Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 03:44 PM

679 posts, read 1,439,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Why did God create such a variety of animals? Your guess is as good as mine, but He obviously saw that it was good to create variety. I believe all species were created at the same time.
Quote:
Life-forms share certain characteristics because they share a common Creator. Of course He would create them to share certain characteristics.
So you don't know why your god made such variety but you know he would naturally make them to share characteristics. This is in your bible on page...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2007, 03:57 PM

3,086 posts, read 6,273,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyChief View Post
but you know he would naturally make them to share characteristics.
No, I'm sorry, I don't know this... I was thinking in "human" terms when I said "Of course He would create them to share certain characteristics." If He was the Creator, it's obvious that He did create them to share certain characteristics, but I suppose He wouldn't have needed to.

I don't know why this useless discussion is cracking me up! It's only Wednesday, after all...

Old 10-03-2007, 04:14 PM

Why would you think it was useless? There was tremendous efforts made here to try and explain Evolution and at the end you dismissed it all with ease. That's fine, but it sure begs questions when you choose something else. I would think it would be nice to return at least some of the courtesy that was paid to you, so please, if you don't mind, expand on your belief and indulge us by answering some questions.

So with a hypothesis that your god created everything, you feel shared characteristics in animals is evidence that god intended for animals to share characteristics. Correct?

Old 10-03-2007, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Why would you think it was useless? There was tremendous efforts made here to try and explain Evolution and at the end you dismissed it all with ease. That's fine, but it sure begs questions when you choose something else. I would think it would be nice to return at least some of the courtesy that was paid to you, so please, if you don't mind, expand on your belief and indulge us by answering some questions.
I apologize if what I said insulted you. I wasn't talking about the whole thread, but just about the immediate conversation, which seemed to be useless to me at the moment when I typed that, but of course if you are sincerely wanting to know, it definitely is not useless.

Quote:
So with a hypothesis that your god created everything, you feel shared characteristics in animals is evidence that god intended for animals to share characteristics. Correct?
Since I believe that God created the animals, and I see that many animals share characteristics, I believe that God created many animals with shared characteristics. Maybe I'm not getting the question??

Last edited by cg81; 10-03-2007 at 04:43 PM..

Old 10-03-2007, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Since I believe that God created the animals, and I see that many animals share characteristics, I believe that God created many animals with shared characteristics.
So if it was discovered that at one time there were very strange creatures which shared very little with all other animal life so far known, then you would have to conclude that he meant them to be so. Correct?
If a creature changed tomorrow in some way, would that also be your god's work, or could that be something solely natural?

Old 10-03-2007, 04:50 PM

Quote:
So if it was discovered that at one time there were very strange creatures which shared very little with all other animal life so far known, then you would have to conclude that he meant them to be so. Correct?
I believe that since He was the Creator, everything He created at the beginning was meant to be so. At the beginning, He said it was very good.

Quote:
If a creature changed tomorrow in some way, would that also be your god's work, or could that be something solely natural?
I believe that the natural laws as we know them were set in order at creation, and so everything that happens in nature will be according to those laws. I'm not saying He can't interfere, and of course I believe in miracles of the Bible, but I don't believe God would regularly interfere with nature's laws and directly make a creature changed tomorrow.

Old 10-03-2007, 05:13 PM

Quote:
I believe that the natural laws as we know them were set in order at creation, and so everything that happens in nature will be according to those laws. I'm not saying He can't interfere, and of course I believe in miracles of the Bible, but I don't believe God would regularly interfere with nature's laws and directly make a creature changed tomorrow.
If we observed creatures evolve, this would be ok with you then. In fact, this would be another affirmation of the god hypothesis since if it happens, then it is as he wanted, correct?

Old 10-03-2007, 05:28 PM

Quote:
If we observed creatures evolve, this would be ok with you then. In fact, this would be another affirmation of the god hypothesis since if it happens, then it is as he wanted, correct?
Well, I hope you don't think I'd ignore direct observational evidence of creatures evolving... Trees and shrubs in the north are hardier and smaller. Dogs have definitely "evolved" whether by human intervention, interbreeding with wolves, etc, I'm definitely not discounting this. IMO, there is a certain amount of adaptation that God has created every living thing with, so everything won't die at the first unusual cold snap or sudden change in environment, for an example.

Old 10-03-2007, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Well, I hope you don't think I'd ignore direct observational evidence
Why not? Belief trumps all, doesn't it?

So if I'm reading you correctly, things could have evolved to what we have today (provided it wasn't mentioned specifically in the bible as being created in the initial creation, like humans) and things could evolve to some new form tomorrow. Correct?

Old 10-03-2007, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Why not? Belief trumps all, doesn't it?
No. Truth trumps all.

Quote:
So if I'm reading you correctly, things could have evolved to what we have today (provided it wasn't mentioned specifically in the bible as being created in the initial creation, like humans) and things could evolve to some new form tomorrow. Correct?
If there is a species that God didn't create in the beginning, and we have it today, it obviously came about in some natural way, such as by cross-breeding, as in mules, etc. Nature will continue as it has. But I believe all the basic species were created at the beginning... I don't believe that just because it doesn't mention "tiger" in Genesis that God created a lion but let the tiger evolve from a fish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality