Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 10:20 PM

160 posts, read 432,806 times

Advertisements

Why is it that a a loving God can allow his children to be imprisoned in a tortured painful body? With my fathers muscle disease the only place I could touch my father was a kiss on the forhead. I will never forget the moans and groans he let out as he slept because even in sleep the pain never left. My sister has progressive M.S. which leaves her in terrible pain and not much of a quality of life. My brother-in-law (former marathon runner)was injured at work 3 years ago and has been in agony unable to leave a lounge chair in his living room. Family members tortured to death with cancer. I sometimes feel haunted by there pain. It is very difficult sometimes to fall asleep in a very comfortable, healthy body knowing that loved family members are suffering and unable to sleep. His will be done? I Just Don't Understand!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2007, 10:36 PM

3,814 posts, read 6,784,755 times
Oh I've been there before many times. Life seems so unfair and you wonder why God would ever cause such pain or allow it to exist. I became so angry with God and I wanted nothing to do with him.

Coming to peace with things that were out of my control was one of my biggest spiritual victories that I ever did for myself. Yes things happen that cause pain, mental anguish and suffering. But when you can truely sit back and know that there is a bigger picture than you are capable of understanding you will find peace. And with that peace you will be free of the anger or frustrations that are holding you back. Take caree

Old 07-07-2007, 10:43 PM

7,541 posts, read 17,233,138 times
Or it could be that humans are just animals, susceptible to unfortunate and horrible accidents, diseases and conditions like every other living thing.

Just an atheist's point of view.

Old 07-07-2007, 10:52 PM

4,664 posts, read 8,241,815 times
God is omniscient. When he created the universe, he saw the sufferings which humans would endure as a result of the sin of those original humans. He heard the screams of the damned. Surely he would have known that it would have been better for those humans to never have been born (in fact, the Bible says this very thing), and surely this all-compassionate deity would have foregone the creation of a universe destined to imperfection in which many of the humans were doomed to eternal suffering. A perfectly compassionate being who creates beings which he knows are doomed to suffer is impossible.

God is perfectly just, and yet he sentences the imperfect humans he created to infinite suffering in hell for finite sins. Clearly, a limited offense does not warrant unlimited punishment. God's sentencing of the imperfect humans to an eternity in hell for a mere mortal lifetime of sin is infinitely more unjust than this punishment. The absurd injustice of this infinite punishment is even greater when we consider that the ultimate source of human imperfection is the God who created them. A perfectly just God who sentences his imperfect creation to infinite punishment for finite sins is impossible.

Old 07-07-2007, 11:02 PM

1,587 posts, read 3,911,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
Or it could be that humans are just animals, susceptible to unfortunate and horrible accidents, diseases and conditions like every other living thing.

Just an atheist's point of view.
I think humans are susceptible to unfortuante and horriable accidents...the "worm" called sin that was discussed in an earlier thread. But we are not animals, an animal cannot give it's life to the Lord.

It's not that we personally sinned...but rather that sin is in the world. It is hard to know why you have had so much physical pain in your family...I don't want to minimize that in any way. I think if you can try to look beyond God trying to make us comfortable and happy here on earth...and look at it from a standpoint of Him looking at the big picture of your heart and soul...knowing you better then you know yourself...it's there that He'll meet you and your family members and do His best to reveal Himself to you.

Old 07-07-2007, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian6479 View Post
God is omniscient. When he created the universe, he saw the sufferings which humans would endure as a result of the sin of those original humans. He heard the screams of the damned. Surely he would have known that it would have been better for those humans to never have been born (in fact, the Bible says this very thing), and surely this all-compassionate deity would have foregone the creation of a universe destined to imperfection in which many of the humans were doomed to eternal suffering. A perfectly compassionate being who creates beings which he knows are doomed to suffer is impossible.

God is perfectly just, and yet he sentences the imperfect humans he created to infinite suffering in hell for finite sins. Clearly, a limited offense does not warrant unlimited punishment. God's sentencing of the imperfect humans to an eternity in hell for a mere mortal lifetime of sin is infinitely more unjust than this punishment. The absurd injustice of this infinite punishment is even greater when we consider that the ultimate source of human imperfection is the God who created them. A perfectly just God who sentences his imperfect creation to infinite punishment for finite sins is impossible.
Except for the fact that there is one way out of having to be punished for those sins...accpeting Christ who already took the punishment for you. That is not unjust...it's mercy and love at it's best!

Old 07-08-2007, 01:26 AM

954 posts, read 813,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzedforhim View Post
But we are not animals, an animal cannot give it's life to the Lord.
Everything consists of one of three things Jazzed...animal, vegetable or mineral. Which are you if not animal??

Old 07-08-2007, 02:14 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,357,424 times
I have also been there, with the loss of my parents, both from cancer. I did not know the Lord with my father, I went into a deep denial and depression.

With my moTher, I did. She suffered long and hard. Sometimes I wondered How can my God do this? How can a loving God do this? But, as strange, in heindsight, as this may sound, as much as I love her, she made some choices. The Lord allows us those.

She smoked from age 13 til the time I cared for her and she was bed ridden. She had Small Cell Lung Carcinoma, which spread through her body. She never was one to go to the dr. She had many choices, as do we all. It pains me so, to say these things. Did she have to get cancer? NO

Did my three brothers and sister stop smoking? Yes. Maybe we, as onlookers have to endure things of others as a message through Him. I don't know. I am no expert. Am I a stonger person now? I didn't think so, but I am finding that I am.

Am I looking back and refelecting on her life as I was a child and teenager...I sure am, is it changing mine...it really is.

I feel the Lord uses people, in their time, as it is, for different certain reasons. I can't say that I am correct about this, just how I feel .

I feel that with all of the things that I have been through, with the death and despair in my life, the Lord has taken the time to lay his hands upon me and bless me with life, and show me the way.

I pray he does the same for you. I pray he sends you a message.

Once again, no expert here.....just Robyn

Old 07-08-2007, 07:20 AM

52 posts, read 147,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l.wilson View Post
Why is it that a a loving God can allow his children to be imprisoned in a tortured painful body? With my fathers muscle disease the only place I could touch my father was a kiss on the forhead. I will never forget the moans and groans he let out as he slept because even in sleep the pain never left. My sister has progressive M.S. which leaves her in terrible pain and not much of a quality of life. My brother-in-law (former marathon runner)was injured at work 3 years ago and has been in agony unable to leave a lounge chair in his living room. Family members tortured to death with cancer. I sometimes feel haunted by there pain. It is very difficult sometimes to fall asleep in a very comfortable, healthy body knowing that loved family members are suffering and unable to sleep. His will be done? I Just Don't Understand!
For one church's view on this subject you might want to read this booklet online.

Booklet > Why Does God Allowing Suffering? > A World Plagued With Human Suffering

Old 07-08-2007, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pladecalvo View Post
Everything consists of one of three things Jazzed...animal, vegetable or mineral. Which are you if not animal??
Who says everything consists of one of those three things?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality