Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 05:57 PM

1,770 posts, read 2,897,517 times

Advertisements

Brief history: I went to Catholic School from grades K-8. The only thing I learned was that it's wrong to talk while we stand in a single file line to go to the bathroom.. ..

Anyway, I was coming back from my lunch break today and some loon was handing out May 21 2011 Rapture pamphlets. Since I can't resist a good laugh, I take the papers and read them at work.

Oh man.

It speaks about Noah and that nonsense. I've always known the story of Noah's Ark... and without any details I always thought it was crap. Now that I've read the details, I can't believe people ACTUALLy believe this!

I mean..

He was like 600 years old when he built the ark?!!? I know 60 year olds today who don't understand the concept of "touch screen". Then he lives to be 950 years old?!?...

Seriously, how can anyone believe this at all? I'm all for having faith -- that's fine!! -- but COME ON people. There's a fine line between faith and logic. I may not believe in God, but I can understand people having faith that there is one.. that's fine! But to believe stories like this?!!??!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2011, 06:03 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,683,499 times
There is no "fine line between faith and logic".

Old 05-06-2011, 07:09 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,942,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h0tmess View Post
Brief history: I went to Catholic School from grades K-8. The only thing I learned was that it's wrong to talk while we stand in a single file line to go to the bathroom.. ..

Anyway, I was coming back from my lunch break today and some loon was handing out May 21 2011 Rapture pamphlets. Since I can't resist a good laugh, I take the papers and read them at work.

Oh man.

It speaks about Noah and that nonsense. I've always known the story of Noah's Ark... and without any details I always thought it was crap. Now that I've read the details, I can't believe people ACTUALLy believe this!

I mean..

He was like 600 years old when he built the ark?!!? I know 60 year olds today who don't understand the concept of "touch screen". Then he lives to be 950 years old?!?...

Seriously, how can anyone believe this at all? I'm all for having faith -- that's fine!! -- but COME ON people. There's a fine line between faith and logic. I may not believe in God, but I can understand people having faith that there is one.. that's fine! But to believe stories like this?!!??!

That is the only thing you learned, at least you have nice bathroom manners.

Old 05-06-2011, 08:02 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,734,867 times
Quote:

Other fun dates:

1844 - William Miller predicted Christ would return between March 21, 1843 and March 21, 1844, then revised his prediction, claiming to have miscalculated Scripture, to October 22, 1844. The realization that the predictions were incorrect resulted in a Great Disappointment. Miller's theology gave rise to the Advent movement. The Baha'is believe that Christ did return as Miller predicted in 1844, with the advent of The Báb, and numerous Miller-like prophetic predictions from many religions are given in William Sears book, Thief in The Night.

1914, 1918, 1925, 1942 and 1975 - Dates set for the end by the Jehovah's Witnesses

1981 - Chuck Smith predicted that Jesus would probably return by 1981.

1988 - Publication of 88 Reasons why the Rapture is in 1988, by Edgar C. Whisenant.

1989 - Publication of The final shout: Rapture report 1989, by Edgar Whisenant. More predictions by this author appeared for 1992, 1995, and other years.

1992 - Korean group "Mission for the Coming Days" predicted October 28, 1992 as the date for the rapture.

1993 - Seven years before the year 2000. The rapture would have to start to allow for seven years of the Tribulation before the Return in 2000. Multiple predictions.

1994 - Pastor John Hinkle of Christ Church in Los Angeles predicted June 9, 1994. Radio evangelist Harold Camping predicted September 6th, 1994.
2011 - Harold Camping's revised prediction has May 21, 2011 as the date of the rapture.

2060 - Sir Isaac Newton proposed, based upon his calculations using figures from the book of Daniel, that the Apocalypse could happen no earlier than 2060.

I don't know if I buy into the rapture as theorized by evangelicals. They'll deny it till doomsday, but their idea of the rapture is a relatively new theological concept originating in the 1600's. They like to say the idea has been around all along, but it hasn't.

I gotta admit it's fun to watch these people do what they do. The trouble is that everyone seems to be missing the part in the NT where Jesus said that nobody knows the year/hour/day when he will return and nobody is ever going to know until it actually happens. And we're better off that way, believer or non-believer. If we don't know when, we forgo a giant list of craziness. If you're not living your life as though the end might or might not come tomorrow you're doing it wrong.

Ultimately, these folks are already too late. We were already doomed and never noticed it:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/4/42/1992_Rapture.jpg (broken link)

Old 05-06-2011, 09:25 PM

430 posts, read 583,541 times
Quote:
...some loon was handing out May 21 2011 Rapture pamphlets. Since I can't resist a good laugh, I take the papers and read them at work.

Oh man.

I mean..

Please direct your amazement to one Campbell34, right here on these very pages. He'll change your mind! He has all the latest facts!

Old 05-06-2011, 09:30 PM

3,202 posts, read 4,434,090 times
Quote:

Well at least your parents got something for all that tuition money.

Old 05-07-2011, 12:04 AM

13,933 posts, read 12,896,363 times
Quote:

Oh man.

I mean..

Most Christians TRUE CHRISTIANS dont beleive that stuff. The group you are speaking of has predicted the rapture several times before and all without coming true. A true Christian, one who reads their Bible, will know that no man knows the date of the rapture. Jesus says that even he does not know the date but only the father { god }

Old 05-08-2011, 12:21 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,462,379 times
Lol. I just came to Boston for a month for a training program and the first thing I saw on the train was a sign talking about the May 21 Rapture, and another ad for a church saying it was open extra hours this month to save people before May 21. Then the second I got off the train I saw a car driving by with a sign that said "SATAN WILL OVERTAKE THE WORLD ON MAY 21 2011 UNLESS YOU SURRENDER TO GOD - GET SAVED NOW!"

I can't believe people believe this sh.t, lol.

Old 05-08-2011, 12:28 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,858,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
Lol. I just came to Boston for a month for a training program and the first thing I saw on the train was a sign talking about the May 21 Rapture, .....
My band has a gig on the 21st May. D'ya think I should cancel it??

Old 05-08-2011, 02:38 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,658,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
My band has a gig on the 21st May. D'ya think I should cancel it??
Nahh, just include a little bit of religious music at the gig so that some of the Fundamentalist Christians will have something to listen to on the way to their rapture....

Last edited by ptsum; 05-08-2011 at 03:22 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality