Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2011, 09:28 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,776,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radrook View Post
That immoral heterosexual lifestyle you describe is definitely condemned and held in utter contempt by true Christians who respect what the Bible says about it.
No they aren't. 90% of heterosexuals fornicate... A LOT. 50% of all Christian marriages end in divorce. 70% of all heterosexuals commit adultery. The United States, one of the most Christian nations in the world, is also the most obese and lazy in the world. We also have the highest crime rates on the planet.

There is no such thing as a "true Christian" based on your criteria, and none of the above issues come even remotely close to your hatred of gays. I don't see you conservatives trying to ban fast food, or divorce, or adultery, or fornication, or remarriage, etc.

You don't try to pass laws to stop any of those other sins. Abortion and Gays are all you people give a crap about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2011, 02:53 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,561,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
No they aren't. 90% of heterosexuals fornicate... A LOT.
I believe this is true.

Quote:
50% of all Christian marriages end in divorce.
I would need more information here. Are we just meaning the US? Because I'm pretty certain 50% of Christian marriages in Poland, Greece, or even the Netherlands do not end in divorce. Let alone in poorer countries. And what generation are we meaning? Christians who married before 1970 do not have that high of a divorce rate last I checked.

Quote:
70% of all heterosexuals commit adultery.
Yeah you're going to have to cite something for this because I've never heard anything that indicates the rate is that high. Even Kinsey's studies seem to place it as more like 38% overall and 50% for men.

Unless you're meaning all remarriage after a divorce is adultery per the Gospels. As a Catholic I could definitely see that, but it might be slightly unreasonable to expect all people to accept Catholic understanding of adultery.

Quote:
The United States, one of the most Christian nations in the world, is also the most obese and lazy in the world. We also have the highest crime rates on the planet.
None of this is actually true. America is the most obese nation in the OECD, but that's just a group of 33 countries. The most obese nation overall is either Nauru or one of the other Polynesian nations. Americans work more than just about any other people. And several of the more advanced nations of the Caribbean have both higher murder and higher robbery rates than us as does the Baltics. That includes Estonia, which has one of the most atheistic populations in the world.

US Loses Its Fat Supremacy | Obesity & Fattest Nations | Obesity Epidemic | LiveScience
International Human Development Indicators - UNDP
International Human Development Indicators - UNDP

Quote:
There is no such thing as a "true Christian" based on your criteria, and none of the above issues come even remotely close to your hatred of gays. I don't see you conservatives trying to ban fast food, or divorce, or adultery, or fornication, or remarriage, etc.
If he wishes to ban homosexual relationships or overturn Lawrence v Texas I agree that's wrong.

Quote:
You don't try to pass laws to stop any of those other sins. Abortion and Gays are all you people give a crap about.
The job of a conservative isn't to ban all sin. Humans have free-will so forcing them by law to avoid all sin would possibly make virtue artificial or unreal.

Conservatism, real conservatism, is about things like prudence and tradition. Making marriage gender-neutral is a pretty big change in society. Traditionally I favored it being one that should occur by voting to assure it happens gradually and any problems in the notion can be dealt with through testing on a state level. I admit the reaction/debate to voting, from Prop 8, made me think it may be a bad idea in general. That it's kind of just become the creation of "inalienable rights" based on no precedent at all and a weapon to attack religious minorities like Mormons. (The Maine vote, pro and con sides, were more sensible and may ultimately veer me back to my original position)

The element of "preserving life" is not necessarily conservative in the US, as the notion that some lives are of limited value is well-enshrined in American culture, but is significant to me. However it's not just "abortion the end." I'm also against euthanasia as are many conservatives. Although I'm not opposed to the death penalty I lean toward it being used only in extreme cases. (Serial-killers, mass-murderers, people who order "hits" from behind bars, and things of that nature) I admit that one is unlike conservatives.

Old 05-22-2011, 04:27 AM

869 posts, read 972,482 times
Quote:
Can I suggest using bold instead of all caps? All caps is akin to yelling and hard on the eyes, not to mention impossible for speech output users to understand.
The ones using those caps are the ones who post the scriptures in that particular way. I just happen to copy and paste the scriptures as I find them typed. It bothers me as well. So from now on if scriptures are posted with words standing out in caps I won't use them. It will of course take more time but it's worth it. Thanx for pointing that out.

Old 05-22-2011, 08:50 AM

13,933 posts, read 12,898,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Definition of a true Christian....The kind practiced by the person claiming that others are not...Synonyms: arrogance, prejudice, snobbery.

Since there are as many ways of defining Christianity as there are Christians, a "true Christian" does not exist.
WRONG

A true Christian:--- somone who beleives in Jesus Christ as their savior and puts forth a sincere effort to live by the teachings of Christianity. I say effort because nobody can be totaly perect. As long as the above requiments are met, than that person is a true Christian.

Quote:
My point was merely do you think it's fair to judge an entire group based on a stereotype?
To answer your question, no.
How can a person worship a religion that despises gay people?
do you think this assesment is fair? I assume by "religion" the OP is talking about Christianiy. Is it fair to assume that all Christians HATE gay people just because there are some who do? Granted, there are probly quite a few more who do than dont, but to assume ALL do is also absurd. The Bible teaches us that even though their lifestyle may be wrong, these people are of Gods children as well. Thus, any Christian who hates people because they are gay or for any other reason is not a true Christian.

Quote:
No they aren't. 90% of heterosexuals fornicate... A LOT. 50% of all Christian marriages end in divorce. 70% of all heterosexuals commit adultery. The United States, one of the most Christian nations in the world, is also the most obese and lazy in the world. We also have the highest crime rates on the planet.

I dont doubt your statistics, but this plays into a debate you and I had on another thread. Out of these 50%, how many of them were sincere enough about there christian beliefs to have allowed them to play a role in their lives and their decision making? Probubly not many. Remember, it takes no effort to "claim" to be a Christian, the hrd part is actually being one

Old 05-22-2011, 08:30 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,464,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radrook View Post
The ones using those caps are the ones who post the scriptures in that particular way. I just happen to copy and paste the scriptures as I find them typed. It bothers me as well. So from now on if scriptures are posted with words standing out in caps I won't use them. It will of course take more time but it's worth it. Thanx for pointing that out.
Here are a few sites where you can get Bible verses without caps:

BibleGateway.com: A searchable online Bible in over 100 versions and 50 languages.

Genesis 1 NIV

Old 05-22-2011, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug S. 123 View Post

To answer your question, no.
How can a person worship a religion that despises gay people?
do you think this assesment is fair? I assume by "religion" the OP is talking about Christianiy. Is it fair to assume that all Christians HATE gay people just because there are some who do? Granted, there are probly quite a few more who do than dont, but to assume ALL do is also absurd. The Bible teaches us that even though their lifestyle may be wrong, these people are of Gods children as well. Thus, any Christian who hates people because they are gay or for any other reason is not a true Christian.
Do all Christians hate gay people? No. But in general, the more conservative one gets, the more likely they are to strongly criticize and demonize gays to the point of physically, emotionally, and/or financially hurting them.

And once again, can you please stop calling it a "lifestyle". That is a right wing propaganda buzz word used to demonize gays. There is no "gay lifestyle" exclusive to everyone, and the Bible most certainly doesn't talk about one unless you consider pagan prostitution and sacrifices to the god Molech as a "lifestyle".

Quote:
I dont doubt your statistics, but this plays into a debate you and I had on another thread. Out of these 50%, how many of them were sincere enough about there christian beliefs to have allowed them to play a role in their lives and their decision making? Probubly not many. Remember, it takes no effort to "claim" to be a Christian, the hrd part is actually being one
I agree, but since we don't know the minds of those making the claim, we have to take their word for it. Roughly 75% of the US claims to be Christian. What percent is true Christian? 5? 10? 25? How can we know? Especially since there are over 30,000 denominations in the world, so what one Christian considers to a "true Christian" is entirely different what another believes it to be.

Old 05-22-2011, 10:08 PM

16,431 posts, read 22,202,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug S. 123 View Post
how many of them were sincere enough about there christian beliefs to have allowed them to play a role in their lives and their decision making? Probubly not many. Remember, it takes no effort to "claim" to be a Christian
Why does Obama and his order to not enforce the Defense of Marriage Act come to mind?

Old 05-22-2011, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Why does Obama and his order to not enforce the Defense of Marriage Act come to mind?
The Defense of Marriage Act is Unconstitutional. Obama is doing what any good American citizen should do - defend the Constitution.

Just because you erroneously believe marriage is a Christian institution doesn't mean it has any validity in a secular country.

Old 05-22-2011, 11:04 PM

869 posts, read 972,482 times
Quote:

Nimchimpsky wrote:

Here are a few sites where you can get Bible verses without caps:

BibleGateway.com: A searchable online Bible in over 100 versions and 50 languages.

Genesis 1 NIV
Before my vintage 1995 Compaq Presario bought the farm Bible Gateway was the primary place where I got my scriptures. But all that organization was lost with the computer breakdown and I am still in the process of acquiring the same useful links I once had. Thanx for the help!

Old 05-23-2011, 06:49 AM

99 posts, read 123,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Definition of a true Christian....The kind practiced by the person claiming that others are not...Synonyms: arrogance, prejudice, snobbery.

Since there are as many ways of defining Christianity as there are Christians, a "true Christian" does not exist.

Well I am not those things. I am a Christian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality