Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 12:33 AM

8,831 posts, read 11,623,201 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
I'm not sure. But I do know that he said we would have trials and tribulations on this Earth. And that when we overcome it with faith and prayer, it makes us stronger in him. It's all for a divine purpose.

James 1:12
Blessed is the man who remains steadfast under trial, for when he has stood the test he will receive the crown of life, which God has promised to those who love him

Another thing you have to understand is that God himself went through MUCH MUCH worse than any human will ever have on this Earth. Jesus was beat, bloodied, bruised, cut-up, ripped, shred, and torn in several places on his body by wicked people to save humanity for our sins that we may saved and see Heaven. So when I think about all our problems and our struggles and trials, I think about Christ and his sacrifice on the cross and I remember that nothing that I have been through in my life was as bad or as worse as what he went through on the cross to save me and you and everyone on this Earth for our sins.

John 16:33
I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world.”

I just take faith. Our suffering is only for a little while.
Ok, I've heard all of this **** before, what are you saying? Take it all on "faith" and everything else will just fall into place? It don't work that way, and if "god" is really there then he would let me win the lottery. Do you know how many times I've "prayed" for that? Seems like I remember one of those "lottery winners" stories where he said he prayed to god for it, and he got it! Hallelujah!

Then, he bought a house and got on drugs so bad that he lost everything. EVERYTHING. Somewhere in Florida, I think. My point is that "god" didn't answer that man's prayers any more than he's answered yours, it's just that he was one lucky bastard. Come on, you know why you're here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2012, 12:34 AM

5,563 posts, read 7,214,408 times
Awe shame poor jesus, he never looked like this though

Old 05-24-2012, 09:48 AM

67 posts, read 82,226 times
Quote:
I remember last year or the year before, we fell into a situation that we were so financially crippled in, I thought we would be out on the street. We needed at least $500 to get out of there. Long story short - I asked God and received it! You need to have faith and trust in God! Ask, believe, and receive! .
I remember reading somewhere he doesn't answer selfish prayers, and that's why people with spinal chord injuries are never able to walk again. That's why my prayer for an immediate end to roadkill was never answered. I think your $500 was just luck. God seems to be against greed, and pro having us work to support ourselves.

Sorry to be so cold, but life itself is cruel enough to allow children to starve to death, so I'm lukewarm towards it.

Old 05-24-2012, 09:52 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,281,755 times
Quote:
I'm not sure. But I do know that he said we would have trials and tribulations on this Earth. And that when we overcome it with faith and prayer, it makes us stronger in him. It's all for a divine purpose.

James 1:12
Blessed is the man who remains steadfast under trial, for when he has stood the test he will receive the crown of life, which God has promised to those who love him

Another thing you have to understand is that God himself went through MUCH MUCH worse than any human will ever have on this Earth. Jesus was beat, bloodied, bruised, cut-up, ripped, shred, and torn in several places on his body by wicked people to save humanity for our sins that we may saved and see Heaven. So when I think about all our problems and our struggles and trials, I think about Christ and his sacrifice on the cross and I remember that nothing that I have been through in my life was as bad or as worse as what he went through on the cross to save me and you and everyone on this Earth for our sins.

John 16:33
I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world.”

I just take faith. Our suffering is only for a little while.
Tell that to the kid in the picture above...the one who's starving to death...you think that child can have faith? in what?

Old 05-24-2012, 10:13 AM

6,822 posts, read 6,635,398 times
The Scriptures are clear no one can communicate with God unless their is one mediator - the Man Messiah Jesus. The reason for this is our separation due to our sin. So communication comes only through his Holy Spirit which intercedes for believers only in which he communicates through the Son to the Father.

If we're not "In Christ" by receiving him through repentance through the Cross believing the gospel than we have no communication. It is a free gift (ephesians 2:8-10)(Romans 3,4,5) to ANYONE that comes to God through Christ meaning it..

This being said, God in his sovereignty answers prayer. I know prayer works for those "born again". Maybe not on my time or way, but it does. God also doesn't respond to our demands. Why should he? He does respond to our requests.

Everything in the end, works for the glory of God. As for the young man that is suffering and needs food, it is for a purpose. The purpose could be to later on exalt him while putting to shame his oppressors in the real reality - eternity. Who knows? God's ways are above our ways. Lean not to our own understanding the Scriptures say.

This is all one great big test. The test is faithfulness.

Old 05-24-2012, 10:51 AM

5,563 posts, read 7,214,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelee81 View Post
The Scriptures are clear no one can communicate with God unless their is one mediator - the Man Messiah Jesus. The reason for this is our separation due to our sin. So communication comes only through his Holy Spirit which intercedes for believers only in which he communicates through the Son to the Father.

If we're not "In Christ" by receiving him through repentance through the Cross believing the gospel than we have no communication. It is a free gift (ephesians 2:8-10)(Romans 3,4,5) to ANYONE that comes to God through Christ meaning it..

This being said, God in his sovereignty answers prayer. I know prayer works for those "born again". Maybe not on my time or way, but it does. God also doesn't respond to our demands. Why should he? He does respond to our requests.

Everything in the end, works for the glory of God. As for the young man that is suffering and needs food, it is for a purpose. The purpose could be to later on exalt him while putting to shame his oppressors in the real reality - eternity. Who knows? God's ways are above our ways. Lean not to our own understanding the Scriptures say.

Aah another preach attack

What you fail to recognise, most atheists here were once devout christians and were under your all encompassing "in christ" umbrella.

Now with that said, cue the "not a true christian™ in 3.... 2.... 1.

Prayer don't work and answered prayers is = to random chance (or connecting dots when there is not even a piece of paper in front of you)

Old 05-24-2012, 10:55 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,858,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlonemillion View Post
Most gay men get AIDs.
Moderator cut: delete

Quote:
I remember last year or the year before, we fell into a situation that we were so financially crippled in, I thought we would be out on the street. We needed at least $500 to get out of there. Long story short - I asked God and received it!
Well it's good to know that your god cares more about giving you $500 than he does about making it rain in Africa so that they can feed themselves.

It seems he cares for you more than he cares about the prayers of his clergy too, who have been gathering annually to pray for world peace and an end to suffering. He's ignored them for about 15 years now. Guess all those illustrious chuch leaders just don't have enough 'faith' huh?

You must be a pretty special dude for your god to grant your prayer for financial gain whilst he refuses to grant the prayers of starving children who ask for nothing more than a bowl of grain and a cup of clean water....yet are refused daily by the 'loving', 'compassionate' god that you grovel to.

Quote:
If most of you people only knew what God has prepared in Heaven for innocent little creatures such as those squirrels and those greater than them such as lions and dinosaurs, you wouldn't feel so bad for ANY animal. They all have the same destiny. They are born and live on Earth for a time, then they die by whatever circumstance, and go on to Heaven. And they are VERY happy and safe in Heaven eternally.
...and which little furry squirrel came back and told you this.

Last edited by Miss Blue; 05-27-2012 at 05:47 AM.. Reason: calling someone a moron is off limits in these forums

Old 05-24-2012, 10:56 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,917,890 times
Cool It's in the stars, and so on...

Quote:
Quote:
YES YES AND YES. It's SO true it's not even funny.

√ This year, EVERYTHING I asked God for has came true. I asked for the impossible and he made possible for me. Ya'll don't just know. It's all about faith. If you don't have it, then that's why your prayers don't work. It's hard. But you really have to trust in him. I remember last year or the year before, we fell into a situation that we were so financially crippled in, I thought we would be out on the street. We needed at least $500 to get out of there.

√ Long story short - I asked God and received it! You need to have faith and trust in God! Ask, believe, and receive!

It took me a long time to realize that God was not playing with this verse. You really truly shape your reality by what comes out of your mouth. You can destroy and create with it. So please, watch yours and bless your life and others as well. I encourage everyone to make a list of goals and dreams and write them down and speak them into existence. They will happen.

All completely anecdotal at best, imaginative at the least, and outright delusional in fact. The stats on prayer success are dismal, actually.

√ Christian dominated marriages fail far earlier than do atheist marriages.

√ Children with devoutly demanding Christian parents die with a higher frequency, and often in miserable pain, than do the children of logically thinking parents who allow the application of the latest scientific medical discoveries to be applied.

√ There's nothing "selfish" about a believer's praying for some help in his or her legless condition, esp. where that limb may well have been lost in what is claimed to be essentially a Holy War (Thx, G. W Bush-leaguer) against the Taliban and radical Islam.

√ Religious materialism is a delusion. The acquisition of wealth and material goods is never enhanced by prayer any more than it is by simple luck (eg: Lotto wins) or hard work. Or being the beneficiary of some dead relative.

Such an undeniable state of affairs, is, of course, denied (as usual) by the following logically inept rebuttals:

1. “God doesn’t work like that”.
2. “It must have not been God’s Will”.
3. “You didn’t have enough faith”.
4. “God used the doctor as his tool to cure you”.
5. “You should not test God”.
6. “God has performed all kinds of miracles. Only faith allows you to see them”.
7. “Starving and diseased children are the result of man’s interference and evil”.
8. “God has a plan”.
9. “God works in mysterious ways”.
10.“Prayer is an act of faith”.

Quote:
Quote:
If most of you people only knew what God has prepared in Heaven for innocent little creatures such as those squirrels and those greater than them such as lions and dinosaurs, you wouldn't feel so bad for ANY animal. They all have the same destiny. They are born and live on Earth for a time, then they die by whatever circumstance, and go on to Heaven. And they are VERY happy and safe in Heaven eternally.
Wow? Another wildly assumptive and creative answer. I'm looking through my bible and DO NOT see this anywhere! Lions converted from predatory carnivorous behavior (does God also revise their dentition and digestive enzymes? Hmmm?),

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBExG...eature=related

Cats laying down with dogs, sheep with ticks, and so on. Lovely little squirrely-poos cuddling up to their beneficiary hand-feeders. Yup: it's all such a glorious place you've created in your head... By my thinking, "heaven" for a Cheetah would be to have all this but no lions lurking around, let alone competing jaguars, leopards, and so on... So God would have to change a lot of things, and you would no longer have a true Cheetah, but rather, this...

http://images.search.yahoo.com/image...mb=UdTQbXpxPcn

This all denies, of course, the built-in genetics of desire to participate in both the chase and the kill…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRxsP2YMaOI

(I, having hunted, cannot deny the satisfaction of fulfilling my genetic heritage, as I'm sure this cheetah felt when he/she completed her amazing run. (Ain't Evolution wonnerful? We have fossils and remnants of the Cheetah's predecessors down in the museum, and the relentless morphological improvements are all rather easily seen..). One must of needs conclude that some of us came from a long line of pacifistic prey animals, while others like us, originated with the more highly evolved and efficient predatory types who think it all through to it's logical conclusions.)

As well, how many prayers do you think were offered up in desperate and frantic dispare for those engulfed in the Christian Hitler's plans and systematic murders in the Holocaust?

Whattah Loadah!

Quote:
Quote:
I remember reading somewhere he doesn't answer selfish prayers, and that's why people with spinal chord injuries are never able to walk again. That's why my prayer for an immediate end to roadkill was never answered. I think your $500 was just luck. God seems to be against greed, and pro having us work to support ourselves.

Sorry to be so cold, but life itself is cruel enough to allow children to starve to death, so I'm lukewarm towards it.
Agreed, Km. I do not however think those with spinal cord injures are selfish, just desperate and wondering 1) why their God let the cause of that injury happen in the first place, and 2) to what possible purpose does such a grievous injury relate, vis-a-vis a permanently disabled Christian person's devout belief?

As a "(retired) profesional wildlife biologist (specializing in polars, plus the other two other very predatory and accomplished bears..) I am personally involved in the rescue as it were, of Cheetahs in this world. We have literally billions of selfishly reproducing and endlessly greedy hominids, adding hourly to this world's population, while there are now less than 10,000 cheetahs out of a once- secure population, at the turn of the century, of >> 100,000. They are, by any perspective [except that of their typical prey, the antelopes and mini dik-diks.. ], truly one of "God's most magnificent creatures" if you must. But prayer won't do them a good goll-durned bit of good, now will it?

Alternate reality: Send money, and fast! And hold the prayers: don't waste time praying when you could be mailing money.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelee81 View Post

Always with the creative answers. See list above . No test, except in our ability to think and then react logically. Which, clearly observed, we are failing at, and miserably! Given that there is no demonstrable God, [not to invoke his dismal prayer-answering statistics…], by anyone's rational evaluation [remember: I used the word rational here...], no positive correlation. How can He have some secret (and thus convenient...) purpose for you and I, esp. in light the obvious pain and suffering in this world of His, all of which grows exponentially as we over-populate and consume limited resources? All at the endless expense of all His other creatures, and often at the persistent urging of the local ministry bloviators, in countries they are working to convert the pagan heathens (see: Mitchener's "Hawaii", plus his other work "Alaska", plus the inescapable escapades of those noxious prairie priests in the once-serene and balanced American West.).

Under that empire-building period, our native brethren so very much enjoyed the truly Evil hand of the invading RC Church in it's revenge- and discipline-based ministrations!

As for your selective purposes for the starving child, why then the greed-based success of the sons & daughters of folks like Robert Schuller, here seen devoutly praying, as only a TV evangelical can do...

Image Detail for - http://j-walk.com/images/SchullerFamilyBenefitsFromChurchBankrupt_7322/robertschuller.jpg

and this telling situation...

The Rev. Robert Schuller Reportedly Ousted from Crystal Cathedral Ministries | Fox News

Oh well, huh? Their prayers for deliverance will [or have now been…] be answered. (Note: later, this glory hole church did go for broke, despite the prayerfests that Schuller the Elder held on several occasions. Because of the initial success of Schuller theElder, his son & daughters have become independently wealthy folk while literally thousands of their local congregation, in the very Hispanic part of SoCal, suffer from near-poverty conditions, all while tithing into the passed gold-plated plate? (Q from rifleman to hisself: what part of California is NOT major Hispanic now? With their God-acknowledged intent for massive families through an historically massive baby-making rate {religious fecundity?} coupled with free health care at our expense… Another thread one supposes...) are in a state of poverty and fiscal despair. Nice!

Let us Prey... (Oh ooooops: bad typo, but I'll let it stand.. It is, after all, very reflective of the church's true position)

Last edited by rifleman; 05-24-2012 at 11:35 AM..

Old 05-24-2012, 11:36 AM

4,612 posts, read 4,895,179 times
Quote:
"And all things you ask in prayer, believing, you will receive."
From my experience, that is true.

Everything I have ever asked for in prayer has been given to me.

Old 05-24-2012, 12:01 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,858,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
From my experience, that is true.

Everything I have ever asked for in prayer has been given to me.
...another one that is more 'special' than all the starving children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality