Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 07:55 PM

3,814 posts, read 6,786,192 times

Advertisements

I usually don't like this type of thread, but I believe that this rhetorical question is a question that we must each ask ourselves at some point. It aids us in our own personal growth, whether we cling closer to our set belief's or decide to dismiss some belief's that we have before taken for fact. The question is.

What if everything you have ever believed about God or how the earth was formed, ect... was not true? How would you react?

I strongly believe that we are in a time where we must think for ourselves, rather than believe out of familiarity or because we read it in a book once. When we open our minds, we allow more truth to follow and room to grow. You may disagree and I respect that, but I'm curious about how you feel about it.

Personally I did have to erase all my religious belief's, it's a bizarre experience filled with a bit of anger and sadness due to the deceit, yet so much freedom to just Be. I have never felt more peace of mind and happiness in my life! My hope is that we all will find true joy and that it will come naturally.

Much Love to you and yours
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2008, 11:54 PM

613 posts, read 1,270,690 times
To me truth is dependent on one's own perception of reality. So if I ever find that my spiritual beliefs are false my perception will have already altered them. If I find that my ideas on perception and reality are false I will be deeply humbled.

Old 09-27-2008, 10:12 AM

5,493 posts, read 7,342,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonsavvy View Post
I usually don't like this type of thread, but I believe that this rhetorical question is a question that we must each ask ourselves at some point. It aids us in our own personal growth, whether we cling closer to our set belief's or decide to dismiss some belief's that we have before taken for fact. The question is.

What if everything you have ever believed about God or how the earth was formed, ect... was not true? How would you react?

I strongly believe that we are in a time where we must think for ourselves, rather than believe out of familiarity or because we read it in a book once. When we open our minds, we allow more truth to follow and room to grow. You may disagree and I respect that, but I'm curious about how you feel about it.

Personally I did have to erase all my religious belief's, it's a bizarre experience filled with a bit of anger and sadness due to the deceit, yet so much freedom to just Be. I have never felt more peace of mind and happiness in my life! My hope is that we all will find true joy and that it will come naturally.

Much Love to you and yours
As I'm sure your aware, the govenor asked Jesus; "what is Truth"?

I believe "Truth" exists.

There are many things that were true in the past, that are not true today.
The earth is not flat, a solar eclipse is not some kind of celestial curse etc.

So what is absolutley true?
Gravity?
1+1=2?
Time, past present future?

You may find that our understanding is very limited. That the definition of
truth as none christians understand truth is not as reliable as one may believe.

But, I do believe there is a yearning within all mankind for the "Truth".
And I have faith that "Truth" exists.
And whatever that absolute "Truth" turns out to be, it will be Jesus Christ.

Old 09-27-2008, 10:13 AM

1,385 posts, read 3,007,144 times
I was taught that god and the bible were true.
I grew up and realized they weren't.

Old 09-27-2008, 10:18 AM

789 posts, read 1,334,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
As I'm sure your aware, the govenor asked Jesus; "what is Truth"?

I believe "Truth" exists.

There are many things that were true in the past, that are not true today.
The earth is not flat, a solar eclipse is not some kind of celestial curse etc.

So what is absolutley true?
Gravity?
1+1=2?
Time, past present future?

You may find that our understanding is very limited. That the definition of
truth as none christians understand truth is not as reliable as one may believe.

But, I do believe there is a yearning within all mankind for the "Truth".
And I have faith that "Truth" exists.
And whatever that absolute "Truth" turns out to be, it will be Jesus Christ.
Those things were never true. People just thought they were true.

Old 09-27-2008, 11:13 AM

10,607 posts, read 11,660,863 times
I know what is the truth, however my truth is not your truth nor anyone else's and what is truth for you, is not truth for me or anyone else. We all have our own truth but that truth is meant for that individual alone.

Old 09-27-2008, 11:26 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,142,600 times
I honestly cannot remember anything that I was ever "taught". As a child I watched other people and developed my value system on the effects and consequences that actions caused.

If anything, ironically, things that I observed was generally the opposite of what I believe now as an adult. For instance, the attitude that my parents had when I was growing up was that it was ok to steal as long as you didn't get caught. As an adult I believe that stealing is wrong. So I guess I am living your hypothetical question. LOL

We all eventually make our own way.

20yrsinBranson

Old 09-27-2008, 12:49 PM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,020,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
I know what is the truth, however my truth is not your truth nor anyone else's and what is truth for you, is not truth for me or anyone else. We all have our own truth but that truth is meant for that individual alone.
I made a comment similar to this some weeks back and was chided for it, stating that only Jesus Christ is the Truth, but I still believe PTsum's words are "true". I have experienced many things in life that I believed, or was taught to be true, only to have them turn out to not be so...at least for me. One of those was Christianity.

I did not feel humbled or upset or angry when that "truth" no longer felt true to me, in fact I felt sort of liberated. I was relieved to be able to study and learn my own truth, my own place of comfort, but I will admit that I felt puzzled at myself for simply accepting and parroting other people's beliefs and "truths" for so long.

Old 09-27-2008, 01:05 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,660,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esselcue View Post
I made a comment similar to this some weeks back and was chided for it, stating that only Jesus Christ is the Truth, but I still believe PTsum's words are "true". I have experienced many things in life that I believed, or was taught to be true, only to have them turn out to not be so...at least for me. One of those was Christianity.

I did not feel humbled or upset or angry when that "truth" no longer felt true to me, in fact I felt sort of liberated. I was relieved to be able to study and learn my own truth, my own place of comfort, but I will admit that I felt puzzled at myself for simply accepting and parroting other people's beliefs and "truths" for so long.

The exhilaration of removing the blinders is very liberating indeed...

Old 09-27-2008, 01:08 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,514,650 times
You hear a lot on these forums about what is true and what is not true..I have found over a long period of searching and wondering that we arrive at our own truths by our beliefs and our own faith, and our willingness, and trust to allow the spirit within us be our guide..I have finally found peace with what I know is the "truth"..If one day I learn that my truth wasn't THE truth, then I am willing to begin again..But I don't see that happening..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality