Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2011, 11:07 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,861,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartalx View Post
First. Hell was not made for us. We were meant for Heaven. Our rebellion against God is what made it necessary for God to punish us.
You mean the 'rebellion' that, due to his alleged omniscience, he knew was going to happen.

Quote:
Second. Soooo.... Does the fact that we have a legal system that can send people to jail or to their death mean that we don't have free will?
The sort of free will we are talking about here is the husband saying to the wife "You don't have to love me or worship me but if you don't I'll kill you." That is not freedom to choose, it's coercion and extortion. No different from the Mafia saying 'You don't have to pay the protection money but if you don't, we'll burn your house down.'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2011, 11:09 PM

1,084 posts, read 1,547,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilvan View Post
As I said before, God allows Satan 6000 years to sway and influence the whole World, including the mainline Christianity!

Rebellious means willful living in sin. Sin is the transgression of God's Law... which is simply the TEN Commandments. Many Christians today have willfully refused to obey the Commandments, specially the 4th on Sabbath. This is the main reason why they don't understand God's plan; in fact God said he sent them a strong delusion so they won't see the truth.

By the way, attending church for fellowship is encouraged but it is not a sin if we don't. I believe we can have fellowship online... it does not have to be face to face.
BTW. I'm Christian so I would like to point out that the 10 Commandments aren't Christian law. They are JEWISH law. Jesus condensed the 10 commandments down into The Greatest Commandment, Wichita exists in two parts. Love God and Love your neighbor. Did you notice that the 10 commandments have 2 parts? The first 4 are commandments of obedience. The last 6 are practical. Jesus saw these two parts in the 10 commandments so that is why He reduced them down into 2 parts if one commandment.

But, in giving us the greatest commandment Jesus wasn't confirming the OT laws. He was describing them to someone who challenged His knowledge of Jewish law. We Christians are no longer under the rules and laws written out in the old testament. Obviously that doesn't mean it's okay to murder. But if we do, and repent and accept Jesus' gift of eternal salvation, we won't be punished by God. The old testament laws are for Earthly life. The New Testament is for our afterlife.

Old 04-25-2011, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
You mean the 'rebellion' that, due to his alleged omniscience, he knew was going to happen.
Well, yeah. But I guess He hoped. God has changed His mind before, due to the actions of a man. It's in scripture. Does that mean He didn't have omniscience? No.
Quote:
The sort of free will we are talking about here is the husband saying to the wife "You don't have to love me or worship me but if you don't I'll kill you." That is not freedom to choose, it's coercion and extortion.
That's a bit extreme isn't it? God doesn't kill us.
Quote:
No different from the Mafia saying 'You don't have to pay the protection money but if you don't, we'll burn your house down.'
And the same as the judge saying, you don't have to limit your speed but if you don't, you'll get a ticket and have to pay a fine. Act in rebellion enough and we won't let you drive anymore.

Old 04-25-2011, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hueffenhardt View Post
"And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." Deuteronomy 6:5

"And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first commandment." Mark 12:30

"And he answering said, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy strength, and with all thy mind; and thy neighbour as thyself." Luke 10:27
Yep, those last two are The Greatest Commandment, a compensation of the entire OT law. But it's not a requirement to get into Heaven. Accepting Jesus sacrifice is the only commandment. But when you receive this gift, you can't help but to love God. Cause and effect. It's not coercion any more than gravity holding you down isn't coercion. It's just a fact.

Old 04-25-2011, 11:28 PM

Quote:
We Christians are no longer under the rules and laws written out in the old testament.
Really! Even though the OT says that your gods laws "are everlasting" and "endureth forever"? Even though your Jesus said "I have not come to abolish the laws" and "Until heaven and earth pass away, not one letter, not one jot of the law will change." ??

Old 04-25-2011, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by actonbell View Post
Did man evolve from dirt
No.
Actually according to evolution all life evolved from the "primordial soup" which is basically dirt and water.

Old 04-25-2011, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Actually according to evolution all life evolved from the "primordial soup" which is basically dirt and water.
Hardly what you said was it?

...and the "Primordial Soup" was not 'basically' dirt and water. Look it up.

Old 04-25-2011, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Really! Even though the OT says that your gods laws "are everlasting" and "endureth forever"? Even though your Jesus said "I have not come to abolish the laws" and "Until heaven and earth pass away, not one letter, not one jot of the law will change." ??
As I said, those laws are for our life on Earth. They affect our life on Earth. Obeying or disobeying them isn't what gets you into Heaven or Hell.

Old 04-25-2011, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Hardly what you said was it?
Since all I said was about scriptural law, no. It's not.

Old 04-25-2011, 11:38 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,596,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hueffenhardt View Post
"And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." Deuteronomy 6:5

"And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first commandment." Mark 12:30

"And he answering said, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy strength, and with all thy mind; and thy neighbour as thyself." Luke 10:27
Because a person cannot love God and love another god at the same time. Much like a marriage, wouldn't you say? So now we are at the part where a person must make a choice.

The other part of this choice is, no matter which a man chooses, the love of God, or the love of say money as a god, God's will is done, no matter what.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality