Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 10:39 AM

564 posts, read 1,902,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
Right, all these things are covered in scripture, but there's not a passage that specifically addresses the 'Seven Deadly Sins' like there is one that addresses 'The Ten Commandments'.
Wow. I didn't even know that. I always sort of assumed it was written somewhere in the Bible. I must admit my knowledge of religion is limited, but I do want to live a better life and think that certain guidelines such as the deadly sins, commandments, and precepts are a start towards that.

Our world is so fractured and intolerant, I'd like to think that we all have at least some common ground on what it means to be a "good person".

I appreciate the responses thus far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2007, 11:32 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,284,121 times
Default Jesus first

Quote:
Originally Posted by eufo View Post
Wow. I didn't even know that. I always sort of assumed it was written somewhere in the Bible. I must admit my knowledge of religion is limited, but I do want to live a better life and think that certain guidelines such as the deadly sins, commandments, and precepts are a start towards that.

Our world is so fractured and intolerant, I'd like to think that we all have at least some common ground on what it means to be a "good person".

I don't mean to be offensive here, not knowing your religious background, but I would just make the suggestion to you that the first step to living a better life, as you said you desired, is to surrender your life to Jesus Christ. Don't get the cart before the horse in other words.

Old 07-13-2007, 11:42 AM

3,490 posts, read 3,204,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
I don't mean to be offensive here, not knowing your religious background, but I would just make the suggestion to you that the first step to living a better life, as you said you desired, is to surrender your life to Jesus Christ. Don't get the cart before the horse in other words.
Yeah, don't get all cleaned up to get in the shower...get in the shower to get clean!

Old 07-13-2007, 11:59 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,897,507 times
Quote:

I didn't either, eufo. No one has it all figured out and no one has all the answers...we're just all doing the best we can. Thank God that Christ's sacrifice covers my short-comings.

Old 07-13-2007, 12:42 PM

564 posts, read 1,902,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
I appreciate your words, and I hope also this is not offensive in return.

I don't like the sound of "surrendering" my life. I think Jesus Christ was wonderful and his teachings should be a lesson for us all. But when you say "to surrender your life to Jesus Christ" what is meant by that exactly?

Old 07-13-2007, 12:49 PM

646 posts, read 1,611,304 times
Quote:

I don't like the sound of "surrendering" my life. I think Jesus Christ was wonderful and his teachings should be a lesson for us all. But when you say "to surrender your life to Jesus Christ" what is meant by that exactly?
To me, this tends to mean adopting a brand of christianity that is socially conservative, and at odds with reality.

If you are considering this, think carefully and look at what christians believe. Compare this to what you see evidenced in the world around you. Read the entire bible and see if it is consistent with morality and reason.

Think about some of the paradoxes present in the assumption of an omnimax god.

Then, if you want to be a christian, go ahead. But think about it first.

Old 07-13-2007, 12:55 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,284,121 times
Quote:

I guess by that I would mean simply believing what the Bible says about Jesus, that He died on the Cross as payment for our sins, was buried, rose again the third day. Then I guess I would put it that you make the decision to accept the gift of eternal life He offers and you trust Him now to guide you and let Him be the ruler of your life (rather than just going your own way and choosing any old path that might be convenient or expedient to walk.)
Does that make sense? Someone else might could better articulate?

Old 07-13-2007, 01:11 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,897,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stretch00 View Post
To me, this tends to mean adopting a brand of christianity that is socially conservative, and at odds with reality.
Hmmm. Interesting. This is true, pending one's definition of reality. My definition of reality is that you can't see it. What you can see is so temporary, and reality is eternal. What's real can't be bought, sold, kept, or held onto. Reality is we're going to die, and after we die, then there's reality.

Quote:
If you are considering this, think carefully and look at what christians believe. Compare this to what you see evidenced in the world around you. Read the entire bible and see if it is consistent with morality and reason.

Thank you stretch, you are doing all the work for me. Eufo, the Bible will conflict with what you see evidenced in the world and it isn't consistent with what stretch or most of the world considers morality. As far as reason goes, you do not have to check your brain at the church door to be a Christian. If you're a reader, I could recommend some great books, one of which I challenged stretch to read but I don't think he accepted.

Quote:
Again, more good advice. Surrendering your life to Christ, as kaykay put it, isn't saying 'I can't be me' it's saying, 'I'm turning over the running of this life to the One who created it.'

It's not a call to a convent or the mission field, it's basically saying 'Look God, you created me with a purpose, like everything created, only the Creator knows exactly how He intended that creation to be, so I want what I want to line up with what you want. I want you to take the things that are gifts from you, my love for certain activities, my gifts in certain areas, and my God given desires, and use them to glorify your Kingdom. I want you to help me achieve the full potential you created me to be, whatever that might be.'

See eufo, a part of the Kingdom of God isn't rational at all. It's a Kingdom of opposites:

You lead to serve-like Jesus
You humble your self to be raised up-like Jesus
You give so that you can receive-like Jesus
Your blessed to be a blessing-like Jesus

The list could go on and on.

Many, many Christians don't know what it really means to be a Christian. But many do, and I pray that at some point, you'll meet someone to at least show you the Truth of God's Kingdom.

Ultimately the decision is yours to make.

Thanks for the friendly discussion.

Old 07-13-2007, 01:16 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,204,680 times
Quote:

I would like to point out that, as you athiests (hate the way that sounds, but oh well) seem to forget, that this isn't a reasonable or logical thing to do to the human mind. This has everything to do with faith, without which, it is impossible to please God.

God wants a balance in our lives. He wants us to use the reason and logic He gave us, but He also wants us to use something unreasonable to our carnal nature: faith. It is this development of the spiritual that, IMO, many athiests are lacking.

The paradoxes of Christianity are numerous and varied. But when you accept Christ as your Lord and Saviour, I can tell you that something profound and very real happens inside of you. It is not mental assent, it is not emotional tomfoolery, it is not logical. It is an experience with the Divine that is beyond the comprehension of someone who has not experienced it.

But it is very real! And anyone is able to experience it! But it takes an open mind to God, and a pure heart, diligently seeking the Truth.

Old 07-13-2007, 01:47 PM

2,800 posts, read 10,015,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
I'm not sure kawg's pastor meant it quite that way GCSTroop, but I have no way of knowing definitively.

The reason I'll chime to his defense isn't so much because he said it was Catholic doctrine but rather every time this subject comes up, I sit here thinking 'Am I missing something in scripture? I've read the entire Bible, most of it multiple times and I've never seen this list of deadly sins.'

So it may not be that it's so much truly Catholic as it is maybe just extra-biblical.

The bible I read says sin is sin. It's all deadly. And it's all forgiven through Christ's sacrifice.
Thanks Alpha! That was pretty much the jest of it. However, our church has this bad habit that if it isn't their doctrine, it's the wrong doctrine . Therefore, even though it may have been initiated by the Catholics, they are still very good guidelines and very good teaching material. We all know that these things are bad. So why not be able to teach on them, just because they are "extra-biblical"? The kids need something more than all the "happy" stories and all the fluff (sorry, please don't take offense to that remark, I mean nothing by it!). These teens NEED guidelines for everyday living! There is plenty in the Bible to back up each and every one of those sins...they just are not listed accordingly .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality