Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 11:36 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,610,711 times

Advertisements

You shall have no other gods before me.

You shall not make for yourself any carved image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth; you shall not bow down to them nor serve them. For I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children to the third and fourth generations of those who hate me, but showing mercy to thousands, to those who love Me and keep My commandments.

You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain, for the Lord will not hold him guiltless who takes His name in vain.

Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days you shall labor and do all your work, but the seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord your God. In it you shall do no work: you, nor your son, nor your daughter, nor your manservant, nor your maidservant, nor your cattle, nor your stranger who is within your gates. For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested the seventh day. Therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and hallowed it.

Honor your father and your mother, that your days may be long upon the land which the Lord your God is giving you.

http://www.bible-knowledge.com/10-commandments/

The first 1/2 of the ten commandments sound like the opposite of freedom, but sound of hard core rule.
They were of course similar to pagan rule from the earlier Roman Gods list of rules like Bacchus, Zoroaster and Minos among others.

Bacchus was called the 'Lawgiver', and his laws were written on two tablets of stone. This feature in the Hebrew legend was evidently copied from that related of Bacchus.

The idea of Moses receiving the commandments from God on a mountain was taken from the Persian legend related to Zoroaster - One day, as he prayed on a high mountain, in the midst of thunders and lightnings (“fire from heaven”), the Lord himself appeared before him, and delivered unto him the 'Book of Law'. While the King of Persia and the people were assembled together, Zoroaster came down from the mountain unharmed, bringing with him the 'Book of the Law', which had been revealed to him by Ormuzd. They call this book the Zend-Avesta, which signified the Living Word.

According to the religion of the Cretans, Minos, their lawgiver, ascended a mountain (Mount Dicta) and there received from the Supreme Lord (Zeus) the sacred laws which he brought down with him.

Many Egyptian sayings that closely correspond to the Ten Commandments can be found in the Egyptian Book of the Dead - “Not have I despised God – Not have I cursed God - Not have I killed - Not have I stolen - Not have I fornicated - Not have I defiled the wife of a man – Not have I committed adultery - Not have I borne false witness”.

Almost all nations of antiquity have legends of their holy men ascending a mountain to ask counsel of the gods, such places being invested with peculiar sanctity, and deemed nearer to the deities than other portions of the earth.

One well known mythical element is clearly imported: the story about him being in a basket and put on the river Nile by his mother and saved by Pharaoh's daughter (this story is found in both the Bible and in the Koran). This myth is parallel to older myths in Mesopotamian religions. It is the same as the story of Sabizeze of Rwanda.

These are obviously signs of the times given logical thought. So, in that light why aren't they allowed to be updated to reflect how most religious people view life and it's importance currently? Just curious.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2012, 01:13 PM

526 posts, read 692,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
So, in that light why aren't they allowed to be updated to reflect how most religious people view life and it's importance currently? Just curious.
Thanks
The religious people you are referring to (Christians) are using the Old Testament without permission from its owners and you want them to... update it too?

Old 06-19-2012, 02:17 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,980,170 times
Most of the ten commandments are in the future tense "You shall." In the future, when God writes His law on their heart, they will. I like to think of them as prophetic statements.

Old 06-19-2012, 02:35 PM

20,443 posts, read 12,801,153 times
Following the commandments is optional.

Old 06-19-2012, 04:02 PM

9,691 posts, read 10,027,043 times
These Commandment with Jesus Spirit in a believers heart are easy to keep as Jesus Spirit comes with a cleansing and a inbred Spirit to love the Lord God , as the term dictatorship would be alien to believers of Christ, as they are in love with the Lord ......... Jesus has a prophecy where these first three commandments will in the last day be removed from the authority of the adversary dark spirit which blaspheme them today in this World , and these Commandments will have full acceptance by everybody in the world and people will worship the Lord in the streets, which will be fully acceptable, , Go Figure ...

Old 06-19-2012, 04:16 PM

1,977 posts, read 1,943,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
These Commandment with Jesus Spirit in a believers heart are easy to keep as Jesus Spirit comes with a cleansing and a inbred Spirit to love the Lord God , as the term dictatorship would be alien to believers of Christ, as they are in love with the Lord ......... Jesus has a prophecy where these first three commandments will in the last day be removed from the authority of the adversary dark spirit which blaspheme them today in this World , and these Commandments will have full acceptance by everybody in the world and people will worship the Lord in the streets, which will be fully acceptable, , Go Figure ...
and how is this different from north korea where people are forced to worship Kim Il Sung the eternal president of North Korea, dead since 1994 and his grandson Kim Jung Un?

Old 06-19-2012, 10:00 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,696,228 times
According to Judaism 101: Aseret ha-Dibrot: The "Ten Commandments", here are the original first 5 Mitzvot (Commandments):

1. Belief in G-d
This category is derived from the declaration in Ex. 20:2 beginning, "I am the L-rd, your G-d..."

2. Prohibition of Improper Worship
This category is derived from Ex. 20:3-6, beginning, "You shall not have other gods..." It encompasses within it the prohibition against the worship of other gods as well as the prohibition of improper forms of worship of the one true G-d, such as worshiping G-d through an idol.

3. Prohibition of Oaths
This category is derived from Ex. 20:7, beginning, "You shall not take the name of the L-rd your G-d in vain..." This includes prohibitions against perjury, breaking or delaying the performance of vows or promises, and speaking G-d's name or swearing unnecessarily.

4. Observance of Sacred Times
This category is derived from Ex. 20:8-11, beginning, "Remember the Sabbath day..." It encompasses all mitzvot related to Shabbat, holidays, or other sacred time.

5. Respect for Parents and Teachers
This category is derived from Ex. 20:12, beginning, "Honor your father and mother..."

Old 06-19-2012, 11:08 PM

526 posts, read 692,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
Jesus has a prophecy where these first three commandments ...

Jesus has nothing to do with these first three commandments or with the rest of them because, according to the gospel writers, he was born thousands of years after the commandments were issued and, besides, he spoke only Greek. Didn’t you know that?

Old 06-20-2012, 04:04 PM

20,443 posts, read 12,801,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtango View Post
Jesus has nothing to do with these first three commandments or with the rest of them because, according to the gospel writers, he was born thousands of years after the commandments were issued and, besides, he spoke only Greek. Didn’t you know that?
That would make sense, if Jesus was only a man. However, if He is God, as many believe, then your point is invalid.

Old 06-20-2012, 04:31 PM

33,559 posts, read 37,160,046 times
Most of the ten commandments are not needed...

Ten Commandments - by George Carlin - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality