Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 07:33 AM

27,576 posts, read 28,680,428 times

Advertisements

I imagine life to be like a blank sheet of paper. I am the author of my life and am free to write my story in any way I want to.

What is unacceptable about this point of view?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2012, 07:38 AM

10,607 posts, read 11,660,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I imagine life to be like a blank sheet of paper. I am the author of my life and am free to write my story in any way I want to.

Absolutely nothing, if that's what you believe it is your right to believe it, so be it..

Old 06-25-2012, 08:12 AM

20,442 posts, read 12,796,101 times
Because it's not logical. Life is profound; it begs for meaning.

Old 06-25-2012, 08:14 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,076,059 times
Because the blind forces of nature made us this way.

Old 06-25-2012, 08:18 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,738,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Because it's not logical. Life is profound; it begs for meaning.
No. Life is profound, true (b : difficult to fathom or understand Merriam webster). You beg for meaning so invent some where there isn't any. That I agree is illogical.

Old 06-25-2012, 08:24 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,076,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
No. Life is profound, true (b : difficult to fathom or understand Merriam webster). You beg for meaning so invent some where there isn't any. That I agree is illogical.
The search for 'meaning' is innate and universal. Surely the desire for 'meaning', for a sense of greater purpose than the eat, sleep, have sex and then die suggests some greater significance to life than what our senses tell us through observation? Even those who claim to not seek any purpose at least wonder about this from time to time. Many atheists, no doubt, have asked 'why, what's the point?' If there isn't any meaning, why do we even ask any of these questions in the first place? Why do we have to invent elaborate myths, if our purpose on earth is purely functional?

Old 06-25-2012, 08:32 AM

20,442 posts, read 12,796,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Your post doesn't make sense. Life is difficult to fathom, but you've got it figured out, and there's nothing there. Maybe, maybe not.

Old 06-25-2012, 08:47 AM

1,299 posts, read 1,279,135 times
Quote:

Because most people believe in a personal God. I wonder why secular humanists live life as if it is intrinsically valuable. "Life is objectively meaningless, so let's continue to live life as if it does have meaning"

Old 06-25-2012, 09:00 AM

10,607 posts, read 11,660,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Your post doesn't make sense. Life is difficult to fathom, but you've got it figured out, and there's nothing there. Maybe, maybe not.
His comment makes perfect sense, life is only difficult if you choose to make it so otherwise there's nothing difficult about it, people put too much thought into things that really require very little thought at all. Why make things any more complicated than what they are, but then again you're entitled to your opinion but that doesn't necessarily mean that everybody else agrees with it.

Old 06-25-2012, 09:02 AM

2,827 posts, read 4,343,102 times
Quote:

Nice metaphor. Avoid others from writing too many sentences for you for they will want to make the story about themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality