Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do Atheists annoy you?
Yes 16 8.79%
No 118 64.84%
Sometimes 6 3.30%
Just the militant, aggressive Atheists 42 23.08%
Voters: 182. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 03:59 PM

15 posts, read 27,495 times

Advertisements

Well, the militant ones at least anyway.What really irritates me about these atheists is how easily they are led by so called science.

How much faith do you have to have to believe in spontaneous generation and that uni-cellular organisms have always existed?

Think about it, how cynical are you to look at the perfection of this environment and say it all started as a pool of super heated ooze or primordial soup completely unguided via naturalistic means. Then they take all these unproven theories like Abiogenesis and Spontaneous Generation and treat them as if they're fact.

The real problem with these people is that the vast majority have never taken the time to read the bible , let alone get a Strong's concordance and go back to the original Hebrew , Greek and Aramaic manuscripts. They take a couple of verses from the bible and twist it to their line of thought, without following the subject and object of the chapter to make an uninformed skewed view to degrade individuals' beliefs. Don't get me wrong, I still don't hate or dislike Atheists, I have a very close friend who's an Atheist, and I love her a lot like a sister. I'm not a Christian either in case you're wondering. I'm a Deist. I think something created all this, who or what though I have no idea. Something can't come from nothing though.

Last edited by abf5000; 07-22-2011 at 05:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2011, 04:06 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,861,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abf5000 View Post
I think something created all this, who or what though I have no idea. Something can't come from nothing though.
Fair enough. So if you think "something can't come from nothing", the creator that you think created everything must have been created right?

Old 07-22-2011, 04:07 PM

Like I said, I don't hate or dislike them, but the militant ones like the New Atheists act just like the religious fanatics they dislike. Also, why do they gather in groups and at meetings? So, you guys get together because of your shared lack of belief? Is that really a good reason to gather? You could have nothing in common besides that.

Old 07-22-2011, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius
Fair enough. So if you think "something can't come from nothing", the creator that you think created everything must have been created right?
To answer you, I think our creator has always existed in some form as some kind of universal life force outside the known realms of the universe. I'm not a creationist either, I do believe Darwinian evolution occurred and that the earth is about 4.5 billion years old, but obviously it doesn't account for the origins of life on earth/the universe. Why can't there be both intelligent design and evolution? Maybe the mechanism of evolution was intelligently designed.

Old 07-22-2011, 04:16 PM

2,256 posts, read 6,957,974 times
Quote:
Like I said, I don't hate or dislike them, but the militant ones like the New Atheists act just like the religious fanatics they dislike. Also, why do they gather in groups and at meetings? So, you guys get together because of your shared lack of belief? Is that really a good reason to gather? You could have nothing in common besides that.
I personally don't "advertise" I'm an atheist. I'm one of the fortunate ones who within my family we have Christian, Buddhist, and atheist/agnostics throughout and everyone gets along perfectly. Why? Because no one feels the need to impose on the other when it comes to their belief system.

I guess you'd have to ask a militant atheist. But it won't go anywhere. I already know they'll ask you why do you gather in groups in buildings on land free of property taxes...isn't that discriminatory? Or that you have nothing in common besides believing in a bunch of random books written by man (or woman??? cuz we know how dominant man is in Christianity and Islam)

Old 07-22-2011, 04:23 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,561,880 times
I deal with atheists many places, in life and online, and many/most of them are perfectly fine. Look at France. According to the Eurobarometer 33% of them do not believe in "Any sort of God or life force." However according to Pew Research Center (not a religious group, Pew was the surname of the founder) 84% of the French have favorable views of Christians. That would mean a majority of French atheists do too. My experience with a French atheists he was quite respectful and pleasant.

Religion in Europe - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Muslim-Western Tensions Persist | Pew Global Attitudes Project

The nature of this forum focuses in on the differences atheists and Christians have with each other. That heats things up a bit. On top of that many of the atheists here aren't merely atheist. They are anti-theists. Unlike many atheists they mostly don't see religion in pragmatic or utilitarian terms or even as a personal choice/eccentricity. A religion freely chosen, that lead the convert to do more good than ill in the world, would still be erroneous and to be discouraged. Theism, even if it's philosophical and not attached to religion, is still a lie and lies must be combated.

In a way I find that attractive. Rather than being a bunch of relativists or the like they've stuck with that old, even Catholic principle, of their being an actual Truth and other things being deficient no matter how pleasant they may seem. That sense of "rightness" is vaguely seductive, IMO, as well as annoying.

Old 07-22-2011, 04:23 PM

5,298 posts, read 4,592,697 times
I think some Atheist are interesting, and I agree some are militant. We have " Theoretical Atheism"- Atheism of the mind, and " Practical Atheism"- living as though God does not exist. But in my view, Atheism is a valid stance of unbelief that God himself wanted in the populace. And in many areas its growing;

Germany- 25%
Luxemburg- 22%
Hungary- 19%
Spain-18%
Belgium- 27%
France- 33%
UK-20%
Czech Republic- 30%.

One of the most needed componants of Gods plan of Salvation, is Atheist, or unbelief, without which, there would be no plan. So Atheism is, in a sense, valid proof of God.

Peace.

Old 07-22-2011, 04:27 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,861,012 times
Quote:
To answer you, I think our creator has always existed in some form as some kind of universal life force outside the known realms of the universe.
Why can't the universe always have existed in some form?

Quote:
I'm not a creationist either,
Yes you are. You have made several references to 'creator' in your thread.

Old 07-22-2011, 04:29 PM

Quote:
I personally don't "advertise" I'm an atheist. I'm one of the fortunate ones who within my family we have Christian, Buddhist, and atheist/agnostics throughout and everyone gets along perfectly. Why? Because no one feels the need to impose on the other when it comes to their belief system.

I guess you'd have to ask a militant atheist. But it won't go anywhere. I already know they'll ask you why do you gather in groups in buildings on land free of property taxes...isn't that discriminatory? Or that you have nothing in common besides believing in a bunch of random books written by man (or woman??? cuz we know how dominant man is in Christianity and Islam)
I'm a Deist, not a Christian. Like I said, why can't there be both evolution and intelligent design? Unlike a lot of Atheists, I respect the good Christianity and religion has done for society and give it credit for it. I don't bash religious people either. Also, I don't know any militant atheists, so I can't ask one.

Old 07-22-2011, 04:31 PM

4,529 posts, read 5,138,902 times
Quote:
To answer you, I think our creator has always existed in some form as some kind of universal life force outside the known realms of the universe. I'm not a creationist either, I do believe Darwinian evolution occurred and that the earth is billions of years old, but obviously it doesn't account for the origins of life on earth/the universe. Why can't there be both intelligent design and evolution? Maybe the mechanism of evolution was intelligently designed.
If this creator of yours can be eternal then why can't the universe? Maybe the current universe came out of the death of a prior one. And so on forever and ever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality