don't have much of an argument here.
Fundamental key elements of dating are still the same. The thing that changed is the technology. Easier access to more people giving people more choices...but that's about it.
I don't have to be in the dating world to see it, I mean, really.

Old 03-21-2010, 09:58 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,385,589 times
Quote:
Actually that's bad advice. You learn way more from people's mistakes than successes. I'd like a balance of what doesn't work vs. only what worked for one person.

Before people get to successes they go through number of trials and mistakes. Bill Gates didn't become successful overnight. He worked hard for his money. I'd rather take advice from him, than from somebody who is struggling.

Old 03-21-2010, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
All those things you listed already existed 5-10 years ago. From not being expected to pay on the first date, to not being the first one to ask the girl out. All those things have existed when I was dating.
Fundamental key elements of dating are still the same. The thing that changed is the technology. Easier access to more people giving people more choices...but that's about it.
I don't have to be in the dating world to see it, I mean, really.
Like everyone I can only speak from my experience. And that is my experience and that of people who are in my same position. Maybe in your experience, 5 -10 years ago men thought you were a gold digger if you expected them to pay for the first date, but I never heard of that until recently. The same thing with sex. The men I dated 5 - 10 years ago had no problem dating months before having sex, today no sex by the third date, no fourth. Heck in alot of cases no sex on the first date means no second date.

But your comment here is a perfect example of what I'm talking about.

Old 03-21-2010, 10:37 PM

2,058 posts, read 3,304,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
The ones who brag probably are compensating.
irl I usually make a point not to talk about being too happy especially about my relationship. Every little thing is seen as bragging. I didn't even tell anyone at work I was going on vacation to Hawaii for my annivarsary until my boss begged me to bring in pics. People still say "oh you guys are just so perfect arent you?" I know they mean it in a mean way and I'm getting kind of sick of it. Because first of all, no. no one and no relationship is perfect. Second, yes my husband and I are (still) in love...Sorry? With some people I even go out of my way to be negative and they still show thinly vield annoyance at us, so I give up. They normally just tell me how we aren't going to last to make themselves feel better so, whatever.

Old 03-21-2010, 10:38 PM

3,440 posts, read 8,041,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
I don't have to be in the dating world to see it, I mean, really
Quote:
Like everyone I can only speak from my experience. And that is my experience and that of people who are in my same position. Maybe in your experience, 5 -10 years ago men thought you were a gold digger if you expected them to pay for the first date, but I never heard of that until recently. The same thing with sex. The men I dated 5 - 10 years ago had no problem dating months before having sex, today no sex by the third date, no fourth. Heck in alot of cases no sex on the first date means no second date.
I actually agree with BOTH of you ladies. Especially with the sex part, back in my ma's generation people went roller skating and went out to DO THINGS other then sex! By the time when I was young, (in the mid 90's) my friends were having sex at 14-15 and participating orgy's in High school!! Also CESpeed is right, all the guys I know try to "hit it" on the first night. And many do just by getting the girls drunk; I have seen it.

I would also say the collage life is also a factor.... Today's collage atmosphere has changed so much and it's effecting the youth... It's now a get drunk, party hard, random sex, hookup culture.

Old 03-21-2010, 11:41 PM

4,837 posts, read 8,856,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophialee View Post
Maybe because they were single once too? People aren't born married.
True but some people are born to be married (only a slight exaggeration) and some aren't.

The problem with listening to some married people talk is that they had it quite easy. If they are younger, you can usually "see" why. If older, check their wedding photos.

Somehow, many consider that their experience makes them some sort of expert on marriage. However, their opinions are often of little value to those unlike them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships