Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2015, 10:27 AM

15,501 posts, read 17,073,501 times

Advertisements

This has perplexed me for a long time. I do not see the logic or need behind it.

But, very often I have found that people do not share what is good about their religion, they seem to prefer to attack what they believe is wrong about the other person's religion.

Am I just seeing a limited view or is that really how it is?

Is anything ever gained even if Person A does prove person B is wrong?

My own very biased opinion: it is an ego trip to find reason to believe the other person is wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2015, 11:10 AM

18,491 posts, read 9,157,203 times
Well, if Religion A claims to be the One True Religion, then any other religion is false (according to Religion A) and must be refuted, demeaned, or even persecuted.

Both Christianity and Islam have historically claimed to be the One True Religion, hence the conflict (often violent) between the two.

Old 06-16-2015, 11:11 AM

4,023 posts, read 3,797,979 times
Might be ego, but in a lot of people's minds anyone running around saying their religion is right is saying all others are wrong by extension.

EDIT - great minds and all that; Freak80 posted pretty much the same thing as I was typing. Quick reputation coming your way...

Old 06-16-2015, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Well, if Religion A claims to be the One True Religion, then any other religion is false (according to Religion A) and must be refuted, demeaned, or even persecuted.

Both Christianity and Islam have historically claimed to be the One True Religion, hence the conflict (often violent) between the two.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarvedTones View Post
Might be ego, but in a lot of people's minds anyone running around saying their religion is right is saying all others are wrong by extension.

EDIT - great minds and all that; Freak80 posted pretty much the same thing as I was typing. Quick reputation coming your way...
Both very probably true.

I can understand a person saying their religion is the True one. I have no objection to that. I like wise belive my Religious beliefs are true.

What I can not understand is the desire or need to say another person's belief is wrong and point out perceived errors.

It seems the better choice would be for person I to simply stick to with what is right about religion A and have no need to worry about person B. No matter how wrong person A proves religion B to be that is no verification religion A is true.

Old 06-16-2015, 12:27 PM

28,091 posts, read 29,952,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
My own very biased opinion: it is an ego trip to find reason to believe the other person is wrong.
Your own very biased opinion matches my own very biased opinion totally. I like this quote from Roger Keller, a convert to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints who was once a Presbyterian minister: "I do not believe that I have to undercut another person’s position to make my position look good. If I have to do that, I don’t have a position…. If I have to do that, I’m not depending upon the Holy Spirit, who validates what is true."

Old 06-16-2015, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Your own very biased opinion matches my own very biased opinion totally. I like this quote from Roger Keller, a convert to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints who was once a Presbyterian minister: "I do not believe that I have to undercut another person’s position to make my position look good. If I have to do that, I don’t have a position…. If I have to do that, I’m not depending upon the Holy Spirit, who validates what is true."
or another way of wording it: "If a person has to demean another person's views, that person is not very certain of his own views".

Old 06-16-2015, 01:20 PM

25,962 posts, read 22,107,325 times
My experience has been that they really don't know their own religion well enough to discuss its good points but listen to the news and pick up tidbits which they use to demean other religions.

I don't want to hear what's wrong with my religious beliefs but what is right with yours. And, if you have a tiny poodle (I have 2 large dogs) and I ask "Why would anyone want one of those?" And, you immediately start saying what is wrong with having 2 large dogs............ This happens in every venue now. I would be the best candidate because I'm not sleeping with my assistant? Along those lines.

I get so weary of those SO terribly misinformed or uninformed about different religions spouting off. I explored different religions and that is how I came about my beliefs. It is very difficult to find someone open minded enough to discuss religion openly and a lot of that has to do with ignorance. They believe what they believe but have no real explanation why but what they believe is definitely correct and what you believe is not. They know what you believe because they saw all about your religion on the TV. : (

Old 06-16-2015, 01:23 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,026,116 times
Quote:
This has perplexed me for a long time. I do not see the logic or need behind it.

But, very often I have found that people do not share what is good about their religion, they seem to prefer to attack what they believe is wrong about the other person's religion.

Am I just seeing a limited view or is that really how it is?

Is anything ever gained even if Person A does prove person B is wrong?

You talkin' 'bout me, Wood?....

Old 06-16-2015, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
You talkin' 'bout me, Wood?....
Richard I have not seen you do that..

I personally have no objection with you telling what you see as your belief. That is not demeaning or cutting down another person's belief.

Old 06-16-2015, 01:59 PM

18,491 posts, read 9,157,203 times
Quote:
or another way of wording it: "If a person has to demean another person's views, that person is not very certain of his own views".
Not necessarily. I tend to demean the view that the world is flat, and yet I am still very certain that the world is approximately round.

Maybe it's different in religion, where beliefs have little correspondence with observable reality?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality