Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 12:10 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,443,393 times

Advertisements

I have to admit I never looked this up and I guess it can be a relative term. I always thought of gossip as people talking behind someones back in an attempt to do that person harm, to twist the truth or divulge private things that were told to them in confidence. This of course making it a negative thing.

The same friend who told me I was controlling (see other thread started by myself in this forum) tells me that gossiping is anything said about someone when they are not around.

I'm sorry so that means I can't have a conversation with my friend who suffers from anxiety that my friend who is a hypnotist could possibly help her, thats gossip according to this persons definition and according to her always a bad thing.

How do you define gossip?

My Mother is currently in the hospital in Texas. I am unable to be there at this moment, I asked a friend of mine, my best friend to go and visit her in my place. My friend went, held her hand, stroked her hair, kissed her on the forehead, told her that my daughter and I love her etc. If I relate this story to another friend, I am gossiping about my best friend?? REALLY??? I thought that was singing someone's praises.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2010, 12:11 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,192,758 times
My definition of gossip: repeating something for the simple gratification of humilating someone else or trying to win favor with the person you are sharing the information with at the expense of another person. To make oneself feel more superior at the expense of another person.

Your friend's definition is accurate, however. It does not have to be mean to be gossip. Saying anything about someone when they are not present is a form of gossip, but nice is not generally regarded as gossip and it is.

Old 04-25-2010, 12:16 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,443,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
My definition of gossip: repeating something for the simple gratification of humilating someone else or trying to win favor with the person you are sharing the information with at the expense of another person. To make oneself feel more superior at the expense of another person.

Your friend's definition is accurate, however. It does not have to be mean to be gossip. Saying anything about someone when they are not present is a form of gossip, but nice is not generally regarded as gossip and it is.
I completely agree with you...we both must be crazy gossipers according to my friend.

Old 04-25-2010, 12:55 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,565,415 times
What you described isn't gossip. I define gossip as revealing something told in private, or talking about others ppls business for the sake of conversation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post

How do you define gossip?

My Mother is currently in the hospital in Texas. I am unable to be there at this moment, I asked a friend of mine, my best friend to go and visit her in my place. My friend went, held her hand, stroked her hair, kissed her on the forehead, told her that my daughter and I love her etc. If I relate this story to another friend, I am gossiping about my best friend?? REALLY??? I thought that was singing someone's praises.

Old 04-25-2010, 01:21 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,171,925 times
Gossip = Someone who repeats information that is hurtful to you or someone close to you. If that person is repeating information that is hurtful to somebody you don't really care about that much, then they are providing a useful public service.

I'm just kidding of course, but it's a relative term.

Old 04-25-2010, 09:40 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,211,393 times
I think of gossip as discussing someone else's private life behind their back. "Private life" doesn't necessarily mean "love life", just something that is private. Some gossip is totally harmless but in truth gossiping constantly is a tip off to everyone that the gossiper cannot be trusted with any kind of confidence......

Old 04-26-2010, 08:12 AM

3,169 posts, read 5,165,978 times
Gossip is:

1. Anything shared about a person that you wouldn't share with others in front of them.
2. Sharing information on a person that you wouldn't want shared about you.

Old 04-26-2010, 10:24 AM

153 posts, read 237,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMichele View Post
Gossip is:

1. Anything shared about a person that you wouldn't share with others in front of them.

I agree

Old 04-26-2010, 10:37 AM

484 posts, read 1,217,185 times
Commenting on something that has nothing to do with you or any value.

For example, you see two co-workers, Dick and Jane, coming out of the broom closet together after obviously making whoopie; you don't tell anyone because that would be gossip. However, if your best friend is Dick's wife and you tell her what you saw, that is not gossip (IMHO) because you have a legitimate interest in the matter (the well being of your best friend). If some other co-workers ask if you heard rumors about Dick and Jane, you should say something like "I have no idea what's going on between them" because you don't know the whole story, or even if you do, it's Dick and Jane's business to tell or deal with the rumors. If Jane comes up to you to see if it was you they saw when coming from the broom closet, you should tell her that yes, you did see them and tell her to be careful because rumors are circulating. Simple, isn't it?

Old 04-26-2010, 10:59 AM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,009,486 times
Conveying or repeating information--substantiated or not-about someone behind their back and without their permission that's none of your business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMichele View Post
Gossip is:

I don't know about that one. There are a lot of people who would try to justify their gossip by saying that it was nothing they wouldn't share about themselves; people who are too eager to air their own dirty laundry. Springer and reality tv shows are great venues for these people to embarrass themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships