Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 09:22 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,896,363 times

Advertisements

So two weeks ago I took a journey across five states from Ohio to South Carolina and on the expedition I stopped at plenty of rest stops as you can imagine one would have to. I made my return just last night. Anyway, it seemed at each stop I made, sitting on the toilet paper dispenser, was a small leaflet that read " Are You A Christian?" or "Do You Know God?" Now, while I certainly believe that the leaflets were in the right location of the bathroom {} seeing them there, at EVERY stop, made me question why the state or whoever regulates these things allows them to be placed there? Imagine for a moment, if every religious org. were to place their propaganda in every stall of every rest stop. Imagine if every business were also allowed to place ads in these stalls. Imagine if every single person or organization that had a message they felt worth spreading to to the crapping passer-by were allowed to leave their mark on these rest stops. The rest area would be so overcrowded with these types of things that they wouldn't even be usable. So are they allowed to be placed there or do people just put them there to spite not being allowed to?

If you are a religious person who has placed these types of.... im going to call them ads........ in rest areas and other various locations, why do you feel you have the right to do so? If you simply agree with them being placed there, do you honestly believe someone at a random truck stop picked up that leaflet, and was saved? Do you really think it does any good?

Do you think that anyone should be allowed to leave their propaganda wherever they please? And why is it that an exception seems to be made for religion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2012, 09:31 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
No one "allows them" or makes an exception. In fact, it's littering. But the leaflets you see are called tracts, and they are left there by believers who actually think that someone might be saved.

It is possible for that to happen, of course. Haven't you ever gotten a "message from the universe" that lifted you during a bad time? That happens sometimes when someone comes across one of the tracts, it hits a nerve, and they become born again.

It is part of evangelizing, which many denominations take very seriously and pursue actively. Many Bible verses command believers to evangelize, but many point to Matthew 28:19-20 as inspiration: "Therefore go forth and make disciples of all nations ..."

Unless rest stop employees were doing this (which I doubt), you likely were traveling behind some persistent pentecostals.

Old 06-17-2012, 09:31 PM

1,385 posts, read 2,454,744 times
I think it is a great idea to leave any sort of propaganda in the restrooms!

As long as it is made of soft biodegradable paper and doesn't chafe.

Old 06-17-2012, 09:42 PM

1,974 posts, read 1,940,422 times
collect them and placed them in a garbage bin

Old 06-17-2012, 09:57 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,078,401 times
They seem to be a high profit item. I think they charge the Evangelicals about a quarter each for them.

Although very few if any non-Christians ever read them. They do seem to be targeted for Evangelical Christians who seem to think they are guide books for getting converts. They see them, order from the address on the back and buy a few thousand to drop off in more rest stops. The only reason they seem to disappear is because every day the clean up crews toss them in the trash bin.

Actually I think they are a conspiracy by militant atheists who have found an effective way to chase people away from Christianity. Before you holler unfounded Conspiracy theory, I'll admit I just made that up. But the overall effect is they do tend to drive people away from Christianity.

Old 06-17-2012, 10:10 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,896,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
It is possible for that to happen, of course. Haven't you ever gotten a "message from the universe" that lifted you during a bad time? That happens sometimes when someone comes across one of the tracts, it hits a nerve, and they become born again.
So I see. An admition that religion preys on the vulnerable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meester-Chung View Post
collect them and placed them in a garbage bin
I won't do this for various reasons. The number one being, that I don't get paid to do that. Number two is, even though I don't think its right to leave that stuff behind, I also don't think it's right for me to just pick it up and toss it. Now if the janitors have been instructed to do that, by all means, they should. Number three is, if a lazy employee decides they don't want to refill the toilet paper, those tracts just may come in handy. That should have been my "number two" reason... lol.

Old 06-17-2012, 11:44 PM

659 posts, read 1,102,022 times
I love Chick tracts. Every time I come across them in some random place I never would have expected, it's like getting a personal message straight from God.

That message is almost always "You haven't had enough laughs today".

Old 06-18-2012, 05:08 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
Chicktracts have a horrible fascination for me, too, Slavemaster, rather like the mix of irritation and incredulous hilarity at some of the stuff we see from certain theists on the subject of evolution or the Ark.

Old 06-18-2012, 05:40 AM

15,501 posts, read 17,078,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Chicktracts have a horrible fascination for me, too, Slavemaster, rather like the mix of irritation and incredulous hilarity at some of the stuff we see from certain theists on the subject of evolution or the Ark.
On occasion I find the anti-Islam ones. Usually in places a Muslim doesn't normally frequent. Odd to even find them in ND, we are not known to be a significant part of the population. A telephone campaign could probably reach every ND Muslim in less than a day.

The language used in them is usually similar to what you would find in Rudolph Valentino movies and they all assume us Muslims are Arab, ride camels, carry swords and call everybody infidel.

I find it hard to believe anyone really thinks those pieces of junk would actually convince anybody to convert.

Yet, like you I have a fascination for them. More like a laugh at the stereotypical views of us. Very Few ND Muslims have ever been in the Arab Nations, Most of us seem to be of European ancestry.

Old 06-18-2012, 05:50 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
Believe me, Abdullah, to the unwary, the hellfire - threat ones can be very alarming. I remember one about Muslims - saying that they worshipped a moon - god and some far - fetched one about Catholicism - some weird conspiracy theory, and the one with a cartoon version of 'Einstein and the Atheist Professor' adapted to include some Kent Hovind nonsense about vestigial organs and Polystrates.

Very persuasive if one has never researched these matters before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality