Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2011, 10:26 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,813,426 times

Advertisements

I posted this in another thread but I thought it may be worth it's own discussion...

It still suprises me that people automatically interpret the unexplained according to their cultural norms (ghosts are souls of deceased people, "demons" are adversaries of god here to torment mankind, miracles are help from god, ect).

Yet if they indeed are real (or at least in part), wouldn't it make more sense to argue they are Stephen Hawking style sentient energy-based extraterrestrials that would naturally be free to wander the universe without time or physiologial restraints and found their way(s) here randomly?

What if they were just here out of boredom? What if they've been watching humanity for thousands of years and are fond of helping, imitating, scaring, harassing and/or teasing the local "wildlife", just because there is nothing better to do?

Perhaps they don't want to be found, so they have carefully and successfully avoided widespread detection just so they can continue playing their games.

Why does it have to be "explained" with biblicial nonsense? The phenomena has apparently been going on even before biblical times and what's written in the bible is merely people back then trying to explain something they just couldn't put a finger on. Like I've said, the existence of the unknow does NOT equal the existence in god or an afterlife.

The other possiblities are that our minds survive death, that a sadistic magical bearded guy in the sky likes to tortue us or that literally billions of people over the last 5000+ years across every culture and historical timeframe are lying, hallucinating and crazy.

I hereby envoke the ponderous power of Occam's Razor in support of the "supernatural". Challenge it! Mwhuaaaaaaaa!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2011, 10:36 AM

4,082 posts, read 5,042,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
I posted this in another thread but I thought it may be worth it's own discussion...

It still suprises me that people automatically interpret the unexplained according to their cultural norms (ghosts are souls of deceased people, "demons" are adversaries of god here to torment mankind, miracles are help from god, ect).

Yet if we must insist they are real, wouldn't it make more sense to argue they are Stephen Hawking style sentient energy-based extraterrestrials that would naturally be free to wander the universe without time or physiologial restraints and found their way(s) here randomly?

What if they were just here out of boredom? What if they've been watching humanity for thousands of years and are fond of helping, imitating, scaring, harassing and/or teasing the local "wildlife", just because there is nothing better to do?

Perhaps they don't want to be found, so they have carefully and successfully avoided widespread detection just so they can continue playing their games.

Why does it have to be "explained" with biblicial nonsense? The phenomena has apparently been going on even before biblical times and what's written in the bible is merely people back then trying to explain something they just couldn't put a finger on. Like I've said, the existence of the unknow does NOT equal the existence in god or an afterlife.

The other possiblities are that our minds survive death, that a sadistic magical bearded guy in the sky likes to tortue us or that literally billions of people over the last 5000+ years across every culture and historical timeframe are lying, hallucinating and crazy.

I hereby envoke the ponderous power of Occam's Razor in support of the "supernatural". Challenge it! Mwhuaaaaaaaa!
Ghosts, demons........ I don't believe in them.....

I do think that there is something within us that does not die. Make no mistake though I do not believe in a heaven or hell nor do I believe in the Christian idea of a soul.

My thoughts go back to my grandmother who told me a story as a child. My grandfather died when my dad was 9 very unexpectly. There was unfinished business. My grandmother told me that while she was having dental work done he came to her and told her where important papers were. Now I know most would say..... Nonsence.

But what I always think about was that the box these papers were in she did not know where he had put it.

So I don't know..

She and I joked about it. There is a part of me that believes it.... But she also promised that she would come to me after she died like he did....

But she never did.

Now I was probably 10 when we had this conversation....

But it always made me wonder even more about after death....

I really do not have any idea of what happens.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality