Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2012, 04:29 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times

Advertisements

I had been pondering whether to run this particular flag up and see whether anyone salutes but let's try it. I also wondered whether it belonged in A/A but its to theists, rather than to atheist/agnostics that I direct the question.

Some people have suggested that atheism is in fact irreligion. While irreligion is very often an important and almost inevitable subset of atheism, it is not atheism as such.

Irreligion would also seem to be an important part of the agnostic mindset - I can't be sure as I haven't taken a poll, but I would be surprised if more than 20% of avowed agnostics practiced some kind of formal religious observance.

I have often observed to agnostics that they are on the same page as atheists in this respect, although they don't always realise it - they may half- believe in a god or think a sortagod or deist- god is probable, but they have (I suggest) no more time for organized, man- made religions and their invented personal gods than atheists do. In that respect, I repeat, atheist and agnostics are on the same page.

But What about Theists? I have noticed a number of believers, some of whom sound very religious indeed but who surprised me by stating that they believed in God as everybody's loving god, God as love, feelings of peace and so on. But they did not buy into the orders and exhortations of the Holy Books, nor into organized religion, its observances and requirements.

In that respect, it appears to me, they are every bit as irreligious as the majority of agnostics and atheists.

In what respect do they differ from irreligious atheists? Are they on the same page as us or are they on the same page as the religion - observing theists?

True, they are both believers in God: theists. But I have often said to Deists -believers in a god who dunnitall but who does not intervene in human affairs - that I may not agree with their conclusions but they are someone with whom I could share a flat.

True, I would argue fiercely with them about the evidence and logic behind their belief in a sortagod or deist- god, but essentially, it would merely be an academic argument. In matters of that blasted all - pervasive organized religion, we would be on the same page.

Let me take a hypothetical scenario which, for all I know might have occurred in real life . A believer in God who does not buy into the Bible - claims about God and Jesus and who does not participate in organized religion says so, in the workplace or a party or even here on the boards.

An atheist might say 'Fine with that. Your beliefs are your own affair.' But a religious theist would start quoting scripture and appealing to her...sorry, to them... to please get back to religion and of course into the particular religion in which they happen to believe.

I wonder whether that person or persons might not feel that an atheist was also a person they could share a flat with but they could not be under the same roof with the religious theist.

In that respect, are not irreligious theists and agnostics/atheists all (in practical terms) on the same page?

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 03-23-2012 at 04:41 AM.. Reason: fiddle the stats a bit
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2012, 04:51 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,548,617 times
I tend to think that even within certain groups people aren't on the same page, so my answer to your main(?) question would have to be no.

I think there are degrees in everything. That includes agnosticism. At one point I thought of myself as agnostic because I (for the most part) did not believe in organized religion. But, I still believed in teh basic concepts of Christianity. I have always been a believing in Christ. I just didn't belive all the details of what churches teach. I still don't. But after having many conversations about religion and Christianity etc, I think I am more Christian than agnostic, so I call myself Christian (some won't agree with that).

I couldn't live with a person who is obsessed with convincing me of their beliefs no matter what those beliefs are, if I don't agree with them. Whether it be religion, non-religion, or anything else.
I think choosing a roommate is based more on personality than beliefs. If a roommate is content to mind his or her own business, I pretty much don't care what they believe, just dont' push it on me.

Old 03-23-2012, 05:31 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
I have to agree. While we might agree on a number of things (and of course my flatsharing metaphor was an analogy for the sort of society in which we could happily co -exist) belief in Christ would probably put you on a different page from the irreligious atheist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality