Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 10:21 AM

4,612 posts, read 4,892,143 times

Advertisements

In the Islam forum, a poster gave this quote. What do you think of it?

The Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessing of Allah be upon him) said,
Righteousness is that with which the heart feels at ease,
and sin is that which you feel uneasy about,
even if the people give you fatwa after fatwa
(Consult your heart, no matter how many people give you fatwas and advice).
As an Atheist, I find this idea remarkable, especially coming from a Theist.

It seems to encourage people to use their own common sense before blindly following a religious leader, which I have always encouraged people to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2012, 10:27 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,804,086 times
Funny how succinct, wise K.I.S.S. principles are routinely ignored in religion, only to be replaced by "Kill the infidel!" or "Follow these 500 pages of exact directions of how to spend your every waking moment OR ELSE!" garbage.

Old 10-07-2012, 11:19 AM

15,501 posts, read 17,066,949 times
It is an old cliche but still true. "Too many wear the name of Muslim, but do not follow Islam"

Islam is a very simple religion and very closely follows the K.I.S.S. principle, but many of us seem to like to complicate it and/or take things out of context to serve our own needs.

If a person presents something in Islam that looks complicated, violent, or irrational it is usually something altered to suit a person's desire.

Old 10-07-2012, 11:25 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,804,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
It is an old cliche but still true. "Too many wear the name of Muslim, but do not follow Islam"

Islam is a very simple religion and very closely follows the K.I.S.S. principle, but many of us seem to like to complicate it and/or take things out of context to serve our own needs.

If a person presents something in Islam that looks complicated, violent, or irrational it is usually something altered to suit a person's desire.
It's not just Islam... Christianity did the exact same thing. If Christians really followed Jesus, the Bible would be 1 page that said "The Lord sayeth, Love god and Love thy neighbor all thine days, Amen".

Old 10-07-2012, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
It's not just Islam... Christianity did the exact same thing. If Christians really followed Jesus, the Bible would be 1 page that said "The Lord sayeth, Love god and Love thy neighbor all thine days, Amen".
Quite true. I guess humans like to complicate life. Life would be much more peacefull if we all learned that if we can't explain something in a few words, we won't be able to with a library full.

Old 10-07-2012, 12:14 PM

2,765 posts, read 2,664,439 times
the advice could be abused by those who have sick heart.
And We did not send before you any but men to whom We sent revelation
so ask the followers of the Reminder if you do not know . The Noble Quran.

Old 10-07-2012, 12:42 PM

1,635 posts, read 2,515,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
Quite true. I guess humans like to complicate life. Life would be much more peacefull if we all learned that if we can't explain something in a few words, we won't be able to with a library full.
I know that you are religious and I realize this question may have been asked before, but do you think that with religion in it's current state (not ideal state), would the world be a better place with or without religion?

Old 10-07-2012, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmicstargoat View Post
I know that you are religious and I realize this question may have been asked before, but do you think that with religion in it's current state (not ideal state), would the world be a better place with or without religion?
I find the world is unfolding as it is supposed to. we may not like it and even think we would be better off without religion. But, life is temporary and was given to us a test. The current state of the world is the test for people of this time. Part of the test is we live in a Physical realm subject to physical wants, needs, desires and Human egos.

There would be no difference with or without religions. Those who believe in God(swt) still will even if all religion was destroyed. Those who not submit to God(swt) never will no matter how good life is.

I do not see were there would be any difference if there is or is not ay religion. Those who misuse religion would only find something else to misuse.

Yes, the misuse of religion is a big reason for today's chaotic world. And on the surface it seems reasonable to say the world would be better off without it. But, I doubt if we would see any changes if all religion were to vanish.

The teachings of every major world religion is that of Peace. The problem is not with religion, the problem is that of man trying to satisfy his personal self at the expense of others.

The question of who goes to heaven is another issue and has nothing to do with today's world conditions.

Old 10-07-2012, 05:15 PM

4,612 posts, read 4,892,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truth_teller View Post
the advice could be abused by those who have sick heart.
And We did not send before you any but men to whom We sent revelation
so ask the followers of the Reminder if you do not know . The Noble Quran.
That is a very good point, Truth. I believe that some people benefit greatly from the guidance provided by their religion. Others of us do fine without it.

So how do we know if we need religion or not? Maybe the people who do bad things and hurt themselves or others know in their heart they are doing something wrong, and they are the ones attracted to a strong religion that tells them how to behave. I think Christianity is very good at this because it offers a personal savior to the people who need it.

I think religion has improved a lot of peoples lives, but unfortunately, based on what I have read in these forums, it has caused anguish to some people.

Just like shoes make walking more comfortable, as long as they fit.

Old 10-07-2012, 05:38 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,934,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
In the Islam forum, a poster gave this quote. What do you think of it?

The Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessing of Allah be upon him) said,
Righteousness is that with which the heart feels at ease,
and sin is that which you feel uneasy about,
even if the people give you fatwa after fatwa
(Consult your heart, no matter how many people give you fatwas and advice).
I like it. Another similar quote states, ""Fundamental righteousness is based on adherence to what you know to be right." Basically, I see integrity as being one of the greatest qualities we can strive to develop. We don't have to agree with everybody we come in contact with and we don't have to try to convince everybody to see things our way. I realize you are an atheist, and I'm okay with that. But as a theist, I've got to add that in my opinion, God (presuming that He does exist) wants our behavior to reflect our convictions. He's far more concerned about how we interact with our fellow human beings than He is about the specifics of the doctrines we embrace. When we are doing that, our heart will feel at ease, as Muhammad says.

One more kind of similar quote I use as my signature on another forum is by Rudyard Kipling. It says, "The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." To me, this says we need to trust ourselves and live our lives in accordance to what we sincerely believe and not just conform to what someone else has told us -- even if it's someone who is part of our "tribe."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality