Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 02:01 AM

5,002 posts, read 12,363,370 times

Advertisements

I'll cut right to it - who else here has, or claims to have had, premonitions? To those who haven't, do you think they're fairy tales dreamed up by crackpots and losers who are looking for attention, or are they possibly real?

I'm curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2009, 05:19 AM

4,323 posts, read 6,025,976 times
If your talking about visions, I get them and they come true. It's the immediate future and not the far future though.
If one is to say that in 50 years something bad will happen that destroys hundreds of lives, then those I have to be skeptical about as people and the earth change everyday.
I have heard, although I don't know how true it is, that 2/3 of the planet will be wiped out by natural disasters. I have no idea if this is true but I do believe something will happen that will wake people up to the truths that Jesus taught and we'll start living them.

Old 07-25-2009, 10:02 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,627,765 times
I don't believe that it's possible to know the future. There are billions of people on this planet who have dreams or have some uncomfortable feeling that a particular event is going to take place and they may become fixated on it. It stands to reason that a few of these events will happen in real life just due to the statistics involved. Those are the ones that sometimes are made public and alot of interest is generated by them. However, the 99% or whatever the figure might be, of so called premonitions that don't come true are quickly forgotten. I've had feelings like this myself. I know I've become preoccupied with thoughts about my Mother and StepFather when they take long trips because they've been in alot of serious accidents and they're elderly. Almost all of their accidents have been due to either weather conditions like icy roads or have been someone else's fault but there's been a couple of trips they took that I had feelings that something bad was going to happen but nothing did. It's just human psychology, premonitions are not supernatural glimpses into the future.

Old 07-26-2009, 12:28 AM

33,548 posts, read 37,151,051 times
Every time one of my kids takes a risk or does something dangerous, all kinds of scenarios go through my mind...So far nothing bad has happened, but if one of the things I imagined happened some folks would call it a premonition....They seem to forget about all of the times nothing happened....Premonition? I think not.

Old 07-27-2009, 04:13 PM

4,474 posts, read 5,415,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
I'll cut right to it - who else here has, or claims to have had, premonitions? To those who haven't, do you think they're fairy tales dreamed up by crackpots and losers who are looking for attention, or are they possibly real?

I'm curious.
IMHO...

"Premonitions" do happen, too many recorded incidents to be "coincidence".

They could be messages from Gods, Guides, assorted spirits, etc.

They could be some left over instinctual ability of self-preservation, intuition.

However, I do not believe that prophesy is possible, as I do not hold to the "linear time" philosophy.

Old 07-27-2009, 04:18 PM

4,655 posts, read 5,071,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post

I'm curious.

Define "premonition"?

Old 07-27-2009, 05:09 PM

4,792 posts, read 5,903,410 times
Millions of people have experienced premonitions, and psychic dreams. It's important to document/register them before the fact, and have as many details as possible. I am a firm believer in ESP, precognition, and a host of other things. People who know what I am talking about don't have to prove anything to others.

Old 07-27-2009, 06:15 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,627,765 times
If premonitions were actually a view of what was going to happen in the future and they were a fairly common phenomenon then why do all of the people who supposedly have this ability miss all of the catastrophies that life throws at us? Shouldn't we have been alerted about the 9/11 attacks and which specific planes were going to be hijacked? Why can't people with premonitions tell us what happened to missing children or anyone else for that matter? Premonitions are fiction and while they might make an interesting plot for a movie there is no evidence whatsoever that any human being on this planet actually has this ability.

Old 07-27-2009, 06:55 PM

223 posts, read 616,186 times
Well I know for a fact that people have premonitions because I've had them all my life. However, mine are not exactly like they end up happening but there are too many similarity to chalk it up to coincidence. I've also dreamed about events that I had no way of being aware of - I guess a postmonition.

PS - I'm very intuitive and so is my mother. I don't think it's special though. I just think we're all connected somehow but some people are able to tap into that connection easier. It's probably a scientific explanation that we just haven't figuered out yet, that's all.

Old 07-27-2009, 07:01 PM

4,474 posts, read 5,415,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
If premonitions were actually a view of what was going to happen in the future and they were a fairly common phenomenon then why do all of the people who supposedly have this ability miss all of the catastrophies that life throws at us? Shouldn't we have been alerted about the 9/11 attacks and which specific planes were going to be hijacked? Why can't people with premonitions tell us what happened to missing children or anyone else for that matter? Premonitions are fiction and while they might make an interesting plot for a movie there is no evidence whatsoever that any human being on this planet actually has this ability.
Premonitions basically deal with one's self. I seem to recall a few stories of people not going to work at the towers that day, though they weren't really sick.

One theory holds that it is an inate, natural occurance, an instict, that we call intuition today. that everyone is born with, and in modern western culture gets deprogramed as the child grows as the adults dimiss that "invisible friend" or tells their child "it's ssut a dream, go back to bed".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality