Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2011, 11:38 AM

307 posts, read 269,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
I can't say for sure at this point whether the story of Christ is myth or parable or just a dang good story of a dang good man that once lived.
I can't say for sure, either, but I can certainly go where I feel that the evidence points, which is to it having happened.

Quote:
My thing is why can't we experience God in our lifetime, why the special people of 2000 years ago?
I believe we can experience God in our lifetime, though just not the same way. We may not ever see a physically resurrected Jesus standing in front of us as the apostles did, but that's not the only way to experience God, IMO.

Quote:
I want proof, I want it now and I won't accept any less. That's not too much to ask imo.
I'm not sure what you mean by not accepting anything less than proof. Do you mean that if you were, let's say, 95% convinced that Jesus was for real, you wouldn't believe in Him because it wasn't 100%? How does one make themselves not believe in something that they're 95% convinced is true? Now, maybe you're nowhere near 95% convinced, either. Maybe you're, say, only 20% convinced, and then I can fully understand why you don't believe it to be true. But I think holding out for 100% proof and not accepting anything less is a bit unreasonable. If the preponderance of the evidence convinces me that something is true, I'm going to believe it's true. I'm not able to do otherwise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2011, 11:45 AM

6,205 posts, read 7,456,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Well there certianly ain't no virtue in the bible, unless hatred, bigotry, intolerance, and mass murder are a virtue you embrace........ Oh wait...... you do.

Does the 'deluxe' version have graphic pictures of many of the atrocities directed by the lead character. Killing babies with swords, etc. Foldouts perhaps
Is that all you have learned from the Bible? Or you skipped school that day?!

Old 10-23-2011, 12:14 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,850,754 times
Good luck on your journey Ilene. As a life-long atheist I've never been in your position but I have no doubt that your decision was hard...and brave. Kudos to you.

Free at last
Free at last.

Last edited by Rafius; 10-23-2011 at 01:39 PM..

Old 10-23-2011, 12:45 PM

53 posts, read 53,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingDavid8 View Post
I can't say for sure, either, but I can certainly go where I feel that the evidence points, which is to it having happened.
What evidence is that? None of the gospels constitute eyewitness testimony. All of them were written decades (some of them centuries) after the event, and all of the gospels conflict in material ways, even notwithstanding the council's attempt to pick and choose the right storybooks centuries later.

Old 10-23-2011, 01:34 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,152,432 times
Quote:
Yeah this is all new to me so like I said before, I think I believe in a God/Creator that is love and light but that's as far as it goes.
Why do you need to believe that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
Yes, this is a stereotype of atheism that is really not justified. Many theists argue that atheism is cold, devoid of meaning, not in awe of nature, no morals, etc.
I don't see how. Perhaps because people confuse religiosity with spirituality. I'm an atheist and I suppose if I was an astronomer or astrophysicist, I might find spirituality in the universe, but I'm not a physicist and find it in the woods and seas instead.

Quote:
To be honest, before I really studied atheism I used to believe this too.
I've never studied "atheism" and don't see how you could. I merely embarked on a quest for the truth, which required extensive research, reading and investigating. None of the reading I did involved reading what other atheists wrote. All of it was ancient texts and biblical criticism from peer-reviewed professional journals.

Quote:
There is no basis at all to claim that atheists are any less moral than theists, looking at predominantly atheist societies in Western Europe there is a lower crime rate, less drug use, less teen pregnancies, etc. than in the much more religious USA.
That's for sure.

One of the reasons I reject god-things is because I am morally superior to any god that has been proffered for worship thus far.

Quote:
Personally, the main thing that keeps me from moving from Christianity to Agnosticism is that I find the evidence for the resurrection of Jesus to be too compelling. Either it happened, the earliest Christians knowingly lied, or they falsely believed it to be true. Each is, in a way, an extraordinary claim, considering that the earliest Christians were, by all evidence, telling people about this stuff pretty quickly and the Gospels were written in the same century as the events, by people no more than one or two removed from actual witnesses, if not witnesses themselves. But of the three ideas, the only one that has a lick of evidence for it is the first, that it happened. If it had just been one or two people claiming Jesus was resurrected, then I could perhaps buy that they were lying or mistaken. But there were clearly a lot of people, very close to the events, that believed it so strongly that they were willing to face persecution for their beliefs. I have yet to hear a compelling argument for the idea that they were lying or mistaken. And even if I heard a compelling argument, I'd still like to see some evidence for that argument. All I know is that the argument I buy is not only compelling, but all of the available evidence favors it.
Early Christianity was a liberation theology. You with your leprosy or gimp leg or as a slave working in the fields or your really horrid lot in life could believe and then your horrid lot in life would be replaced by something beautiful and you get to walk with Jesus in the Kingdom of Heaven.

That's a very powerful theology, so sure, they'd be willing to suffer persecution since the end justifies the means.

In the same way, many view Islam as a liberation theology. You wouldn't, but someone, say someone in Africa who had their arms hacked off by a machete would easily buy into it. Why do you think Sunni Muslims (but not Shi'a Muslims) are willing to strap bombs to themselves and blow themselves up?

You would never buy into that, but then you live in the materialistic Western World, right? Your world view would have a lot to do with your acceptance of a religion.

There were no forced mass conversions to Islam in the Balkans. The Romanians didn't convert, and neither did the Serbs, or Greeks, or Croats or Slovenes or Bulgarians, but the Bosnians did.

Why? Why was there a mass conversion to Islam by the Bosnians only, and nowhere else?

The Catholic Church did a really poor job of teaching the tenets, and so Catholicism never really took hold and Eastern Orthodoxy was punishable by death under Catholic rule, so when the Bogomils come rolling through the area, the Bosnians saw Bogomilism as a liberation theology, but then the Bogomils were wiped out by the Catholics, and then the Ottomans came through, and the Bosnians saw that as a liberation theology, and then you had political, economic and social stability under Ottoman rule so it stuck.

That's why the Bosnians converted en masse, but no one else did (except for one group in Albania). You had political, economic and social stability in Romania, Bulgaria, the Banat, the Voivodina, Serbia, Croatia and elsewhere.

In Albania, you had two distinct cultures, one in the lowland plains and the other up in the mountains, and one culture converted en masse to Islam and the other did not, for nearly the same reasons the Bosnians converted.

Anyway, liberation theology has a very powerful effect where certain political, economic and social conditions exist.

Quote:
What I was trying to say is that I was trying to still follow the Bible, since I thought that was what I was supposed to do, and that UR is indeed completely biblical in the sense that the belief can be backed up with scripture.
Why do you need to follow the Bible?

Aren't you human? Don't you have a brain? Why can't you use logic and reason? You know in your heart what is right, and what is wrong, and you can see through the consequences of any action you might take to its resulting end, and you know if that end will cause harm to you or others, whether that harm is physical, emotional or both.

And if such actions would cause harm to you or others, then you don't do them. You don't need a Bible or religion to tell you that.

Quote:
I see no problem with questioning it, but I'd say the Jesus story stands up to questioning better than, say, Noah's Ark does. The Jesus story was written by people quite close to the events, certainly within the same century, who clearly believed it really happened, and I've seen no evidence suggesting it didn't happen. Noah's Ark was written centuries after it supposedly happened by people many generations removed from the supposed event, and I think it's quite likely that it was intended by its author to be a parable. And we have strong evidence that a flood of the level the story describes did not happen at that time in history.
That's superficial.

I have a unique perspective, mostly because of my experience as a detective sergeant and private investigator.

I see a system of power, controlled by the Pharisees with influence from the Sadducees. I see marginalized groups, like the Essene Sect who are marginalized because their views and beliefs are different.

I see a hoax perpetrated. A plan by the Essene Sect to usurp and wrest control of power from the Pharisees and Sadducees. An hero will be "sacrificed" and come back to life, and people will abandon the Pharisees and Sadducees to join the Essene Sect.

Jesus and Judas were members of the Essene Sect, that's why Jesus was able to "prophesize" his own "death" because he knew the plan.

Jesus goes to the Temple, over-turns the tables of the money-changers and then goes to the garden and waits to be arrested. Judas, is supposed to turn in Jesus. That was part of the plan. Crucifixion is not a death sentence. We know that from reading texts and actual documents of the period. Dozens of people were crucified more than once for crimes committed, and a handful crucified more than two times. We also know you could be sentenced to crucifixion from sunrise to midday, midday to sunset, sunrise to sunset, sunrise to sunrise and so on.

We know that opium grows abundantly in the region and that it was used as a medicine for 7,000 years prior to the birth of Jesus. We know that opium depresses the central nervous system, and slows respiration and heart-rate.

We also know that opium is an alkaloid, and that alkaloids are bitter and that Jesus was given "bitter water" on a sponge while on the cross. I would suggest to you that was opium, and that it made it appear that he was dead, when in fact he was not.

We know they make it a point to let everyone know they did not break his legs. We also know Nightshade grows abundantly in the region, and that the roots of the Nightshade plant were used as a medicine for 7,000 years before the birth of Jesus.

Today we call the concoction made from the roots of the Nightshade plant "atropine." The military uses atropine injectors to combat the effects of nerve agents, because they depress the central nervous system. Atropine is a stimulant.

I would suggest Jesus taken away and given "atropine" to counter the effects of the opium he was given, and then rest for a few days to regain his strength.

And then what does he do? According Luke and Mark he is wandering around Jerusalem in disguise, wearing a kayiefh so that he cannot be recognized and he's spying and eavesdropping on people's conversations. When he discovers they are allies, ie "followers" he reveals himself to them.

He was trying to learn if the "revolution" was a success. It wasn't. It was a failure, so Jesus flees to Damascus where he allegedly "blinds" Saul of Tarsus who has uncovered the hoax and is hot on the trail to hunt the still living not dead Jesus down.

A lot of blatant contradictions in the gospels. One says Jesus and Mary Magdalene embraced, but John quite clearly contradicts that by saying that as Mary went to hug Jesus, he said "Do not touch me for I have not yet ascended."

Jesus doesn't want Mary to touch him because she'll figure out he isn't really dead, and then too, I suspect he was trying to protect her from harm.

Fundamentalists and evangelicals make a big deal about the "post-resurrection appearances" by Jesus. There's a "Bible Book of Lists" that claims he made around 37 such appearances.

But the critical reader will see through that propaganda.

5 of those alleged appearances are before his disciples. So it isn't 37 it's 33. And then 3 were before Mary Magdalene, so it isn't 33 it's 31 and so on and so on until you realize that it is one event described by four people which makes it one event not four separate events, and then four people retelling and event that already took place and so on, until you add it up and find that he only makes about 11 or 12 such appearances.

And before whom does he appear? No one of any consequence. Appearing before your followers is like preaching to the choir.

Why doesn't Jesus appear before Pilate? Or appear before the Pharisees? Or the Sadducees? Or why doesn't he appear before the Elders at the Temple? Or before Legio VI Ferrata or Legio X Fretensis (the 6th Roman Legion and 10th Roman Legion on duty in the area at the time)?

Because he can't: he's not dead.

If Jesus appears before Pilate, Pilate will kill him for real this time. If Jesus appears before the Pharisees or Sadducees, one of their guards will run him through with a spear or sword and kill him for real.

He can't appear at the Temple for the same reason: the mob would drag him out and kill him for real.

And of course he can't appear before the Legions.

Jesus can't stay in the area, because he's not really dead and if someone discovers him, he will be dead for real, and so he flees, heading through Damascus, probably on his way to India.

That's more plausible than the contradicting stories in the gospels.

Ever seen a dead body? I have. Lots. Dead people don't bleed. I find a body in a swimming pool and there's a gun-shot wound to the head. Obviously the person committed suicide and the body fell into the pool, right?

Wrong.

Someone drowned the person and then shot them in the head to make it look like a suicide. How do I know? Because dead people don't bleed.

That would be my first clue that something was amiss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post
Is that all you have learned from the Bible? Or you skipped school that day?!

I learned not to laugh at or make sport of bald men, because god will send a group of bears to maul and eat me.

Old 10-23-2011, 01:37 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,407,878 times
Quote:
Sorry but I disagree, seeing and believing are essential to the most ardent of skeptics. And that's what I have become. An ardent skeptic. Please provide a way for me to experience what you obviously have to have to have that kind of faith. It has nothing to do with lifestyle, I'm as poor as they come. So you're saying prosperity spawns faith?
Ilene, I went through the exact same thing as you a few months ago. I could no longer accept the "pat" Christian explanations, and I knew I needed proof if I were to continue to believe. That proof never came, and instead, I found a mountain of evidence to the contrary and became an atheist. There is no God. Religion is no more than socially constructed nonsense made up by ignorant, illiterate ancients. It is worthless and detrimental to human advancement.

Old 10-23-2011, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayDick View Post
What evidence is that? None of the gospels constitute eyewitness testimony. All of them were written decades (some of them centuries) after the event, and all of the gospels conflict in material ways, even notwithstanding the council's attempt to pick and choose the right storybooks centuries later.
Eyewitness testimony isn't the only kind of evidence there is. None of the accounts of Julius Caesar's assassination were written by eyewitnesses, but that doesn't mean we'd say there was "no evidence" that Julius Caesar was assassinated. In fact, the account of Caesar's assassination that is considered most accurate is that of the historian Suetonius, which was written around 120 AD, over 160 years after the assassination itself. Plutarch's account was from the late 1st century, over a century after the assassination. Most of what we know about Alexander the Great comes from historians writing four centuries after the fact. The Gospels at least were all composed in the same century of the events they describe. When they were compiled is hardly relevant to whether they are accurate or not.

So, no, we don't say that non-eyewitness testimony for ancient events isn't evidence. Most of the testimony we have for ancient events comes from people who didn't personally witness them.

Old 10-23-2011, 01:49 PM

1,248 posts, read 1,257,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayDick View Post
How about hearing? Smelling? Tasting? Feeling?

Are any of our 5 senses worth a crap when it comes to God? Or must we rely on delusion?

And I think the reason people in desperate circumstances "experience" God is because they want to.

Excellent question!

You are asking a question that pertains to the side of Eve.

Eve represents the physical side of our being while Adam is the spiritual side in us.

Now, how does your question relate?

Well, without one or the other, we couldn't be who we are: individual entities.

So, God crated us to be living souls made up of both the spiritual side and the physical side of us.

Not only did He created us so, He also gave us a place to exercise those rights.

What rights?

Well, being physical, we have all rights to everything physical our hearts desire.

Basically, termed "Lusts" because they are the desires of the flesh.

God knew this so He gave us the spiritual consciousness to help deter some of those lusts that could eventually destroy us.

That is the greatest gift to mankind, the ability to choose as gods of our own desires.

The down side is that if we don't get an education into the things of God to aid and comfort us in our times of trials and tribulations of this life, we become wards of this world and with dire consequences.

Yes, one can have no belief in God and still be able to live a just life, being that one does have some strong moral standards to live by and treat his neighbor as one would like to be treated.

But, let me tell you, as one who has known and had good knowledge of God all my life, life has been a pleasant journey, with full benefits of the spiritual side of me.

Peace of mind, in total surrender in placing my life in Gods hands, has given me a perspective of life that is all positive in spite the many pit-falls.

So, if one can bring the Eve, the physical part of us under good management and not allow it to go into an abusive state, destroying us, we have God to thank, for it is His spirit in us that is our conscience that guides us.

It is our choice, to what degree of place, in our lives we ought to give God.

A well balanced life is understanding both sides and learning via life's experience to choose the best route to take in life.

I have chosen mine and I tell you I am very pleased.

Blessings, AJ

Old 10-23-2011, 01:53 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,708,171 times
Ooohhh, so Ilene's agnostic now. What's next? Rifleman's going mormon

I take such conversions with a pinch of salt. Becoz to me, they are comical.

Something earth shattering needs to happen to change the side you bat on, and it's always something - immense personal crisis, midlife crisis, unemployment, plenty of time in one's hands, state of chaos etc.,

Anyway, I'm cheering for you to go atheist, Ilene. You can call the 1-800 helpline

Old 10-23-2011, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
I have a unique perspective, mostly because of my experience as a detective sergeant and private investigator.

I see a system of power, controlled by the Pharisees with influence from the Sadducees. I see marginalized groups, like the Essene Sect who are marginalized because their views and beliefs are different.

I see a hoax perpetrated. A plan by the Essene Sect to usurp and wrest control of power from the Pharisees and Sadducees. An hero will be "sacrificed" and come back to life, and people will abandon the Pharisees and Sadducees to join the Essene Sect.

Jesus and Judas were members of the Essene Sect, that's why Jesus was able to "prophesize" his own "death" because he knew the plan.

Jesus goes to the Temple, over-turns the tables of the money-changers and then goes to the garden and waits to be arrested. Judas, is supposed to turn in Jesus. That was part of the plan. Crucifixion is not a death sentence. We know that from reading texts and actual documents of the period. Dozens of people were crucified more than once for crimes committed, and a handful crucified more than two times. We also know you could be sentenced to crucifixion from sunrise to midday, midday to sunset, sunrise to sunset, sunrise to sunrise and so on.

We know that opium grows abundantly in the region and that it was used as a medicine for 7,000 years prior to the birth of Jesus. We know that opium depresses the central nervous system, and slows respiration and heart-rate.

We also know that opium is an alkaloid, and that alkaloids are bitter and that Jesus was given "bitter water" on a sponge while on the cross. I would suggest to you that was opium, and that it made it appear that he was dead, when in fact he was not.

We know they make it a point to let everyone know they did not break his legs. We also know Nightshade grows abundantly in the region, and that the roots of the Nightshade plant were used as a medicine for 7,000 years before the birth of Jesus.

Today we call the concoction made from the roots of the Nightshade plant "atropine." The military uses atropine injectors to combat the effects of nerve agents, because they depress the central nervous system. Atropine is a stimulant.

I would suggest Jesus taken away and given "atropine" to counter the effects of the opium he was given, and then rest for a few days to regain his strength.

And then what does he do? According Luke and Mark he is wandering around Jerusalem in disguise, wearing a kayiefh so that he cannot be recognized and he's spying and eavesdropping on people's conversations. When he discovers they are allies, ie "followers" he reveals himself to them.

He was trying to learn if the "revolution" was a success. It wasn't. It was a failure, so Jesus flees to Damascus where he allegedly "blinds" Saul of Tarsus who has uncovered the hoax and is hot on the trail to hunt the still living not dead Jesus down.
I'd give your theory serious consideration if you had any evidence for it. Do you? Or is it all supposition? Are there any ancient sources saying that it all happened this way? If not, why would anyone believe your supposition over what all of the earliest sources say happened?

But I think your theory can be disproven by the fact that Jesus had nails driven through his wrists and ankles, and a spear thrust into his side "bringing a sudden flow of blood and water", suggesting his lung had been punctured. Some crucifixion victims did survive, yes, but most of them were people who were merely TIED to the cross (the more common practice) and certainly weren't stabbed with spears. Even IF Jesus survived having nails driven into those areas and being stabbed with a spear, he would have been in god-awful shape on Sunday morning, hardly walking all over the place and convincing His followers that he's fully healed from all that happened to him. Can you imagine walking around three days after having nails driven through your ankles?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality