Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do Atheists annoy you?
Yes 16 8.79%
No 118 64.84%
Sometimes 6 3.30%
Just the militant, aggressive Atheists 42 23.08%
Voters: 182. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 09:34 AM

223 posts, read 268,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
I have got to say that this is probably the strongest argument Theists have.
Yet still as pathetic as anything St. Nicholas fans have to offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2011, 06:32 PM

1,196 posts, read 753,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abf5000 View Post
The real problem with these people is that the vast majority have never taken the time to read the bible , let alone get a Strong's concordance and go back to the original Hebrew , Greek and Aramaic manuscripts. They take a couple of verses from the bible and twist it to their line of thought, without following the subject and object of the chapter to make an uninformed skewed view to degrade individuals' beliefs. Don't get me wrong, I still don't hate or dislike Atheists, I have a very close friend who's an Atheist, and I love her a lot like a sister. I'm not a Christian either in case you're wondering. I'm a Deist. I think something created all this, who or what though I have no idea. Something can't come from nothing though.
you said something can't come from nothing,but you don't know that. humans,(though they act as though they have answers to everything), don't! there's NO proof,God had to come from something. so aren't you doing the same thing,(in a sense),as you accuse the atheist of doing? also atheist ,(and i'm not saying thery do this), isn't the only ones,(if some do). take what they want from God's words and switch it around.

there are plenty people i know who call themselves ministers,sisters,or brothers in christ. who are fornicators and adulterers. some shack and say,..we have to live with each other,in order to know each other. there's fornications for sure going on. i personally have more problems with "believers" than atheist. at least they don't yell halleujah in public. yet do everything against Jehovah God...and Jesus,under the sun.

so what i'm basically saying is,just because one believes in God,doesn't mean they have a first class ticket to Heaven. remeber what Jesus said..
(Matt.7:22,23- Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity). peace

Old 08-05-2011, 12:22 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OreNative78 View Post
Yet still as pathetic as anything St. Nicholas fans have to offer.
I won't quarrel with you there.

Old 08-06-2011, 09:41 AM

75 posts, read 60,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phxgreenfire View Post
You should familiarize yourself with that better then. The overwhelming majority of states do have constitutional bans on same-sex marriage. I repeat, there is absolutely NO reason other than religious thinking for these bans. I only wish people would understand that this issue is more deeply rooted than marriage equality. Why not spend some time looking up "cures" for gays/lesbians that were widely practiced in the United States, including castration, electroshock therapy and institutionalization. This wasn't even that long ago, relatively speaking. The APA classified homosexuality as a mental disorder up until 1973. And two men were arrested for engaging in homosexual sex in the privacy of an apartment over two decades later. The US Supreme Court didn't even strike down all those state bans until 2003.

These are stupid, invasive laws that only exist because Christians put them there. I'm sure two gay people are having sex right now somewhere, two are probably planning their wedding in a state that allows same-sex marriage... and yet, you have no idea that's going on. You don't know those people, they aren't affecting your life in any way... so why do Christians care?
Its not just "Christians" that are against homosexual marriage.

Old 08-06-2011, 05:38 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,917,890 times
Quote:
Well, the militant ones at least anyway.What really irritates me about these atheists is how easily they are led by so called science.

How much faith do you have to have to believe in spontaneous generation and that uni-cellular organisms have always existed?

Think about it, how cynical are you to look at the perfection of this environment and say it all started as a pool of super heated ooze or primordial soup completely unguided via naturalistic means. Then they take all these unproven theories like Abiogenesis and Spontaneous Generation and treat them as if they're fact.

The real problem with these people is that the vast majority have never taken the time to read the bible , let alone get a Strong's concordance and go bac
And if we have read the bible, and found it grossly unbelievable in regards to it's utter improbability, especially in light of what we've now found out to be factual about biology, bio-chemistry, astro-. nuclear- and/or quantum-physics, and modern geology and stratification sciences? How about the various and always-improving dating techniques? You just dismiss them? all in error? Sure. Very likely. (smirk...)

Q: could you, in any sort of technical detail, possibly educate us on several of the newer dating & aging techniques, also providing a summary of the reasonable and conservative limitations to each of them, as all honest scientists always do in their determinations?

So then what? The problem comes when you types [ I simply respond to your demeaningly descriptive comment above: "these people"] can't stomach or face those reproducible and oft-tested facts and obvious conclusions. The probability of some hyper-ultra-powerful presence, one capable, as my once-upon-a-time BF asserted,of controlling each and every sub-atomic particle (and whatever is even smaller than that) in the entire Universe, simultaneously, and originally just "Poofing" it all into organized being one week, is a bit far-fetched as well. Dont'cha think, old soul?

Not to mention that, despite the biblical claims, it's hardly finished "creatin' " yet, is it? God did apparently sit back and declare it to be finished, as the bible states. If so, He's not very good at it! All sorts of events, formative and destructive, are still happening all around us. Visible and not visible, but unfinished to be sure! Super-novas of old stars, with new ones forming up out of primordial gases and gravity. Just like our own solar system. The Unified Field Theory. The Earth itself, always changing and tectonically shifting.... Our sun, on it's way out some day....

Next: you ask "how cynical are you"... Just where does cynicism come into the argument about abiogenesis? Your argument that it is too improbable (to you anyhow...) is weak, superficial and unresolved. The beauty and organization of the world around us is but a human perception, but also, it's clearly the simple and logical result of relentless material evolution, (not Evolution spelled with a capital "E", just an ongoing process...) by simple trial and error of all those billions of occuring test mutations and options. You know; the ones we can now easily see and measure, that we know are happening. As in: undeniable.

Many of those mutations have failed en-route to what we now see literally hundreds of millions of years into this Earthly experiment, but this is like a painting that can be worked on again and again. And why would it do that, you ask? Because good ideas that work are passed on via the DNA system is why. and the bad ones, obviously, fail. It's so frickin' logical, I'm amazed at your stubborn reticence, but then again, I also understand the terror of the truth that so often characterizes the typical denialist theist's position.

It represents your particular determined scientific illiteracy and lack of interest in correcting that illiteracy, doesn't it? As in, why aren't you honestly trying to understand the other rational point of view by at least reading a basic science text, or taking an intro biology course? After all, I took the time to question the bible and theology. Took me about 10 years of soul-searching and questioning, but eventually the truth emerged, and it's been enlightening ever since!

I'd suggest to you why you have likely not investigated these ideas, but it would probably be quite insulting. I will say, honestly, you should do yourself a real personal favor and don't just let the folks over at AiG or the Creation Institute do your thinking and speaking for you. Try questioning them some time, because all that they spout is just so much illiterate and error-filled tripe, provably and demonstrably.

As for me and every single one of my scientist/engineer/philosopher atheist friends, we all came from a devout religious background. And you? By honest comparison, did you come from a strong scientific background? Do you truly understand what it is you so ardently criticize? Beyond claiming we're just cynical and carrying a false faith? How insulting.

Do try to be, as FOX says, "Fair and Balanced:", OK? For a change?

Quote:
Like I said, I don't hate or dislike them, but the militant ones like the New Atheists act just like the religious fanatics they dislike. Also, why do they gather in groups and at meetings? So, you guys get together because of your shared lack of belief? Is that really a good reason to gather? You could have nothing in common besides that.
Q: what meetings? the New Atheists of america? Where? When? I wanna go! (I joke; there's no need!). You mean like millions of Christians and Muslims do every day? I'm looking for a bunch of atheists stopping everything @ 4:00p, dropping to their knees and bowing to The Atheist god/icon. Hmmmm... nope; can't find 'em ANYWHERE! Lemme know where and when you've seen this, would you please?

(NOTE: yeah; they do come out when some ardent Christian demonstrators hold some extroverted prayer meeting in a public place, filling the air with chants and demagogery, and flags and placards, yowling at those who understand and support The US Constitution.)

Quote:
To answer you, I think our creator has always existed in some form as some kind of universal life force outside the known realms of the universe. I'm not a creationist either, I do believe Darwinian evolution occurred and that the earth is about 4.5 billion years old, but obviously it doesn't account for the origins of life on earth/the universe. Why can't there be both intelligent design and evolution? Maybe the mechanism of evolution was intelligently designed.
\\

OH. I see. You believe in a totally ultra-powerful, but inexplicable and totally improbable supernatural force-being who just conveniently POOFED it all into instant existence. And who now absolutely refuses to show himself in this age of good digital cameras and video cams. Good idea! Quite believable, unlike the now-predictable outcomes of science, which you just dismiss. Well, please also note that science always allows you and I to reproduce any of it's multi-million experimental results whenever you'd like to. Have you done any of that confirming stuff yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Says Who? View Post
Its not just "Christians" that are against homosexual marriage.
What's that got to do with anything, BTW? The origins of the universe according to rampant anti-Gays?

What nonsense!

Last edited by rifleman; 08-06-2011 at 07:01 PM..

Old 08-07-2011, 03:39 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
That's another good post from Rifleman.

It's rather amusing because A BF 5000 apparently accepts evolution, except where there is still room to postulate an intent behind it. I don't think that even Rifleman would say that was impossible but he and I would argue that it is equally not impossible that abiogenesis could have begun from the primordial soup that Theists get so sneery about.

I can't think why since, if they accept the evidence for evolution, they must accept that our ancestry is traceable back to sea -floor worms.

What Rifleman said here is a good point. If a mind was behind abiogenesis - poof. Precambrian graptolites and sea - worms produced out of nothing - why? Why was it necessary to have the whole business of evolutionary development and a 1st extinction so as to let the dinosaurs dominate and then a 2nd extinction so as to let mammals dominate? What an odd way of getting eventually to the rather shambolic humans who were really not very well designed to walk upright. And then apparently another extinction (Ice age) so as to let the present species of human dominate.

The fact is that it all looks like it happened though chance, yes it does. It doesn't really look planned when you consider it objectively rather than standing with the winning ticket in your hand you ask 'Why me? It had to be more than chance.'

Old 10-25-2013, 04:37 PM

1 posts, read 663 times
Ha ha, this forum came up when I typed: Does any one else find it really annoying when someone says that they believe in god? I thought my shed was a pretty big project, but the universe and beyond? That would be a grand design indeed and anything that designed it would have to be pretty huge..even if it only had to attend to the mithering of a few billion ape like animals with delusions of grandeur that had had the incredible luck to have thrived for a short while on a micro miniscule part of it. I am aware of life forms much tinier than I, but I don't lose any sleep if it is teeming over something that I placed in the sterilizer; they might pray to me but I am so huge in comparison that I am of course oblivious. Also anything that requires worshiping has to be dubious, in my view: why would anything all powerful give a rat's arse whether or not it was believed in; obviously a human construct suited to megalomaniacs, the insecure celeb and the odd daft king who might have a use for hoards of sycophants to help him get what he wanted from another daft king - originally there were a lot of other gods, I suppose. Anyway, nobody respects the sycophantic. If ever I hear that a leader is religious I get nervous knowing that he might believe that the scribbled fancies of some primitive desert dwellers should influence his modern dilemmas. When a Jehovah's witness, for example, comes to me and says that it is so because it is written in the bible..well, I just think I've landed on planet moron! I appreciate that hundreds of years ago the bible did not have much competition and churches must have looked awesome ( by design - religion as a product had advantages in that the smarts could get money for nothing) but today I've got books bursting from every niche that are far more interesting. Look around at the type of people who think they have first dibs on heaven - the freaking Taliban! Religion is in love with death: my mother, a devout catholic, had my healthy cat put to sleep because it had worms - she thought it would be creaming happier!

Old 10-25-2013, 05:46 PM

6,512 posts, read 7,549,515 times
Quote:
Well, the militant ones at least anyway.What really irritates me about these atheists is how easily they are led by so called science.

How much faith do you have to have to believe in spontaneous generation and that uni-cellular organisms have always existed?

Think about it, how cynical are you to look at the perfection of this environment and say it all started as a pool of super heated ooze or primordial soup completely unguided via naturalistic means. Then they take all these unproven theories like Abiogenesis and Spontaneous Generation and treat them as if they're fact.

The real problem with these people is that the vast majority have never taken the time to read the bible , let alone get a Strong's concordance and go back to the original Hebrew , Greek and Aramaic manuscripts. They take a couple of verses from the bible and twist it to their line of thought, without following the subject and object of the chapter to make an uninformed skewed view to degrade individuals' beliefs. Don't get me wrong, I still don't hate or dislike Atheists, I have a very close friend who's an Atheist, and I love her a lot like a sister. I'm not a Christian either in case you're wondering. I'm a Deist. I think something created all this, who or what though I have no idea. Something can't come from nothing though.
Is this satire?

Old 10-25-2013, 11:58 PM

5,357 posts, read 5,134,067 times
Living around fundamental christians, I can tell you that fundies irritate me to no end some times. It's easy to want to lash out and go anal on these people, but the best thing to do is ask them questions and let them do the contradicting themselves. Also, being an example of a good non-Christian helps too. Lashing out just irritates them to no end.

Old 10-26-2013, 06:29 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,033,127 times
Quote:

Then you are Agnostic...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality