Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 04:31 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,970,823 times

Advertisements

We were talking about this in my Philosophy class the other day and wanted to get more opinions. Do you think it's possible to be a feminist and a christian, or would one have to be compromised to be a "true" christian or a "true" feminist?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2012, 05:05 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,661,785 times
Depends on what your definition is of both, but I do see a conflict.. Not being a Christian nor Feminist, I do not think that I would be qualified to elaborate any further.

Old 04-01-2012, 05:42 PM

58 posts, read 150,295 times
Feminism is advocating the social and economic equality of women. I dont think the two can coexist in Christianity peacefully, unfortunately. In Christian religions, the man has the last word.

Old 04-01-2012, 07:07 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,381,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaganLady View Post
Feminism is advocating the social and economic equality of women. I dont think the two can coexist in Christianity peacefully, unfortunately. In Christian religions, the man has the last word.
From what I've seen, most feminists are not religious, they are "spiritual." Since I don't quote Scripture because I don't make it a point to be a lexicon, I have seen in the New Testament where it says that a man is to attend to his wife, and vice-versa. I don't think it's at all contradictory with Christianity, I just don't think there are many ardent Christian feminists.

Old 04-01-2012, 08:10 PM

3,483 posts, read 4,047,326 times
It is definitely possible. The initial trend of a feminist negative critique of the Bible some decades ago has now given way to a positive feminist interpretation of the Bible which has produced many fine books on the subject. It is now recognized as a legitimate approach to the Bible and Judaism or Christianity.

While recognizing that patriarchism was definitely a working model for most societies, a feminist reading of the Bible reveals a surprising plea for equality within Scripture. Even some of the more offensive statements attributed to Paul have now been shown to be spurious additions made by later editors of the text.

Old 04-01-2012, 08:18 PM

88,614 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:
Moderator cut: inappropriate languageMaybe in Christian religions where the MEN get to do all the interpreting of the religion. Are you suggesting that denomonations wherein women are ordained, female priests aren't paid the same as male priests? If so, provide a link.

Last edited by june 7th; 04-02-2012 at 07:15 AM..

Old 04-01-2012, 08:37 PM

26,789 posts, read 22,567,030 times
Quote:
Agree.
If one studies bible closely, the whole philosophy behind it is that woman takes backstage comparably to man. Christianity is not as fearful ( if not to say hateful) of woman as much as Islam - it teaches much, much more tolerance and patience, but the fact remains; Christianity and Feminism can't coexist.

Old 04-01-2012, 08:40 PM

26,789 posts, read 22,567,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Moderator cut: Orphaned Maybe in Christian religions where the MEN get to do all the interpreting of the religion. Are you suggesting that denomonations wherein women are ordained, female priests aren't paid the same as male priests? If so, provide a link.
Women simply shouldn't be priests, bible doesn't promote such thing, it's an oxymoron)))

Last edited by june 7th; 04-02-2012 at 07:16 AM..

Old 04-01-2012, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Agree.
If one studies bible closely, the whole philosophy behind it is that woman takes backstage comparably to man. Christianity is not as fearful ( if not to say hateful) of woman as much as Islam - it teaches much, much more tolerance and patience, but the fact remains; Christianity and Feminism can't coexist.
You are only referring to fundamentalist/bible-literal/bible-worshipping denominations. Quakers were promoting women's rights long before anyone else and practicing equality in their meetings. Episcopalians have been ordaining women since 1977--and their first female priest was an out-of-the-closet Lesbian besides.

Of course, it's always much easier to just stick with stereotypes. Then no one has to think and everything can be kept simple and in little boxes.

Old 04-01-2012, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Women simply shouldn't be priests, bible doesn't promote such thing, it's an oxymoron)))
Hahaha, and how much of your bible there was written by...MEN? What a coincidence!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality