Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2012, 08:06 AM

27,566 posts, read 28,665,617 times

Advertisements

For anyone who thinks that religious fundamentalism has no effect on most of our lives, think again. Below is just a sample showing just how committed ideologues can be in sneaking religion into public school science classrooms.

No, this is not the 19th century. This is the 21st century. And the creation-evolution controversy is as strong as ever - at least to some people it is. They have no shame in repeatedly violating the establishment clause in the highest law of the land in the U.S. - the Constitution. Take a look for yourself:

AGI Update on Challenges to the Teaching of Evolution

Tennessee teacher law could boost creationism, climate denial | Reuters

Antievolution legislation in Alabama | NCSE

Creationism's Latest Mutation

The Nation; School board ends fight for `evolution is theory' stickers

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/15/na...tion.html?_r=1

Sign in to read: New legal threat to teaching evolution in the US - science-in-society - 09 July 2008 - New Scientist

A third antievolution bill in Oklahoma | NCSE

Texas official resigns, cites creationism conflict - USATODAY.com

Ohio Education Board reverses course on promoting 'intelligent-design'

Science law could set tone for Jindal | NOLA.com

Last edited by BigCityDreamer; 05-15-2012 at 08:20 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2012, 08:51 AM

16,673 posts, read 15,672,301 times
I remember a biology teacher telling us in the early 1960's as he started to introduce a lesson on evolution, "You don't have to believe this stuff; you just have to learn it."

Made sense to me.

I very much support to Constitution. I don't necessarily like all of it, but there is a process for instituting change. If people want non-scientific topics required in school to be taught as science, they must first get their representatives in Congress to propose abolishing the 1st Amendment. If Congress and 37 states agree, then the can teach Creationism equally with evolution. Passing those laws mentioned in the OP was a huge waste of resources in those states. It is blatantly obvious that all those laws will be overturned when they get to the Supreme Court.

Old 05-15-2012, 09:14 AM

3,331 posts, read 5,956,654 times
I've mentioned it in other threads concerning this topic, but I learned evolution from a Catholic Priest at a Catholic School. Though I left the Church back in 1984, I find it completely nutty that these Protestant Fundamentalist/Evangelicals still take the Bible literally and attempt to turn it into science. Craziness.

Old 05-15-2012, 09:38 AM

5,563 posts, read 7,214,408 times
What amazes me is what exactly can they teach about creationism? If they teach the xian crap, then one has to forego all the real science of plants and how they work, and stick only to the biblical accounts; the bible really has little to offer in the way of science and reproduction.

The whole science curriculum would be done and dusted in 2 days and then they haz lurned science.

These dingbats do not realise you cannot pose myth as fact in a science class, kids are naturally inquisitive and with all the world and facts at their fingertips and a click away, do the dingbats think they can persuade their kids to forego all the evolution evidence in favour of no evidence other than what is in the bible?

Do they ignore stuff like how rainbows are really formed or do they teach it is a sign from god/covenant that he will never again fludd the earf?

When it comes to subjects like geography, are teachers expected to teach stuff like the grand canyon was formed in a mere matter of days/months when teaching about simple stuff like erosion? Do they teach the flat earth with the four corners of the earth?

I bet most of these dimwit politicians have not even read the bible and do not realise that evolution is not claiming we come from chimps despite the simplistic models of the 50's.

Do they ignore teaching kids the similarities of DNA between us and our cousins in favour of "all things bright and beautiful, teh lord god made them all?"

Old 05-15-2012, 11:13 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
I remember a biology teacher telling us in the early 1960's as he started to introduce a lesson on evolution, "You don't have to believe this stuff; you just have to learn it."
They could well have said the same thing in my religion class.

Old 05-16-2012, 02:05 AM

5,563 posts, read 7,214,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
They could well have said the same thing in my religion class.
My entire junior and high school years we had a one hour period of religious indoctrination err I mean studies per week. The folk belonging to specific faiths had their laity come to the schools and went off to a specific classroom, the rest of us non denominationals got to watch a Nat Geo 16mm film and at HS we were so many that we had to assemble in the gym which was not conducive to showing films so we got a pot luck evangelical preacher to come tell us mythical tales.

I actually felt sorry for them as they were laughed at loud with their claims of hell and other fanciful tales, never gaining a convert.

The assemblies were CoE themed and we sang hymns like onward xian soldiers and a rote prayer by the headmaster read from a prayer book and then onto business of the school.

When it came to classes, not one teacher ever claimed this is has to be taught but you do not have to believe it. Most of the teachers did have some theistic affiliation but it never entered the classroom.

The few holy joes we had drew the one way pointing finger ( the sign of the woo in the 70's ) and the rest of us swastikas and peace signs on our bags. The holy joes got together at break times and prayed in huddles and no one bothered or mocked them, they would of course try to hand out chick tracts as they were popular back then.

The weird thing is that a lot of these holy joes are now heathen and some of the heathens from back then converted later in life (facebook re-acquaintances)

But none of them/us ever believed in a YEC and all of us learned real science of which evolution was a really small part, probably no more than a day an IIRC we watched a film and were not tested on it ever.

I have no idea of how the GCE (Brit) system has "evolved" but my guess when it comes to biology, not too much has changed in the curriculum from 40 years ago.

Hmm I looked it up
17. Inheritance
Content
17.1 Variation
17.2 Chromosomes and DNA
17.3 Monohybrid inheritance
17.4 Selection
17.5 Genetic engineering Learning outcomes

Candidates should be able to:
(a) describe the difference between continuous and discontinuous variation and give examples of each;
(b) state that a chromosome includes a long molecule of DNA;
(c) state that DNA is divided up into sections called genes;
(d) explain that genes may be copied and passed on to the next generation;
(e) define a gene as a unit of inheritance and distinguish clearly between the terms gene and allele;
(f) describe complete dominance using the terms dominant, recessive, phenotype and genotype;
(g) describe mutation as a change in the structure of a gene (sickle cell anaemia) or in the chromosome number (47 in Down's syndrome instead of 46);
(h) name radiation and chemicals as factors that may increase the rate of mutation;
(i) predict the results of simple crosses with expected ratios of 3:1 and 1:1, using the terms homozygous, heterozygous, F 1 generation and F 2 generation;
(j) explain why observed ratios often differ from expected ratios, especially when there are small numbers of progeny;
(k) explain co-dominance by reference to the inheritance of the ABO blood group phenotypes (A, B, AB, O, gene alleles I A I B and I O);
(l) describe the determination of sex in humans (XX and XY chromosomes);
(m) describe variation and state that competition leads to differential survival of organisms,and reproduction by those organisms best fitted to the environment;
(n) assess the importance of natural selection as a possible mechanism for evolution;
I searched the entire syllabus and found only ONE reference to evolution in this context;Oh the horrors....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality