Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 03:14 PM

7,685 posts, read 13,146,064 times

Advertisements

Is having sex just for fun and not for procreation a sin? I know that it's good for you in the medical, physical and mental levels. And if the body is the temple of God, then doing it solely for the other three purposes must be a good thing in the Creators eyes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2011, 03:21 PM

43 posts, read 46,871 times
Are you speaking from the point of view expressed by a particular religion? The definition of the term 'sin' varies, so the appropriate response to your question would likewise vary.

Old 01-10-2011, 03:24 PM

1,301 posts, read 2,111,153 times
No there's nothing wrong with it.

There are consequences to irresponsible behavior, though. People do need to use their brains and not just behave purely on instincts. That's how we get a lot of STDs, unwanted pregnancies, and broken homes.

Old 01-10-2011, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunniRabbi View Post
Are you speaking from the point of view expressed by a particular religion? The definition of the term 'sin' varies, so the appropriate response to your question would likewise vary.
I see where your coming from .

No, I just figured that all religions would have their own variations of the answer. But to hear what they all may believe in would be worth listening to. Besides, there are many things that the Jewish faith teaches that I like. I read allot of Rabbi Harold Kushnerss work , his books have helped me through some tough times.

Old 01-10-2011, 05:02 PM

43 posts, read 46,871 times
Well if we're to speak from our own religious perspective...

My own faith uses no specific concept of sin aside from something being "wrong". Also, as an atheist, I'm not inclined to concern myself with a creator's opinion.

Morally, sex is not a immoral act, as it carries no inherent harm. As achickenchaser said, there are issues of responsibility, and likewise if those are not addressed, then something immoral has been done.

More specifically, the first Unitarian Universalist Principle refers to upholding human dignity, and while most UUs would agree that sex is not inherently undignified, some might feel that certain sexual practices violate that Principle. There's nothing near a universal stance on this, but as for myself I would think certain sex-acts that intentionally include disgrace could count as a violation.

Even with that in mind, I'm on the fence about bondage and related activity. Illegal prostitution certainly would qualify as undignified, and I think legal prostitution, which would have much better conditions due to regulations, would become too banal to be dignified.

Old 01-10-2011, 07:09 PM

6,222 posts, read 4,013,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthBound? View Post
Is having sex just for fun and not for procreation a sin? I know that it's good for you in the medical, physical and mental levels. And if the body is the temple of God, then doing it solely for the other three purposes must be a good thing in the Creators eyes.
as long as there is no rape involved...let the good times roll! and roll often!

Old 01-10-2011, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunniRabbi View Post
Well if we're to speak from our own religious perspective...

My own faith uses no specific concept of sin aside from something being "wrong". Also, as an atheist, I'm not inclined to concern myself with a creator's opinion.

Morally, sex is not a immoral act, as it carries no inherent harm. As achickenchaser said, there are issues of responsibility, and likewise if those are not addressed, then something immoral has been done.

More specifically, the first Unitarian Universalist Principle refers to upholding human dignity, and while most UUs would agree that sex is not inherently undignified, some might feel that certain sexual practices violate that Principle. There's nothing near a universal stance on this, but as for myself I would think certain sex-acts that intentionally include disgrace could count as a violation.

Even with that in mind, I'm on the fence about bondage and related activity. Illegal prostitution certainly would qualify as undignified, and I think legal prostitution, which would have much better conditions due to regulations, would become too banal to be dignified.
I'm not talking about bondage, pins, ropes or anything else like that weird stuff. I'm talking about just having sex for the fun of it and not to be shooting out babies at every turn just because you can. You know, a good roll in the hay, the horizontal mambo, mattress dancing, afternoon de-lite and all that good stuff with the one you love and are married to. Get the point, "living like lovers, rolling like thunder under the covers" LOL

Old 01-10-2011, 11:02 PM

727 posts, read 540,515 times
People seems to do it for what ever reasons. Sex is just form.

Old 01-11-2011, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asexualgirl View Post
People seems to do it for what ever reasons. Sex is just form.
And there you have it, "sex, is for fun". But allot of the time you have these hard core Christians that think it's wrong to have sex (For Fun) and that it should only be for procreation to populate the earth. Or, is it actually like some of the more fanatical religions to, "Populate the world with their people to overwhelm the others and take over"?

I have a sister who's a fanatical type of pentecostal and every time we turned around she was asking if we were trying to have kids yet. I really wanted to pop her in the mouth and tell her, "not everyone see the need to pop out kids like candy" so quit asking, it's none of your business. So I'll just stick to poking fun.

Old 01-11-2011, 01:58 PM

20,442 posts, read 12,796,101 times
According to the Bible, sex for pleasure (within marriage) is encouraged.

Song of Solomon
Proverbs 5
1 Corinthians 7
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality