Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 08:12 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,196,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm24x7 View Post
heck i look really funny when crying lol ..
The best way for me to stop crying is to run to the mirror. I usually feel silly when I see it and that will nip it in the bud.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2010, 08:13 AM

2,101 posts, read 4,527,898 times
I don't know if much can really be generalized about the sexes anymore. I've met many highly-logical women and many very sensitive men. Then I've met people who are psychologically androgynous (which, in my opinion, is the most advantageous disposition to have).

Old 05-17-2010, 08:14 AM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,007,791 times
I know a lot of women as well as men who can express their emotions but aren't emotional. Some people don't know the difference between being emotional and the ability to express your feelings. Some--namely those who can't handle discussing anything related to feelings--think if you discuss how something makes you feel you're being emotional. Not always the case. Being emotional is letting your emotions take over.

Old 05-17-2010, 09:53 AM

1,203 posts, read 1,983,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliciaMaria View Post
Most of us know that women tend to be more emotional than men.. and when a woman feels something or is upset about something, her emotions tend to come out. I know that I personally like to express how I feel to my partner, and sometimes he just doesnt understand why Im being so 'emotional' about something that to him, just isnt a big deal.

Ive done quite a bit of reading about this subject in the past, and I know that there's a whole science behind it. Mens and womens brains work differently. Women process information differently, use their gut instincts more efficiently, pay more attention to peoples body language, tones of voice, facial expressions, to come to a conclusion about something (a feeling..) whereas men look for factual, documented information, and then they proceed to try and fix things. If it can't be fixed, then why are we still talking about it?

What are your experiences with this?

How do you and your partner come to a common ground when it comes to this sort of a situation?

and some questions for women specifically...

Is your emotionality perceived as insecurity? (It's easy to be mistaken for that..)

Can you control your emotions?

Do you cry when you're stressed or overwhelmed? Can you help it when you cry?

Men:

How do you feel or react when your partner (assuming your partner is female) gets upset or cries??

My other half and I were talking about this just recently, and he told me that he just realized that women are emotional.. ALL women are emotional, thats just how they are.. I was shocked and surprised that he a) came to this conclusion b) that he just realized it and c) that he actually admitted that it wasnt just me who was crazy.. its ALL females who are crazy. (I say this jokingly, because so many guys still think of having and expressing emotions as a flaw, or a weakness..)

I'd love to get other peoples perspectives on this!
There are plenty of exceptions to gender generalizations as they relate to emotions.
Mainly the women I have dated have fit the 'more emotional' category.
I accepted it as it was and listened and comforted as they needed it.
Some ladies were more rational and logical. It was a bit easier because we worked together to solve instead of feeling it out.

My own take, people choose what works for them best emotionally.
When I am confronted with a problem I either want to fix it completely or kill it.
Barring those I evade it altogether.

Old 05-17-2010, 11:02 AM

29,747 posts, read 34,396,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
+1

I remember a statement made by Ben Barre (sp?) that when he had his gender reassignment surgery and began taking hormones, that he lost his ability to cry. I wonder if that's physiological. He didn't notice feeling any different, tho. Beyond that, I have found men to be very emotional and sensitive creatures. And as far as this forum goes, several men readily tell their tales of the heartless women they know/have known. So, all in all, another stereotype that falls short.
I recently saw a documentary with another female-to-male transsexual who said that when he started the hormones he also lost his ability to cry, and he was shocked by how constantly angry and aggressive and horny (and emotional on that end of the spectrum) he felt all the time. He had no idea that that's what men were dealing with when he was a woman.

Old 05-17-2010, 11:23 AM

1,988 posts, read 5,385,835 times
Probably not the answers you are seeking.,..
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliciaMaria View Post
What are your experiences with this? I do have gut reactions, am very good at reading body language and gauging what other people are feeling, and have emotions. BUT, I am not one to wear my heart on my sleeve, and I have a very strong rational side - especially when it comes to decision-making. Actually, I've been told that I "think like a man" whatever that means anymore.

How do you and your partner come to a common ground when it comes to this sort of a situation? My SO is the one who gets overly emotional, and it drives me nuts. I'm constantly thinking to myself "dude, get a grip on yourself and chill out."
and some questions for women specifically...

Is your emotionality perceived as insecurity? (It's easy to be mistaken for that..) Not in my case.

Can you control your emotions? I don't think people can control what they feel, BUT, they should be able to control how they react to their feelings. So yeah, I am pretty good at putting feelings away in a box somewhere until there is an appropriate time and place to examine them.

Do you cry when you're stressed or overwhelmed? Can you help it when you cry? I can barely remember last time I cried. I think it was about 10 years ago. Crying is one of those personal things that I prefer to do in private (see last part of answer to previous question..

Old 05-17-2010, 11:30 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,196,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I recently saw a documentary with another female-to-male transsexual who said that when he started the hormones he also lost his ability to cry, and he was shocked by how constantly angry and aggressive and horny (and emotional on that end of the spectrum) he felt all the time. He had no idea that that's what men were dealing with when he was a woman.
I believe it and to take the chair of Captain Obvious for a moment, those emotions seem like they are much more difficult to control. No thanks.

Old 05-17-2010, 12:58 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times
being horny is an emotion?

i guess you learn something new every day.

Old 05-17-2010, 05:20 PM

3,486 posts, read 5,686,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
You said on another thread that you like your neighbors to waive as they drive by. That's not from being horny, is it?

Old 05-17-2010, 05:50 PM

5,143 posts, read 5,407,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post

i guess you learn something new every day.
I think it's more a sensation. If it is an emotion, then so is hunger, thirst and being tired.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships