Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 08:45 PM

16 posts, read 91,774 times

Advertisements

For about a week whenever I think of God or give thanks, as silly as it sounds, the devil pops in my mind. I've prayed about it and sometimes I'm not bothered by my thoughts and then other times, it's all I can think about. What is wrong with me? I'm being completely serious! I don't know what's wrong with me? I've never had these types of thoughts. Any advice or opinions? What should I do, it's making me sick!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2011, 09:16 PM

8,177 posts, read 6,925,948 times
It's probably just your mind messing with you. Kind of like laughing when you're not supposed to laugh. I remember once when I was younger I was in court with a friend and it was so quiet and serious that for some reason I started to quietly laugh a little. Then I felt my friend shaking beside me (trying not to laugh). Then it was just all over, we were uncontrollaby shaking with laughter, tears coming out of our eyes and everything. His stifled laughter was making it worse for me and vice versa. It was terrible. I wanted the floor to swallow me up.

The "devil", whatever it is that you are thinking, the word "DEVIL" or some red man with a pitchfork, or whatever you think this "devil" is, is propably popping into your mind because you probably think you shouldn't think of the devil, so there you go. What better time for it to pop in your mind than when you are thinking of God. Your mind is just messing with you. I wouldn't worry about it. Just imagine a brick wall in your head and stick the "devil" thoughts back behind there. I think everyone experiences intrusive thoughts. Just toss up the wall and block it. Don't worry or have fear about it. Fear is insatiable. The more you feed it, the more it wants.

peace..

Old 05-11-2011, 09:24 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,578,968 times
It sounds like a spiritual battle to me. I've had many problems of the same kind. Like inappropriate thoughts at church and others. These spiritual powers that work on us can not stand or stay around if you rebuke them in the name of Jesus. I know that sounds very simplistic but I urge you to try it. Contemplate on your love for God and his greatness and soon these "Powers of the Air" will buzz off.

Old 05-11-2011, 09:49 PM

7,076 posts, read 12,348,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaffronP15 View Post
For about a week whenever I think of God or give thanks, as silly as it sounds, the devil pops in my mind. I've prayed about it and sometimes I'm not bothered by my thoughts and then other times, it's all I can think about. What is wrong with me? I'm being completely serious! I don't know what's wrong with me? I've never had these types of thoughts. Any advice or opinions? What should I do, it's making me sick!
Get off the internet and seek professional help. I'm serious. Nobody here knows you personally, therefore you won't find real help here if your OP is a serious one. People have been known to do weird things after listening to the advice of online bloggers. Your post has me concerned and I hope you seek help (no joke!!!).

Old 05-11-2011, 10:06 PM

8,177 posts, read 6,925,948 times
saffron...

Now urbancharlotte's got me worried that maybe I've said the wrong thing. eek. I hope not. Maybe your problem is bigger than I thought, like urbancharlotte said, I really don't know. I've had some experience with this type of thing, and for me personally, the less power I gave it, the quicker it just faded away. I've had these "instrusive thoughts" thing and for awhile it got big and out of control, but then when I really just stopped freaking out about it, it slowly faded. Seriously. I made the problem worse by dwelling on it. Then I realized that it really wasn't a problem. I was just latching onto it and seeing it for more than what it was. Maybe it will be the same for you, or maybe not. Only you can be the judge if you need to see a professional.

For me, I didn't. It was mostly just fear wreaking havoc and me allowing it to.

peace,
sparrow

Old 05-12-2011, 08:05 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,815,703 times
Do I dare post?

Ok, here it goes...

Since the devil is the antithesis of god in your religion, your subconscious mind may be creating conflicting feelings as a manifestation of some unresolved issue about your church that is bothering you.

Look for your problem in/with church... it could be as simple as a sour relationship with a congregation member. Resolve it and the "devil" will go away.

Old 05-12-2011, 08:22 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,374,746 times
Quote:
The more you try not to think about something, the more you will think about it. Usually if someone says to you "DO NOT think of a rabbit" the first thing your brain will do is think of rabbits.

So really it sounds like you have nothing to worry about. You are allowing yourself to become obsessed with not thinking about something... which makes you think about it... which makes you obsess more.... which makes....

You get the picture.

Old 05-12-2011, 08:45 AM

10,607 posts, read 11,658,684 times
Quote:
Stop praying and seek professional help.

Old 05-13-2011, 03:08 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,281,755 times
quit thinking of god and praying......and don't worry......if you believe in god, then you know he'll take care of you.

Old 05-13-2011, 11:24 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,187,018 times
Only if you have certain beliefs about God.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality