Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 07:09 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,115,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shkumat View Post
I mean, i know its not entirely respected to be immature, but why not?
Being immature is like being a kid, right? But what's wrong with that?
Kids have fun, they laugh a lot, they are happy, they don't worry about a lot of stupid issues. Immature person stays young forever, in a way.
In that sense rock'n'roll was all about being immature.
So please, tell me why are people so against it?
There's nothing wrong with being fun at heart and being able to let loose and have a good time. The people who have a peoblem with this type of person is a stick in the mud who needs a trip to Disneyland. The only way this is a problem is if the person doesn't know how to turn it off at the appropriate times.

The immaturity most people have trouble with is the type of immaturity that renders a person incapable of taking care of themselves. Rather than getting off their arse and making things happen (finding a job, etc) they sit around either a) acting entitled to be handed an easy life or b) the world's victim because life isn't going their way.

Would you really want to date someone like that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2010, 07:22 PM

383 posts, read 900,913 times
There's a difference between being immature and being young at heart. Being young at heart means that you can enjoy certain things without age being an issue. You can find joy in climbing trees, riding a skateboard, playing video games, listening to rock music as loud as you can, sitting on the porch playing your electric guitar, going to the amusement park, sledding, wearing young people's clothes etc but at the same time, taking responsibility for your own

Being immature means that you're not independent or independent minded, you're not self sufficient, you will not make any consessions to other people and you always want things your way all the time. A person can live with their folks and still be mature, if they're independent and in the proccess of developing a skill to be self sufficient.

Old 04-12-2010, 07:30 PM

3,301 posts, read 11,716,798 times
Quote:
Kids have fun, they laugh a lot, they are happy, they don't worry about a lot of stupid issues...
They also throw temper tantrums, can't take care of themselves (let alone be there for others), often on the selfish and self-centered side, inexplicably sticky/dirty, whiny.....such a ball of fun.

Don't get me wrong, I like kids.....as long as at the end of the day they go to their home and I go to mine. And they can be cute at times. The cuteness factor wears off with wrinkles.

Old 04-12-2010, 08:00 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,029,958 times
The problem with many immature people is they often require "babysitting." Lots of attention, coddling, metaphorical hand holding, etc.

Like someone said, there is a world of difference between child-like and childish. The former indicates having interests or traits that are often attributed to children, such as having a passionate love for ice cream and a wide-eyed view of the world. The latter is reminiscent of children throwing a temper tantrum, whining in the sandbox, and being generally very annoying and difficult. Although the two words are similar in denotation, their connotations are completely different.

That said, I don't like immature guys because they are ultimately very, very frustrating. It's like dealing with a 3-year old in an adult male's body.

Old 04-12-2010, 08:07 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mango tango View Post
That said, I don't like immature guys because they are ultimately very, very frustrating. It's like dealing with a 3-year old in an adult male's body.
And the body can be of just about any age!

Old 04-12-2010, 08:41 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
I mean, i know its not entirely respected to be immature, but why not?
Kids have fun, they laugh a lot, they are happy, they don't worry about a lot of stupid issues. Immature person stays young forever, in a way.
In that sense rock'n'roll was all about being immature.
So please, tell me why are people so against it?

Because when it comes down to our basest survivial instincts we humans want to be able to trust that those we are in a relationship with have the wisdom, knowledge and stamina to ensure our emotional and physical survival.

Immaturity by its very definition means something not fully formed or developed. Such a person would lack the most important skills and attributes necessary to attract a worthy mate.

Old 04-12-2010, 08:44 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,855,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2RUGGED4YOU View Post
What Thursday said. See Rugged as the example of the difference.
Same here my friend, same here.

Old 04-12-2010, 08:47 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,855,270 times
Quote:
It's just that a lot of people like to joke around in serious situations. People go ahead and call it immature right away. If i am facing a problem with a smile, not a panic in my face, does it make me less mature?
It doesn't necessary make you immature, I myself try to make light of the situation. Now it can be considered borderline insanity when you laugh your butt off at a funeral.

Old 04-12-2010, 08:50 PM

5,879 posts, read 9,250,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
It doesn't necessary make you immature, I myself try to make light of the situation. Now it can be considered borderline insanity when you laugh your butt off at a funeral.
Most smart people can turn it off and on.

Old 04-12-2010, 09:09 PM

2,512 posts, read 3,058,962 times
Society can tend to measure "maturity" in material milestones, your first wine fridge in a modest home, then a wine cellar in a McMansion, modest car to start then an Audi, etc.

But some people are just happy in their own skin, have a wonderful and positive outlook on life. They don't sweat the small stuff, take a "best things in life are free" attitude, can have a great time at a "potluck' house party held by a friend or group of friends.

Some of the most mature people I know live like this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships