Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 11:15 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,401,842 times

Advertisements

For those who do or have practiced zazen, would you be willing to share your thoughts on your experience with it, positive or negative?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2010, 11:19 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,687,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
For those who do or have practiced zazen, would you be willing to share your thoughts on your experience with it, positive or negative?
Shikantaza helps me relax after a stressful day at work. I don't do it every day, because I'm a pretty stress-free person to start with, but occasionally it's useful for me.

Old 10-05-2010, 11:32 AM

63,840 posts, read 40,128,566 times
Like all meditation . . . it can be useful for stress reduction and centering . . . but it is limited by the lack of a corollary training or discipline that must be achieved separately (not during meditation). You must attain control over your autonomic system separately by learning the internal cues that correspond to slowing heart rate, breathing, brain states (waves) . . . or you will never get to the "end state." I had to use biofeedback training until I could reliably achieve control and then incorporate it into my meditations. They are two separate right brain disciplines.

Old 10-05-2010, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
Shikantaza helps me relax after a stressful day at work. I don't do it every day, because I'm a pretty stress-free person to start with, but occasionally it's useful for me.
I'm new to this so appreciate hearing helpful new terminology to read up on (like shikantaza), so thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Like all meditation . . . it can be useful for stress reduction and centering . . . but it is limited by the lack of a corollary training or discipline that must be achieved separately (not during meditation). You must attain control over your autonomic system separately by learning the internal cues that correspond to slowing heart rate, breathing, brain states (waves) . . . or you will never get to the "end state." I had to use biofeedback training until I could reliably achieve control and then incorporate it into my meditations. They are two separate right brain disciplines.
Sounds interesting, Mystic. Sounds a little too intense for me, though. I spent too much time and energy as a Christian trying to reach an "end state". What appeals to me as I've read just a bit about zazen is the idea that it isn't really a means to an end. I like the simplicity of it, and that there doesn't seem to be any emphasis on striving to reach some arbitrary goal set for me by someone else.

Old 10-05-2010, 12:17 PM

2,827 posts, read 4,343,976 times
Sit still and do nothing. In time meditation will come to you. Thinking about it and discussing it is contrary to what meditation is. Think of it as approaching and then crossing a boundary from mind (thinking) to meditation (non-thinking). You'll find that where the active mind is in a continual dialogue about this thing and that thing and all sorts of things, including doubts and confusion, meditation is the button that clears memory, at least during the time one is engaged in it. The interesting thing to me is that it (the clarity of meditation) has a residual calming effect that spills over into the non-meditative, active mind state. With time and practice, you can turn to meditation while doing most anything, like walking, sitting, lying down, etc.

Sitting and doing nothing(allowing the active mind to turn off) is a very difficult thing for most people. It goes counter to what the mind wants to do, which is to be continuously active and engaged. The mind resists being turned off. But it can be done, and then it becomes relatively easy.

Last edited by nezlie; 10-05-2010 at 12:26 PM.. Reason: added last statement

Old 10-05-2010, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post
Sit still and do nothing. In time meditation will come to you. Thinking about it and discussing it is contrary to what meditation is. Think of it as approaching and then crossing a boundary from mind (thinking) to meditation (non-thinking). You'll find that where the active mind is in a continual dialogue about this thing and that thing and all sorts of things, including doubts and confusion, meditation is the button that clears memory, at least during the time one is engaged in it. The interesting thing to me is that it (the clarity of meditation) has a residual calming effect that spills over into the non-meditative, active mind state. With time and practice, you can turn to meditation while doing most anything, like walking, sitting, lying down, etc.

Sitting and doing nothing(allowing the active mind to turn off) is a very difficult thing for most people. It goes counter to what the mind wants to do, which is to be continuously active and engaged. The mind resists being turned off. But it can be done, and then it becomes relatively easy.
Thanks for chiming in nezlie. I suppose it does seem counterintuitive to think or discuss meditation. But, as a newbie to the practice, I am still hoping others might be willing to share whether their experience with it has been positive or negative, or even neutral, and why.

Old 10-05-2010, 02:37 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,748,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post

i wasn't cut out for sitting still and quiet. my brain just doesn't "stop running" like that. it is absolutely maddening for me to sit there with no stimulation of any sort. I have 24/7 music, or games, or internet, or conversation, and its more or less been that way since i was born.

it isn't zazen, but when i drive my car i do engage in something that feels vaguely similar to zazen. or washing dishes, or any variety of tasks where i can concentrate on the repetition.

Old 10-06-2010, 07:50 PM

250 posts, read 379,665 times
Don't do something, just sit there!

I have found that even a few minutes of sitting meditation each morning creates a whole different day for me. It's hard to quiet the internal monologue but when it happens it's wonderful and peaceful and makes the whole day better.

Old 10-08-2010, 08:58 AM

(double post)

Last edited by Pleroo; 10-08-2010 at 09:17 AM..

Old 10-08-2010, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
i wasn't cut out for sitting still and quiet. my brain just doesn't "stop running" like that. it is absolutely maddening for me to sit there with no stimulation of any sort. I have 24/7 music, or games, or internet, or conversation, and its more or less been that way since i was born.

it isn't zazen, but when i drive my car i do engage in something that feels vaguely similar to zazen. or washing dishes, or any variety of tasks where i can concentrate on the repetition.
I also have trouble sitting stilll for any length of time some days. I always set a timer for a short time period ... it's like a built in escape hatch.

I've read that repititious activities boost beta-endorphins so it makes sense to me that it would have benefits similar to zazen. Thanks for the reminder that there's more than one way to skin a cat, le roi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillynillyTalc View Post
Don't do something, just sit there!

I have found that even a few minutes of sitting meditation each morning creates a whole different day for me. It's hard to quiet the internal monologue but when it happens it's wonderful and peaceful and makes the whole day better.
So far, I'm spending 10 minutes at a time unsucessfuly trying to get my mind to shut up, which isn't particularly peaceful, lol. It's encouraging to hear that you've mastered it to the point where it's actually helpful. Gives me hope.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality