Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2019, 06:06 AM

3 posts, read 2,018 times

Advertisements

I believe I’m subject to verbal and physical abuse but I’ve never experienced this so please read further.

Dating my bf for several years. We are almost older. He has generally been very loving etc. and wants to marry me or at least live together. However that hasn’t happened because of what I feel is his financial irresponsibility. I’ve talked to him a lot and to some extent it’s improved but he also lies to me sometimes about it.

In the past when this is happened he seemed understanding and promised me to do better going forward. However over the last several months he hasn’t had this reaction and instead he’s angry and starts to verbally attack me. By that I mean he criticizes me, tries to shift blame to me telling me that I’ve done things wrong and I’m the first to admit that I told him I’m human but that is it different and has nothing to do with his lies. He doesn’t apologize at all nor does he seem to understand or even make promises to do better .
and blames my daughter (who doesn’t care for him) for all our relationship issues and doesn’t even recognize it’s his lying.

During the last two recent fights he even criticized one of my adult children and her boyfriend. He never apologized for his behavior even when I called him out on it several times and told him how hurtful it.

I tried to break up with him both times and he made fun of me and said are we broke up if you broke up with me before you’ll be back. Well that is true I have given him several tries and he’s made all kinds of promises. During the last fight this past week he grabbed me and I pulled away and then he asked if it is OK if I touch you to which I said not really. When I woke up the next day I have a big bruise on my arm. This isn't the first time he’s grabbed me but he hasn’t happened in a long time and I think he feels pretty desperate not that that is an excuse.

Does this sound like verbal and possibly physical abuse? Of course he’s trying to reach out to me and be with me but I am not responding however I’m not really sure where to go from here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2019, 06:20 AM

6,885 posts, read 7,890,726 times
Yes. It will not get better.

A man who cannot take responsibility for what he says and does is not a man you need to be with . Period.

What are you getting out of this?

How on earth do you interpret this as him trying to reach out to you?

I would have been gone at: Financial Irresponsibility. Him blaming it on you? Just not right.

Old 09-14-2019, 06:20 AM

6,830 posts, read 3,220,586 times
You don't need to put up with this. Has his behavior changed over time, better or worse? If he grabbed you hard enough to cause a bruise, that's physical abuse. I think you should cut all ties with him.

I wish you the best!

Old 09-14-2019, 06:25 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,917,022 times
He doesnt have a big enough supply of money, in fact he's probably in debt from what you said. He most likely will not change.

His verbal abuse sounds like just average criticism, just like your criticism of him. Why are you with this guy?

Old 09-14-2019, 06:30 AM

3 posts, read 2,018 times
He is texting me to see me again. Thought I may meet him just to show him the bruise.

Old 09-14-2019, 06:50 AM

137 posts, read 66,018 times
Sounds like a bad relationship all around. I agree with augie that the fighting sounds more like just nasty fighting rather than abuse. As for the physical stuff, what I am picturing is he grabbed you by the forearms/wrists and you pulled away, then the next day there were bruises.

You said he asked after if it was ok if he touches you and you said “no.” Did he ask that right after you pulled away? And if so, what was his reaction like? Was he asking in anger like: “What? Can I not even touch you?” or was he more taken aback by his own actions and asked with concern “Is it ok if I touch you?”

Either way it sounds like things are really bad. If it’s not abuse yet, it’s getting close.

Old 09-14-2019, 06:56 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,347,410 times
DNR again

Old 09-14-2019, 06:56 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,951,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feelingabused30 View Post
He is texting me to see me again. Thought I may meet him just to show him the bruise.
No. You need to go into No Contact -don't text him, don't call him, don't see him, and don't respond to any of his attempts to contact you or see you.

A guy who puts his hands on me in any way other than a loving way would be DONE at that point. As in "get out of my air space before I hurt YOU, guy." We need to teach women to stop being "nice" when the guy clearly doesn't deserve it.

You have to draw the line hard and fast otherwise they will keep pushing to see how much they can get away with.

Old 09-14-2019, 07:03 AM

7,591 posts, read 4,161,936 times
Do not meet up with him again or contact him again.

You two are not compatible especially if you had to tell him to be more financially responsible and he didn't listen the first time.

Old 09-14-2019, 07:35 AM

1,278 posts, read 1,115,483 times
Now it's escalated to physical abuse and you're still asking what to do? This has literally gone on long enough. At what point are you finally going to make a decision and get rid of this loser and move on with your life? It was bad enough when you said previously that he was trying to freeload off you and live there rent free. But now you want to stay with him after he's gotten physical with you?

What kind of example are you setting for your daughter here? I'm being totally serious. I realize she's an adult now but as such, I'm sure over this years and years long drama with this pathetic boyfriend of yours, she has probably lost all respect for you. And rightfully so. Your inability to first of all make a final decision about this guy and secondly to continue questioning it over and over again is a reflection of how little you respect yourself and why it will probably be impossible for you to gain her respect back after all of this. Her opinion of your should be far higher of a priority than continuing this farce of a relationship with a physically abusive freeloader. And that's the bottom line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships