Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2011, 07:52 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,081,696 times

Advertisements

I believe happiness is avoiding that which causes us to be unhappy. I believe all creatures are born happy and start life happy, but through experience we tend to learn unhappiness. Often it is the very things we think bring happiness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2011, 08:05 PM

5,298 posts, read 4,592,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
I believe happiness is avoiding that which causes us to be unhappy. I believe all creatures are born happy and start life happy, but through experience we tend to learn unhappiness. Often it is the very things we think bring happiness.

Interesting post, and I agree with you. I believe happiness is a level of joyful contentment that cannot be reduced by anything " Outside of you." Its defintely an " Inner energy that is positive and finds delight - even in depression."

Old 08-27-2011, 08:36 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,284,780 times
I believe happiness is something always available..yet we humans seem to set up a lot of "requirements" before we can enjoy it......I believe it is something within all of us...and we can draw on that whenever we want.....

Old 08-27-2011, 09:13 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,733,455 times
happiness is a big bonfire on the beach with two or three babes and a cooler full of beer and rum.. and a few ribeyes and spare ribs on the grill..

Old 08-27-2011, 11:02 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,189,686 times
Babies aren't born happy. They don't like the change in their curcumstances when thrust out into the world. I can't say that I blame them.

Old 08-28-2011, 02:05 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,731,784 times
As I get towards the part of my life where I will suddenly find myself sitting with C34 under a palm tree:

'Looks like the muslims were right.'

'Enjoying your raisins?'

I can say that happiness is feeling that you did something worthwhile with your life.

Old 08-28-2011, 03:46 AM

2,332 posts, read 2,840,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post

I can say that happiness is feeling that you did something worthwhile with your life.
No. I don't think so. Happiness is realizing that sharing was often worthier when they bribed you first to Do it for them. And then you kept the faith for the review that they meant to agree with your views of true sharing in your heart.

Old 08-28-2011, 09:03 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,607,468 times
Happiness is a Warm Gun

--Beatles

Old 08-28-2011, 05:48 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,561,880 times
I think a part of me sees "happiness" as a bit less than many folks do, to me it at times seems kind of an "animal" thing. Meaning you can become happy by fairly tangible physical/body means. (Sex, excitation caused by other physical events, drugs, etc)

Like many with my condition I have what's called a "naturally up" personality, which on two occasions veered into mania. This means I tend to be happy a fair amount of the time. I take an anti-depressant for its calming properties, so I can sleep, not because I've ever had depression. Anyway because of that happiness is something I feel blessed with, in one way, and in another I don't think it means as much to me. There have been rare experiences where I felt perfectly happy, but also felt that my life was hopeless and disappointing. Actually to an extent right now I'd say I'm a happy person who feels his life is in some ways useless and disappointing, but maybe not hopeless. (Although I've not had the "I'm fairly happy, but still I'm so screwed-up I should probably plan my suicide so as to end my failure of a life" moments in years. Those really confused people, me included albeit to a lesser extent. Feeling happy is not necessarily the same as feeling content or satisfied, at least not for me.)

As for babies I would think babies have other emotions than happiness. Also I'm not a Muslim so I don't believe in the idea we're born good/innocent and that mankind is quite that wonderful.

Old 08-28-2011, 05:59 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,081,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
I think a part of me sees "happiness" as a bit less than many folks do, to me it at times seems kind of an "animal" thing. Meaning you can become happy by fairly tangible physical/body means. (Sex, excitation caused by other physical events, drugs, etc)

Like many with my condition I have what's called a "naturally up" personality, which on two occasions veered into mania. This means I tend to be happy a fair amount of the time. I take an anti-depressant for its calming properties, so I can sleep, not because I've ever had depression. Anyway because of that happiness is something I feel blessed with, in one way, and in another I don't think it means as much to me. There have been rare experiences where I felt perfectly happy, but also felt that my life was hopeless and disappointing. Actually to an extent right now I'd say I'm a happy person who feels his life is in some ways useless and disappointing, but maybe not hopeless. (Although I've not had the "I'm fairly happy, but still I'm so screwed-up I should probably plan my suicide so as to end my failure of a life" moments in years. Those really confused people, me included albeit to a lesser extent. Feeling happy is not necessarily the same as feeling content or satisfied, at least not for me.)

As for babies I would think babies have other emotions than happiness. Also I'm not a Muslim so I don't believe in the idea we're born good/innocent and that mankind is quite that wonderful.
I can relate to that
Quote:
Feeling happy is not necessarily the same as feeling content or satisfied, at least not for me.

My happiest year was the year I spent in a body cast with nearly every bone in my body shattered. The pain for most to that year was excruciating and the inability to move was frustrating. Yet, it was also a time of great calmness, no worries, free from life's temptations and wants. It was truly a happy year.

By paradox the saddest and most depressing year was when I was the most successful and had reached the apex of my carrier. I lacked for nothing, had more than I deserved. But I was not happy. I did not find happiness again until I had lost everything and started over with nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality