Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2010, 01:00 AM

33,585 posts, read 37,218,474 times

Advertisements

Why can't we all get along?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUtxDPOCLFA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2010, 04:45 AM

478 posts, read 775,298 times
Unfortunately, the link/video you provided isn't playing. Seems the youtube Gestapo got a hold of it and removed it due to copyright whateverss...at any rate, I've seen this film and it is something I think EVERYONE should see, and will hopefully do so with an open mind. Of course some people won't, or if they do, just won't want to "get it", but for those willing to listen and learn- the film is nothing less than brilliant. And entertaining!

Honestly, this movie actually helped me to see my own views for, really what they are: "semi-agnostic". Meaning that, although I believe in god very strongly (in my own way, that may be different than how others do), I still am fully aware that this is simply my BELIEF. And, that I am in no way even remotely sure or positive that my belief is even the least bit true; what I believe/think/hope is only valid and/or true TO ME, and only at this particular point in my life. I may change my mind at any time- I've certainly done so many times before. As I'd imagine most people do if they are constantly thinking, learning and evolving as spiritual people.

I think that if everyone is truly honest with themselves, they too will see themselves as "semi-agnostic", if not completely agnostic. All agnostic really means is "questioning, or being uncertain of the existence of god". And anyone with even a remote degree of intellect knows that, irregardless of the strength in anyone's faith, including their own, that it is just that- faith. Nobody KNOWS for sure if there is a god, and there will never be any concrete proof that god does or does not, so long as we are living in this world, in these human bodies. Only the truly ignorant can possibly ascertain that there is any "truth" to one particular belief in anything regarding god and/or religion/anything related and, to me, that's the whole point of this film. Well done, Bill Maher. And thanks for posting this, sanspeur.

Old 12-14-2010, 05:32 AM

4,348 posts, read 7,365,704 times
I saw the move on DVD and agree with Helios that it is “Brilliant, and Entertaining”, but it will also makes you laugh. Even as a "Strong Atheist" I found things in the movie which I had not recognized before. It would make a nice holiday gift to some of your religious friends.

Old 12-14-2010, 06:48 AM

5,553 posts, read 8,017,986 times
Saw it the first day it came out here in NYC. I was in stitches at certain parts. Now, I love me some Bill Maher. I get a little uncomfortable when he seems to immediately go for the religion punching bag (which, incidentally, gives the religious folks fodder to play around in), BUT I can't deny his "tell it as it is" candidness when it comes to the silliness of religion in the way it plays out for MANY people.

Old 12-14-2010, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Unfortunately, the link/video you provided isn't playing.
That is strange, as it still plays fine here...Perhaps it is censored in the US. I actually watched the entire movie on youtube yesterday. I particularly enjoyed the comments of the Vatican priest....What a character he is!

Old 12-14-2010, 05:32 PM

19,770 posts, read 20,340,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Perhaps it is censored in the US. !
Yes, perhaps!

I first saw this movie about 6months ago, and I have it downloading right now to watch again later this evening!

Great movie.

I think one of my favorite parts is when he's at that Jesus Land or whatever amusement park and there's a plane flying overhead. lol

Old 12-14-2010, 07:23 PM

I love this guy....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LJKigLT_D8
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality