Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 03:49 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,542,455 times

Advertisements

I often wondered if Christians believe in God or at least state that do because of Pascal. If so is that any way to live your life? Better safe then sorry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2011, 03:55 PM

2,256 posts, read 6,958,693 times
Don't want to burst your bubble but this has been beaten to death, revived, beaten again, etc. you get the picture

Old 10-26-2011, 04:00 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,542,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgt04 View Post
Don't want to burst your bubble but this has been beaten to death, revived, beaten again, etc. you get the picture

What topic on here hasn't?

Old 10-27-2011, 07:18 AM

2,472 posts, read 3,198,960 times
Yeah, sure. For some it is.

Old 10-27-2011, 08:55 AM

8,435 posts, read 10,531,736 times
Yes, it seems to me the wager plays a part. Just in case it's true... Believe it.

When I was a Christian kid I used to say to my friends, "what do you have to lose if it's wrong?"

That's the mindset of a lot of Christians IMO

Old 10-27-2011, 09:02 AM

2,332 posts, read 2,840,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
Yes, it seems to me the wager plays a part. Just in case it's true... Believe it.

When I was a Christian kid I used to say to my friends, "what do you have to lose if it's wrong?"

That's the mindset of a lot of Christians IMO

Nope Pascal's wager is based on the despair that God is unbelievably uninvolved when we live our total day-to-day lives. We can alternatively be nothing but greedy.

Old 10-27-2011, 02:01 PM

20,442 posts, read 12,796,101 times
According to the Bible, a "head" belief won't do you any good (James 2). True belief (of the heart) is genuine & causes a person to be changed for the better.

Old 10-27-2011, 04:07 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,920,995 times
Default Pascal's Wager Debunked.

Exactly. Let's assume for a moment, no matter how absurd it is, that God is listening to each part of all of the human minds' endless internal conversations. All 7+ billion of us! After all, I've been completely assured He controls, simultaneously, each and every sub-atomic particle in this macro-universe, simultaneously.

Oh wait; I used that word twice. Still, that's a staggeringly impressive feat, if He really is out there. All simultaneous'n'stuff!

You think you can fool Him into believing you're sincere just soz you don't go directly to hell?

What a trip! What a delusion!

He's no doubt laughing his proverbial buttocks off I'd say. To "believe" simply as a safety net is absurd on it's face. He obviously knows you're just stretching out a safety net that you hope and assume will catch your falling, sinful soul. In that case, He's gonna snip a few well-placed holes in it and laugh like Hell (so to speak..) as you fall through as though there were literally nothing there at all.

I mean, who do you think you're dealing with here? He knows when you've been sleeping, He knows when you're awake. He knows if you''ve been bad or good... oh wait; sorry! That's another mythology. My mistake. But it's about as credible. Same white-bearded big guy; different cult.

Old 10-27-2011, 04:31 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,192,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgnostic View Post
Nope Pascal's wager is based on the despair that God is unbelievably uninvolved when we live our total day-to-day lives. We can alternatively be nothing but greedy.
That actually makes sense to me. Although I don't really want to be "greedy" about anything but musical instruments.

He knows when you are sleeping,
He knows when you're awake.
He knows when you've been bad or good
So be good for goodness' sake!

There it is.

Old 10-29-2011, 12:14 PM

1,114 posts, read 1,224,644 times
LOL! People who think they can believe just out of sheer "will", do not have a true belief. An intellectual belief is not the same as a belief that occurs after a person is convicted by the holy spirit resulting in their becoming a "new" regenerated being. Many "intellectual believers" who think they can just choose to believe in god out of their own will, will surprisingly find out later that they had a false (not "true") belief when god tells them to "depart, I never knew you." Narrow is the gate.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality