Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2011, 12:10 PM

2 posts, read 8,896 times

Advertisements

The bible says rabbits chew their cud. I can understand that the ancient Hebrews may have throught that they did but I expect the God who created them to know better. Fundamentalits like to say that verse is taken out of context or their is an error in the translation. The burden of proof is on them. They say their book is error free and yet here is a clear example of one of the many errors in the bible. Please dont tell me Satan has blinded me. If thats the most intelligent thing you can come up with, it only proves you cant defend your holy book.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2011, 12:16 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,871,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by of_the _flesh View Post
Fundamentalits like to say that verse is taken out of context or their is an error in the translation.
Stick around. You'll find that anything that doesn't make sense in their Bible will be either a 'mistranslation' or 'taken out of context.'

Old 09-03-2011, 12:19 PM

2 posts, read 8,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Stick around. You'll find that anything that doesn't make sense in their Bible will be either a 'mistranslation' or 'taken out of context.'

Believe me, I know and whats funny is they can never tell you what the context is.

Old 09-04-2011, 10:07 AM

2,854 posts, read 2,055,738 times
rabbit is a mistranslation.
immediately before that verse it was talking about camels so it is probably a type of camel.
maybe a dromedary.

Old 09-04-2011, 10:59 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,871,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by granpa View Post
What a surprise!

Old 09-04-2011, 11:08 AM

2,854 posts, read 2,055,738 times
Blue Letter Bible - Lexicon

אַרְנֶבֶת

Of uncertain derivation

1) hare
a) probably an extinct animal because no known hare chews its cud, exact meaning is unknown, and best left untranslated as "arnebeth"

this word is used in only 2 verses neither of which given any clue to its meaning.

Lev 11:6
Deu 14:7

this was written thousands of years ago and the bible is full of obscure words so there is no reason to be surprised that it is unclear

but it is clear that you people have an anti-bible agenda here so I will not try to argue with you.
if I had read the op and the rest of the thread completely first then I wouldnt have responded at all in the first place

Old 09-04-2011, 01:01 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,835,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by of_the _flesh View Post
The bible says rabbits chew their cud. I can understand that the ancient Hebrews may have throught that they did but I expect the God who created them to know better. Fundamentalits like to say that verse is taken out of context or their is an error in the translation. The burden of proof is on them. They say their book is error free and yet here is a clear example of one of the many errors in the bible. Please dont tell me Satan has blinded me. If thats the most intelligent thing you can come up with, it only proves you cant defend your holy book.
Ruminants regurgitate their foot and chew it again; rabbits eat their poop and send it through again. Bible translators mix and match to make it all fit in their new version.

It's all the same general concept.

Old 09-04-2011, 01:33 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,074,555 times
Interestingly enough, rabbits eat grass, so as an ignorant ancient jew i would have assumed they did it the same way cows did.

Old 09-04-2011, 04:47 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,118,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by granpa View Post
immediately before that verse it was talking about camels so it is probably a type of camel.
maybe a dromedary.

It could be this.
But you are probably right, it was another mistake in the bible.

Aeroman

Old 09-04-2011, 07:20 PM

33,567 posts, read 37,175,863 times
Perhaps it's typo in the bible...Maybe they meant to say "rabbits eat their crud".

The rabbit separates fibrous material from more digestible material; the fibrous material is passed as feces, while the more nutritious material is encased in a mucous lining as a cecotrope. Cecotropes, sometimes called "night feces", are high in minerals, vitamins and proteins that are necessary to the rabbit's health. Rabbits eat these to meet their nutritional requirements.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality