Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2011, 05:12 AM

5,563 posts, read 7,216,945 times

Advertisements

I think theists misinterpret when we point out the atrocities their god condones or even carried out in their bible. Most atheists I have met online are ex theists who have a far better knowledge than the average theist of the bible and the many interpretations apologists use to try and explain away inconsistencies and obvious bloodthirsty barbarism.

Christianity unlike Islam has progressed to cherry pick their doctrines and ignore the commandments that instruct folk to stone their children to death or adulterers etc. primarily because in most xian nations, the secular law of the land protects these people form biblical judgement and execution. In Islamic theocracies these happen as they are still in their own dark ages much like the Jews were 3500 years ago.

Yet we have folk pushing for the extreme like Joel's army wanting to take the US back to the dark ages of xianity.

As for the OP and blessings, the inverse should be a curse yet the flock do not see it as that but god working in mysterious ways. Even though we read that their god both blesses and curses. Who instigates the generational curse if not their god?

There is no correlation between tragic events and the number of believers/unbelievers involved but this does not deter them from simply dismissing these stats as innuendo so that they can still hang on to their feeble hopes and dreams.

Like I have said many times, religion fills the role of tribalism that the modern society has dispensed with.

The why is taken care of in their bible in texts like "it rains on the just and the unjust", "dogs returning to their vomit" and "not being unequally yoked with unbelievers". The bible is compiled as one huge apologetic for these obvious questions folk will face post conversion when they see no real difference between themselves and the rest of humanity. When good stuff happens, they are blessed but when the crap hits the fan, god is merely testing them and is less worse than what Job had to go through.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2011, 06:45 AM

2,958 posts, read 2,561,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekerSA View Post
I think theists misinterpret when we point out the atrocities their god condones or even carried out in their bible. Most atheists I have met online are ex theists who have a far better knowledge than the average theist of the bible and the many interpretations apologists use to try and explain away inconsistencies and obvious bloodthirsty barbarism.

Christianity unlike Islam has progressed to cherry pick their doctrines and ignore the commandments that instruct folk to stone their children to death or adulterers etc. primarily because in most xian nations, the secular law of the land protects these people form biblical judgement and execution. In Islamic theocracies these happen as they are still in their own dark ages much like the Jews were 3500 years ago.

Yet we have folk pushing for the extreme like Joel's army wanting to take the US back to the dark ages of xianity.

As for the OP and blessings, the inverse should be a curse yet the flock do not see it as that but god working in mysterious ways. Even though we read that their god both blesses and curses. Who instigates the generational curse if not their god?

There is no correlation between tragic events and the number of believers/unbelievers involved but this does not deter them from simply dismissing these stats as innuendo so that they can still hang on to their feeble hopes and dreams.

Like I have said many times, religion fills the role of tribalism that the modern society has dispensed with.

The why is taken care of in their bible in texts like "it rains on the just and the unjust", "dogs returning to their vomit" and "not being unequally yoked with unbelievers". The bible is compiled as one huge apologetic for these obvious questions folk will face post conversion when they see no real difference between themselves and the rest of humanity. When good stuff happens, they are blessed but when the crap hits the fan, god is merely testing them and is less worse than what Job had to go through.
And...when one considers the 162 mentions of eternal punishment in the flames of hell, 70 of them by Jesus himself, they would like to quickly lay that off to translation. Strange that for 2000 years billions of hell fire and damnation sermons were preached...many continue today. The entire new testament was written to scare the mortal stuffings out of those who considered doing bad things. And...to make the periodic collections of course. No church is worth it's salt which doesn't average at least 8% of everything it's congregation can earn...even the widows who can barely scrape by.

Recently a friend of mine died from cancer. When he was in his final days, withered to less than 70% of his normal weight, on all kinds of pain medication, etc. He suddenly changed his last will and testament and left his entire fortune(sizable to say the least) to a Methodist church which he had probably attended a grand total of a few dozen times. His daughter and two sisters contested the 11th hour changes to his will and guess who showed up in court to fight it. You got it sport's fans...very expensive lawyers for the Methodist church.

Last edited by Melvin.George; 06-04-2011 at 06:55 AM..

Old 06-04-2011, 06:59 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,399,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvin.George View Post
Hey it's not an issue. I would just like to read some of the posts, by atheists, who credited or blamed god for anything...that's all.

Now if you want to say, "Blamed Those Who Worship God, or Gods," we might come to an understanding.

You're sure making an issue out of it. If you don't like the device some atheists use to argue their points, I guess you can take it up with them if you notice it being used since it seems to be such a concern to you. If you don't believe that it happens then it obviously doesn't, because something can't be true unless you've seen it yourself, apparently. So, no need to worry about it. Problem solved.

Old 06-04-2011, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
You're sure making an issue out of it. If you don't like the device some atheists use to argue their points, I guess you can take it up with them if you notice it being used since it seems to be such a concern to you. If you don't believe that it happens then it obviously doesn't, because something can't be true unless you've seen it yourself, apparently. So, no need to worry about it. Problem solved.
It's not rocket science. Either show me some examples where Atheists blamed or gave credit to god or gods for something or go on to the better things. I am.

Last edited by Melvin.George; 06-04-2011 at 08:35 AM..

Old 06-04-2011, 08:17 AM

Quote:
It's not rocket science. Either show me some examples where Atheists blamed or gave credit to god or gods for something or go on the better things. I am.
I apologize for being snippy. The insinuaton that somehow I'm lying to make atheists look bad rubbed me the wrong way. I tend toward [agnostic] atheism myself (although I'm still quite open to possibility of the existence of a god). My post that started this whole thing was written with the intent to help Mr5150 see that even though atheists sometimes do seem to attribute things to god (apparently he's seen the same type of posts that I have) they do it to make a point, not because they believe a god exists.

So, in the interest of peace, tell me (if you're not already busy doing better things ) why the idea that an atheist would use a device like that to show the inconsistency of someone's beliefs is bothersome to you? Is it simply because it can be so easily misunderstood by others (like Mr5150) to mean an atheist deep down believes in god but just doesn't want to admit it? Or is there something else to it that I'm not getting?

Old 06-04-2011, 10:07 AM

Quote:
I apologize for being snippy. The insinuaton that somehow I'm lying to make atheists look bad rubbed me the wrong way. I tend toward [agnostic] atheism myself (although I'm still quite open to possibility of the existence of a god). My post that started this whole thing was written with the intent to help Mr5150 see that even though atheists sometimes do seem to attribute things to god (apparently he's seen the same type of posts that I have) they do it to make a point, not because they believe a god exists.

So, in the interest of peace, tell me (if you're not already busy doing better things ) why the idea that an atheist would use a device like that to show the inconsistency of someone's beliefs is bothersome to you? Is it simply because it can be so easily misunderstood by others (like Mr5150) to mean an atheist deep down believes in god but just doesn't want to admit it? Or is there something else to it that I'm not getting?
I apologize. I'm an old man without enough to do. I suppose the fact that I was brainwashed with that BS at a very young age and lived within the rules and wishes of the church until I was over sixty years old still weighs heavily on me. I will speak out against any and all worship of ancient gods for the rest of my life...even if I live to 100.

Old 06-04-2011, 10:21 AM

Quote:
I apologize. I'm an old man without enough to do. I suppose the fact that I was brainwashed with that BS at a very young age and lived within the rules and wishes of the church until I was over sixty years old still weighs heavily on me. I will speak out against any and all worship of ancient gods for the rest of my life...even if I live to 100.
Apology accepted. I completely understand and can empathize.

Personally, I still have a glimmer of an idea that the fundamentalist beliefs I was brought up with and which often caused me so much mental anguish, are simply a really black/white, ignorant and primitive way of understanding something beyond human comprehension (a conscious creative life force, perhaps). It's a possibility I enjoy exploring, at any rate, although the indoctrinated beliefs/perspective of "God" I once had are really hard to see beyond sometimes.

Just as often, of course, I think it's all hogwash, lol. I suppose people like myself who are rather wishy-washy on the whole thing can be aggravating to both sides of the argument.

Old 06-04-2011, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Apology accepted. I completely understand and can empathize.

Personally, I still have a glimmer of an idea that the fundamentalist beliefs I was brought up with and which often caused me so much mental anguish, are simply a really black/white, ignorant and primitive way of understanding something beyond human comprehension (a conscious creative life force, perhaps). It's a possibility I enjoy exploring, at any rate, although the indoctrinated beliefs/perspective of "God" I once had are really hard to see beyond sometimes.

Just as often, of course, I think it's all hogwash, lol. I suppose people like myself who are rather wishy-washy on the whole thing can be aggravating to both sides of the argument.
No...quite the contrary. I consider myself agnostic and basically say I'm not sure. One thing I feel sure of...if there is anything we will all get an equal shot at it and not because of patterning our lives after something from the developing imagination of a bunch of primitve goat herders who thought the earth was flat and the universe revolved around it.

Old 06-04-2011, 10:51 AM

Quote:
No...quite the contrary. I consider myself agnostic and basically say I'm not sure. One thing I feel sure of...if there is anything we will all get an equal shot at it and not because of patterning our lives after something from the developing imagination of a bunch of primitve goat herders who thought the earth was flat and the universe revolved around it.
I came to basically the same conclusion. If there is one thing I find most likely to be true from my Christian beliefs, it is that "God" is love (of the 1 Cor. 13 description), simply because I find that kind of love to be such a powerful and unique change agent. Love doesn't play favorites and it doesn't exclude people. I appreciate the idea of patterning my life after THAT.

Old 06-04-2011, 11:24 AM

912 posts, read 827,581 times
Blessings is just a word which express's through event a cause of, grace in life which enhance's the Spiritual Soul in virtue.

NOT...

Cars, boats, jobs, beautiful babes, perfect health to attract beautiful babes, winning sports match's, winning lotterys,healing , perfect health, getting a raise, winning a fist fight,

getting a new bike , an ice cream cone, good grades,

a new highchair, a new crib, a new.....

pacifer... boo hoo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality