Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 03:06 PM

2,705 posts, read 3,121,233 times

Advertisements

I defy anyone to prove that he or she is not just a brain in a vat being stimulated electrically to think it is a person experiencing everyday life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2011, 08:11 PM

335 posts, read 375,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel and The Dolphin View Post
So, I've been meditating a lot lately (Bhuddist Philosophy) and have really come to understand the illusion we create and call "Reality".

Anyone else touched enlightenment? I found it almost too much to take, like the weight of the understanding could dissolve me! What was your experience?
Yes, but then I found my enlightenment was a illusion too.

Now I'm lost, but ignorant and happy.

Old 06-11-2011, 08:12 PM

335 posts, read 375,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theophane View Post
I defy anyone to prove that he or she is not just a brain in a vat being stimulated electrically to think it is a person experiencing everyday life.
Cut down on the Matrix reruns.

Old 06-11-2011, 09:46 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,945,990 times
Smile Honoring The Tathagata

Quote:
ASATOMA SAT GAMAYA
TAMASOMA JYOTIR GAMAYA
MRITYORMA ANRITAM GAMAYA

The above is an ancient Sanskrit sloka (hymn of praise dedicated to God) which translates as:

Lead me from the unreal to the Real
Lead me from the darkness to the Light
Lead me from the temporary to the Eternal.

IMDB cinephiles among you might realize this sloka was included in the soundtrack of The Matrix Revolutions, during the final confrontation between Neo and Smith. (The fight in the rain with all the Smith clones watching.)
Oh! I like that one!

One of my favorites is in the Pali Language (used by the Theravada School of Buddhism, particularly The Dhammapada)

NAMO TASSA BHAGAVATO ARAHATO SAMMA SAMBUDDHASA

translation:

Hail and salutations to Him, the Blessed One, the Worthy One, the Supremely Enlightened One

Old 06-12-2011, 08:36 AM

2,468 posts, read 3,132,277 times
Quote:
Can anyone prove he/she is just a brain?
Plants don't have brains, yet they were shown to respond better or worse, according to the type of music played, with all other variables the same.

Old 06-12-2011, 11:05 AM

3,124 posts, read 4,937,768 times
Reality is real to us in it. When we dream, that is real to us too, until we wake.

Old 06-12-2011, 03:46 PM

2,468 posts, read 3,132,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel and The Dolphin View Post
Reality is real to us in it. When we dream, that is real to us too, until we wake.
Exactly!
There's a story of a boyscout, who came running back to camp, screaming, dirty, scraped up, bleeding with his clothes all torn up.
His scout leader, asked, "What happened to you?"
The boyscout explained, "A poisonous snake tried to strike & kill me, so I ran down the steep mountain!"
The leader asked what the snake looked like & the boyscout explained what the snake looked like.
The leader then said, "Oh, that kind of snake couldn't kill you."
The boy said, "If it could make me run off a cliff, it could!"

Beliefs are powerful -whether true or not!

Old 06-12-2011, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSoul View Post
Exactly!
There's a story of a boyscout, who came running back to camp, screaming, dirty, scraped up, bleeding with his clothes all torn up.
The boyscout explained, "A poisonous snake tried to strike & kill me, so I ran down the steep mountain!"
The leader asked what the snake looked like & the boyscout explained what the snake looked like.

That's an excellent example of how a belief that something exists is actually more important whether or not that thing actually exists.

Old 06-12-2011, 06:13 PM

2,108 posts, read 2,894,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSoul View Post
Exactly!

Actions that a person takes based on their beliefs can kill. All the more reason to not believe false things, but to believe what is true. Futhermore, we need to realize the limits of what we can know for sure and therefore, exercise caution and not be too certain about our beliefs. It is when we are certain (and wrong) that we are most dangerous.

It's too bad that the people most certain about their beliefs, and most in need of this caution, are least likely to consider that it is they who could be wrong.

Old 06-12-2011, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hueffenhardt View Post
Actions that a person takes based on their beliefs can kill. All the more reason to not believe false things, but to believe what is true. Futhermore, we need to realize the limits of what we can know for sure and therefore, exercise caution and not be too certain about our beliefs. It is when we are certain (and wrong) that we are most dangerous.

It's too bad that the people most certain about their beliefs, and most in need of this caution, are least likely to consider that it is they who could be wrong.
My irony meter just exploded into a thousand jagged pieces.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality