Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 11:36 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,607,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman6 View Post
But it's cool as long as everyone remembers to obey Jesus and loves neighbour and enemy then it's all harmless.
In case you didn't quite understand, your comment is the reason why religion and forums don't mix. Try this concept on for size: people who don't subscribe to the same set of beliefs as you do might have a problem being told that they must obey Jesus. When you set yourself (or your particular belief system) up as the standard to which everyone else has to submit, you cause--how shall I put it--friction.

I shall now humbly accept my Understatement of the Month Award, and we can carry on with the regularly scheduled insanity...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2010, 02:30 PM

454 posts, read 498,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
In case you didn't quite understand, your comment is the reason why religion and forums don't mix. Try this concept on for size: people who don't subscribe to the same set of beliefs as you do might have a problem being told that they must obey Jesus. When you set yourself (or your particular belief system) up as the standard to which everyone else has to submit, you cause--how shall I put it--friction.

I shall now humbly accept my Understatement of the Month Award, and we can carry on with the regularly scheduled insanity...
I never tell someone that they must obey Jesus Christ. People will obey whatever master they choose to follow. All I tell people is that if you do obey God and believe in the one he sent then you will gain entry into the kingdom of heaven.

Old 08-11-2010, 10:04 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,607,468 times
Quote:
I never tell someone that they must obey Jesus Christ. People will obey whatever master they choose to follow. All I tell people is that if you do obey God and believe in the one he sent then you will gain entry into the kingdom of heaven.
And you're still doing exactly what I said you were. You're setting up your preferred belief system as the standard everyone else ought to go by. If they aren't following the belief system you do, the punishment is that they're going to be excluded from heaven.

Why can't you just allow everyone who isn't a Christian to follow their own paths unmolested? You may have noticed--or maybe you haven't--that I don't push my religious beliefs in your face. I wish you'd try to adopt that policy, but from the postings you've put up in various threads here, I suspect that isn't happening.

Old 08-11-2010, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
And you're still doing exactly what I said you were. You're setting up your preferred belief system as the standard everyone else ought to go by. If they aren't following the belief system you do, the punishment is that they're going to be excluded from heaven.

Why can't you just allow everyone who isn't a Christian to follow their own paths unmolested? You may have noticed--or maybe you haven't--that I don't push my religious beliefs in your face. I wish you'd try to adopt that policy, but from the postings you've put up in various threads here, I suspect that isn't happening.
I'm not pushing anything in anyone's face. I am simply saying that those who reject the King of Heaven will not be allowed into heaven.
Would you prefer it if I lied and said no matter what somebody believes they will get into the Kingdom of Heaven when they die?
It seems like a quite rational, acceptable viewpoint that if someone rejects the reigning King in a certain Kingdom, that they will not be allowed entry into said kingdom.

Anyway, thanks for your thought provoking and entertaining posts, they are much appreciated.

Old 08-11-2010, 10:22 PM

465 posts, read 528,786 times
Quote:
I'm not pushing anything in anyone's face. I am simply saying that those who reject the King of Heaven will not be allowed into heaven.
Would you prefer it if I lied and said no matter what somebody believes they will get into the Kingdom of Heaven when they die?
It seems like a quite rational, acceptable viewpoint that if someone rejects the reigning King in a certain Kingdom, that they will not be allowed entry into said kingdom.

Anyway, thanks for your thought provoking and entertaining posts, they are much appreciated.
Did you just completely ignore his post?

Old 08-11-2010, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by detmi7mile View Post
Did you just completely ignore his post?
No. I am completely refuting it.

Thankyou for your input. It is both very constructive and interesting.

Old 08-11-2010, 10:26 PM

Quote:

how did you refute it?

Old 08-11-2010, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by detmi7mile View Post
how did you refute it?
By shining the light of truth upon it thus destroying the inherrant lie within it.

Old 08-11-2010, 10:32 PM

33,544 posts, read 37,145,710 times
Quote:

Can you be more condescending?

Old 08-11-2010, 10:36 PM

Quote:
By shining the light of truth upon it thus destroying the inherrant lie within it.
rofl
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality