Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2009, 01:31 PM

3,196 posts, read 5,398,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulnevrwalkalone View Post
i agree that going back to the latin texts would remove some of the errors and misinterpretations that have come about due to translations. but the problem is people need it to be in english/spanish/what have you b/c nobody speaks latin, so unless ur fortunate enough to b somwhere that offers to teach latin u would be unable to understand the bible at all. u would have to listen to what ur pastor told u and would have no means of counter arguing, just like it was back in the middle ages. so the translations cause problems but at least it allowed people to read and interpret a version of the bible for themselves.

I thought the originals were Greek. I thought latin translations didn't start being used until the middle of the third century. As for learning it, Muslims teach their children the ancient languages as part of their religious education; Jews teach their children Hebrew. So, why not the Christians? Lazy? Afraid? Too Trusting of Leaders? ????? What
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2009, 10:20 PM

9 posts, read 26,954 times
[quote=20yrsinBranson;6583417]I do not actually consider myself an Athiest in the truest sense of the word, but I certainly am NOT religious and I often DO get ticked off at religious people.

The reason is that they are always "disapproving" of me in some way. I like to drink alcohol. Where I live you are treated like some kind of monster if you drink. I often cuss. I'm an adult, I'm entitled. I do not like the disapproving looks I get from the religious types when I use colorful language. I do not go to church on Sunday. Again, I get those disapproving looks if I am out working in the yard (in the summer, natch), instead of going to services. It seems that everything I do that is not approved of by the religious folks in the neighborhood get me disapproving looks and people shaking their heads at me.

Also, I find that religious people love to talk about religion in excess and often to the exclusion of all other topics. I am all for freedom of speech, but I am sick of hearing about it. I am sick of being "blessed" every time I sneeze or being wished a "blessed day" by some one. Leave me the hell alone with your dogma, will you? Please?

I honestly hope this is a joke. For one, not ALL religious people talk about religion in excess. Even if they do, it just means they are passionate about it, and if you dont like it dont associate with them. Not ALL religions will disapprove of you if you like to drink alcohol. Not ALL religious people are like that.

I personally hate it when religo-brains talk my ear off about religion and cant stay off the topic. When they judge me and give me weird looks, that turns me off. That is extreme. I think that instead of judging you they should try to help you. If you dont want it, then they should have the courtesy to leave you alone and respect your ideas instead of isolating you as a person.

I am cool with 'religious people' their just people. I have known alot of cool religious people who do not judge me, and still accept me. Don't stereotype them, because not all of them are like that. The cussing thing, is fine. But I tend to be more respectful with language in front of other ppl who don't like it. Thats just common courtesy dude, because not all people like that and your going to get weird looks if you do it excessively(You said you didn't like getting weird looks). Its good to practice that, cuz youve gotta deal with all kinds of ppl. Maybe respect them a little more and they will respect you. Save the ****s and the ****s and son of a ******* for your friends and try to hold em around relig os. If you don't like it when they talk about religion to you, then try to change the subject or talk about something else. If you respect them by not cussing around them then they should respect you by not preeching to you and you can try to get along. Common sense man.

Last edited by fargospice420; 02-12-2009 at 11:33 PM..

Old 02-12-2009, 10:27 PM

42 posts, read 64,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Any anger you perceive is all in your mind. Atheists don't generally have a problem with the religious providing we are left alone and not pestered by them.
Wrong. Just look at forums like FSTDT where most Christians leave them alone. The whole forum is one big hate forum slandering God and Christians. Would they get that angry if people told them that the Flying Spaghetti Monster condemned them to hell? We Christians are bombarded by secular beliefs all over the media, TV, movies, street corners everyday. But we don't spend our time cursing and swearing at atheists trying to censor them or make them disappear like they do with us. so they're pretty threatened by a god they think is imaginary.

Old 02-12-2009, 10:37 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,864,701 times
As a basic rule, I generally don't care what someone else believes. I do take offence when anyone preaches at me without my permission. Just as the christers have the right to their beliefs, I have the right to mine and mine basically adhere to the notion that geezus and gawd are myths, put in the same genre as humpty dumpty, little jack horner, three little pigs, and/or the greek or roman panthology, could add the norse god collective as well, all of these things are equally unbelieveable. The biggest difference is, those little pigs, mr. horner, or mr dumpty never preach at me.

Old 02-12-2009, 10:54 PM

33,548 posts, read 37,145,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carico View Post
Wrong. Just look at forums like FSTDT where most Christians leave them alone. The whole forum is one big hate forum slandering God and Christians. Would they get that angry if people told them that the Flying Spaghetti Monster condemned them to hell? We Christians are bombarded by secular beliefs all over the media, TV, movies, street corners everyday. But we don't spend our time cursing and swearing at atheists trying to censor them or make them disappear like they do with us. so they're pretty threatened by a god they think is imaginary.
Yeah right....Where do I find the atheist channel? Check your tv guide and count the number of Christians programs. You aren't the ones being bombarded...Not by a long shot. Ever have an atheist come to your door to save you, or hand out literature on the street to show you a better way....I thought not.
Is there an free atheist movie web site, like all the Christian ones?
I googled Christian movies and then atheist movies...Christian movies got ten times more hits. Movies with an overtly atheist perspective are rare.

Old 02-12-2009, 11:14 PM

2,904 posts, read 6,917,607 times
Quote:
Yeah right....Where do I find the atheist channel? Check your tv guide and count the number of Christians programs. You aren't the ones being bombarded...Not by a long shot. Ever have an atheist come to your door to save you, or hand out literature on the street to show you a better way....I thought not.
I googled Christian movies and then atheist movies...Christian movies got ten times more hits. Movies with an overtly atheist perspective are rare.
Have you been to college this side of 1970? Classes as diverse as English fiction, sociology, History, and of course the sciences have atheistic overtones. Every English fiction class my professor feels it necessary to mention how primitive the belief in God is. Can't argue about all the tv programs, but who watches them anyways? You might be bombarded by Christianity but your experience is not the same as everyone's.

Old 02-12-2009, 11:48 PM

33,548 posts, read 37,145,710 times
Atheistic overtones? Can you be more specific?...I endured an education in Christians schools, and I'll tell you that it was more than "overtones"...By the way I think your English professor is correct. I suppose your science class favours evolution as well....Well evolution has nothing to do with atheism, no matter that some Christians would like it to be.....Perhaps you should switch to a Christian college, I'm sure you'd be happier there.

What brand of Christian are you?...I see Christians of dozens of different kinds here....

Old 02-13-2009, 07:16 AM

4,348 posts, read 7,357,250 times
Offends is not the right word. I find it strange that so many can look at the bull they are being feed, and still follow a path which without question leads to war after war. The part you see as being offended for me is frustration at how blind many religious individuals are.

Old 02-13-2009, 08:01 AM

857 posts, read 1,423,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by decafdave View Post
Have you been to college this side of 1970? Classes as diverse as English fiction, sociology, History, and of course the sciences have atheistic overtones. Every English fiction class my professor feels it necessary to mention how primitive the belief in God is. Can't argue about all the tv programs, but who watches them anyways? You might be bombarded by Christianity but your experience is not the same as everyone's.
I cant speak for your particular experience at college but at mine I would not say that the classes had athiestic overtones, its not like the professors were trying to convince us of anything (this was a private christian university too i must add) they just simply gave us the facts that were related to the course, and if u came out feeling doubts about ur religion then so be it. Its amazing what happens when u allow urself to face reason and facts instead of a fictional book.

Old 02-13-2009, 08:07 AM

42 posts, read 64,659 times
Quote:

Are you serious? Let's see, most of the media is left-wing, any movie that contains language that curses Christ which is most of them, TV shows condoning homosexuality which include a few comedies, TV shows and movies which contain sexual content, violence and vulgar language, which is most of them, cartoons & stand-up comedians which use sexual content and vulgar language, etc.

That leaves the few Christian channels on cable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality