Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 01:30 AM

81 posts, read 128,214 times

Advertisements

Am I alone in not believing anything. These are the things I don't believe in.

1. Religion - There are thousands of them even if some of them are much bigger than others. All of them are stating different things and different holy figures. (Needles to say that all of them think that their own religion is the "correct one" and all the others are false).

The 2001 edition of Barrett's World Christian Encyclopedia, identifies 10,000 distinct religions, of which 150 have 1 million or more followers. Within Christianity (counted as just one religion), 33,830 different denominations are counted. This would include denominations as large as Catholicism and as small as Shakers.

2. Mediums - Even a lot of non religious people believe in this. What I mean by a medium are people that can contact the dead etc. James Van Praagh is probably the most famous and millions believe in him.
Check out this classic clip by Mr Praagh. He is doing a great job and is guessing things like:

A. A 60 year old woman has a buried mother
B. A person's mother took medicine before she died
C. A catholic woman has a picture of mother Mary in her house
D. He is recommending a woman to stop smoking because it's not good for her

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t07UzTcApMI (if any person believes in this guy after watching this clip you need to have your head examined)

3. Spirits of any sort - things like a house could be haunted etc.

4. Fortune tellers - looking into the future

5. Witches and other ghosts

Am I alone in thinking all of the above are made up bullcrap

Last edited by johnsweeting; 05-17-2012 at 02:03 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2012, 01:54 AM

5,563 posts, read 7,215,344 times
Nope, with you 100% it is all in the head and folk need to believe crap for whatever reason.

It does not help to apply a SM approach to these "phenomenon" because folk will simply dismiss the real evidence in exchange for an untruth (ceding to confirmation bias).

There has to be a reason why the US seems to be the country with one of the highest if not THE highest incidences of UFOs. With all the Hollywood crap this has to influence people. Back here in the world of reality, we hardly get any UFO reports in comparison.

The uber religious seem to have no problem believing any kind of woo, but then their levels of evidence and proof are not very high to start off with.

Old 05-17-2012, 02:11 AM

81 posts, read 128,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekerSA View Post
Nope, with you 100% it is all in the head and folk need to believe crap for whatever reason.
Ok..Good to know that I'm not alone out there

Old 05-17-2012, 08:50 AM

5,421 posts, read 6,505,038 times
This board is filled with skeptics like you, (and me.)

Old 05-17-2012, 09:08 AM

27,571 posts, read 28,673,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsweeting View Post
Am I alone in not believing anything. These are the things I don't believe in.

1. Religion - There are thousands of them even if some of them are much bigger than others. All of them are stating different things and different holy figures. (Needles to say that all of them think that their own religion is the "correct one" and all the others are false).

The 2001 edition of Barrett's World Christian Encyclopedia, identifies 10,000 distinct religions, of which 150 have 1 million or more followers. Within Christianity (counted as just one religion), 33,830 different denominations are counted. This would include denominations as large as Catholicism and as small as Shakers.

2. Mediums - Even a lot of non religious people believe in this. What I mean by a medium are people that can contact the dead etc. James Van Praagh is probably the most famous and millions believe in him.
Check out this classic clip by Mr Praagh. He is doing a great job and is guessing things like:

A. A 60 year old woman has a buried mother
B. A person's mother took medicine before she died
C. A catholic woman has a picture of mother Mary in her house
D. He is recommending a woman to stop smoking because it's not good for her

James Van Praagh failing miserably at cold reading on The Circle, Channel 10. - YouTube (if any person believes in this guy after watching this clip you need to have your head examined)

3. Spirits of any sort - things like a house could be haunted etc.

4. Fortune tellers - looking into the future

5. Witches and other ghosts

Am I alone in thinking all of the above are made up bullcrap
No, you are basically a scientific skeptic - which is great thing to be. It's a very rational and precise way of approaching reality.

Old 05-17-2012, 09:20 AM

1,379 posts, read 1,761,719 times
A skeptical mind is a powerful mind. Just my 2 cents.

Old 05-17-2012, 10:54 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,731,784 times
I'm always open to some of this stuff being demonstrated, but all the time it remains elusive, even evasive, relies on an uncritical audience, shuns investigation and fails to hoax so often when put to the test, I have to remain interested but skeptical.

Old 05-17-2012, 11:21 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,919,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lustmolch View Post
Good OP. You're not alone, but part of a small minority.
Here's a revision, slightly adjusted for reality, my friend! We're "part of a medium-sized, but rapidly growing group!"

As science continues to prove up the previously misunderstood mysteries in life, plus providing new and amazing facts, all in direct contradiction of some ancient sheeple-type faith-and fear-based beliefs, we atheists will become the majority. Noting that we already are that within the far more educated and skeptically-thinking Europeans.

But illiteracy-based Islam is, for sure,growing like wildfire in the uneducated ME and Africa, that much is true. Despite what you will be told, that doesn't make it right either!

Sooner or later this sitch will require a possibly rather "blunt" social adjustment.

Old 05-17-2012, 01:37 PM

8,831 posts, read 11,624,452 times
Well as you can see you are definitely not alone, maybe you aren't surrounded by skeptics in real life but here at C-D you will find many like-minded people. It's been very helpful for me because I'm a fairly new non-believer (agnostic) after an entire lifetime of being a Christian and being very close-minded. I'm learning all sorts of new things and it's OK for me to do that!

I don't believe any of the things you listed in the OP either and I think eventually there will be a whole lot more people coming to those conclusions also.

Old 05-17-2012, 01:54 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,861,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsweeting View Post
Ok..Good to know that I'm not alone out there
Did you REALLY think that you were the only one??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality