Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 05:07 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,932,345 times

Advertisements

Some atheists on this forum have advanced the idea that a person can be "spiritual" AND atheist . . .The word "spiritual" actually has divine connotations - I have posted definitions in the past. They are easily found online.

I just found this morsel which I think is interesting:

"Both the spiritist and animist traditions work with the premise that all persons have a 'soul' or a 'being" which is, in a sense, immortal and which 'inhabits' the body during a lifetime. When a person dies and the physical form has completed its cycle on Earth, the being lives on on some other plane of existence which we loosely call the 'astral' plane. The being goes on to tale other physical forms and to live other lives, entering a new body at birth each time it reincarnates." From: "The Psychic Healing Book," Wallace & Henkin.

Last edited by Miss Blue; 11-11-2011 at 05:52 PM.. Reason: fixed the spelling as you requested
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2011, 05:25 PM

3,423 posts, read 3,216,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
Some atheists on this forum have advanced the idea that a person can be "spiritual" AND atheist . . .The word "spiritual" actually has divine connotations - I have posted definitions in the past. They are easily found online.

"Both the spiritist and animist traditions work with the premise that all persons have a 'soul' or a 'being" which is, in a sense, immortal and which 'inhabits' the body during a lifetime. When a person dies and the physical form has completed its cycle on Earth, the being lives on on some other plane of existence which we loosely call the 'astral' plane. The being goes on to tale other physical forms and to live other lives, entering a new body at birth each time it reincarnates." From: "The Psychic Healing Book," Wallace & Henkin.
I believe most atheists think of the notion of the spiritual as the sense of the profound, such as what one experiences upon climbing to the top of a mountain. Such a sense of wonder and awe does not require a religious sense of the soul or resorting to god(s). It is simply a human emotional response to unusual experiences.

Old 11-10-2011, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orogenicman View Post
I believe most atheists think of the notion of the spiritual as the sense of the profound, such as what one experiences upon climbing to the top of a mountain. Such a sense of wonder and awe does not require a religious sense of the soul or resorting to god(s). It is simply a human emotional response to unusual experiences.
I understand that and it makes perfect sense. What does not make sense is attaching the specific term "spiritual" to that felt sense. It is the need to co-opt the term that I think produces confusion and it is not necessary - they don't gain anything from using the term.

Old 11-10-2011, 07:28 PM

2,472 posts, read 3,199,720 times
Quote:

You can't just use your own definition of such a widely vague term and then use that against atheists (and how do you expect us to take you seriously when you can't even spell "Atheist"?). And what the "divine" even mean? That is another vague term. Just because there are unexplainable feelings doesn't mean you can just make up an answer. This all goes back to evidence, you need it. Like for that bogus astral plane nonsense, for example.

There are clearly multiple definitions. I'm not spiritual, but I understand it from an atheists' perspective as something "profound" like the first poster stated.

Old 11-10-2011, 07:30 PM

2,472 posts, read 3,199,720 times
Quote:
I understand that and it makes perfect sense. What does not make sense is attaching the specific term "spiritual" to that felt sense. It is the need to co-opt the term that I think produces confusion and it is not necessary - they don't gain anything from using the term.
It's a word, just like "beautiful", and I'll use such vague terms however I please.

Old 11-10-2011, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganusn View Post
It's a word, just like "beautiful", and I'll use such vague terms however I please.
Ha ha! Just as I thought: It's all about ego . . . kind of reactive, no?

Old 11-10-2011, 07:44 PM

Quote:
You can't just use your own definition of such a widely vague term and then use that against atheists (and how do you expect us to take you seriously when you can't even spell "Atheist"?). And what the "divine" even mean? That is another vague term. Just because there are unexplainable feelings doesn't mean you can just make up an answer. This all goes back to evidence, you need it. Like for that bogus astral plane nonsense, for example.

There are clearly multiple definitions. I'm not spiritual, but I understand it from an atheists' perspective as something "profound" like the first poster stated.
The words "divine" and "spiritual" have specific meanings. They are not debatable. Easily found in dictionaries online. The reason words have definitions is so people can agree on meaning. You can't just make up meaning for words - they have specific meanings.

Old 11-10-2011, 07:50 PM

2,505 posts, read 2,328,034 times
Quote:
Didn't you just tell imcurious they couldn't do just that? The term spirit is actually a theological term that derives from ancient times. In case you aren't aware, these ancient societies coined the term based on their thesit religion. Many cultured believed a person could be visitied by the spirit of their god or even have their spirit taken by their god.

And please, refrain from the cheesy and cheap tactics that most do on here. Calling out someone's grammatical errors to degrade their posts is not only childish, but in debate I gains you no ground.

Old 11-10-2011, 08:01 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,070,009 times
Damn, I wish I had written this:
Secular spirituality emphasizes humanistic qualities such as love, compassion, patience, tolerance, forgiveness, contentment, responsibility, harmony, and a concern for others[8]:22, aspects of life and human experience which go beyond a purely materialist view of the world, without necessarily accepting belief in a supernatural reality or divine being. Spiritual practices such as mindfulness and meditation can be experienced as beneficial or even necessary for human fulfillment without any supernatural interpretation or explanation. Spirituality in this context may be a matter of nurturing thoughts, emotions, words and actions that are in harmony with a belief that everything in the universe is mutually dependent; this stance has much in common with some versions of Buddhist spirituality. A modern secular definition: "Spirituality exists wherever we struggle with the issues of how our lives fit into the greater scheme of things. This is true when our questions never give way to specific answers or give rise to specific practices such as prayer or meditation. we encounter spiritual issues every time we wonder where the universe comes from, why we are here, or what happens when we die. We also become spiritual when we become moved by values such as beauty, love, or creativity that seem to reveal a meaning or power beyond our visible world. An idea or practice is "spiritual" when it reveals our personal desire to establish a felt-relationship with the deepest meanings or powers governing life." - Robert C. Fuller
Spirituality - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-10-2011, 08:16 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,903,846 times
Quote:

Oh you......

yet another worthless commentary over the semantics of a word....... and yet another "nanny nanny boo boo" for you over the atheists.

you've earned your cookie for the day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality